advertisement

Twitter and antisemitism

Are you being serious? A joke is a joke, it is only unfunny when the joke is used to belittle or insult someone.
Talk about a sense of humour failure.

Ban comedy it might upset someone!!!

This is an oversimplification and is perhaps the central issue in this matter . When and what comedy is offensive and should be banned ? Should anti-Semitic tweets even if funny [ to some one ] be banned .

The answer cannot be all comedy which is belittling or insulting should be censored , as most comedy is cruel and/or insulting .

I find the notion that you can ban speech just because it is offensive deeply troubling.

I agree if the speech is just offensive, but at some point it crosses the line into inciting violence, and at that point I think there is some justification in banning it.

This is an oversimplification and is perhaps the central issue in this matter . When and what comedy is offensive and should be banned ? Should anti-Semitic tweets even if funny [ to some one ] be banned .

The answer cannot be all comedy which is belittling or insulting should be censored , as most comedy is cruel and/or insulting .

How much do you see of frankie boyle on tv now?

I'd say very little of comedy is cruel or insulting. Racist tweets cannot be considered comedy in any viewpoint, if someone finds it funny they have no sense of humour.

It's extraordinarily difficult to define a joke told in a way that is teasing but not meant to be offensive, and compare it to something that is downright offensive in a Frankie Boyle sort of way. Putting out racist jokes on Twitter for this very reason is moronic.
I'm not sure Twitter should police and monitor throughput officially, but they should flag something dodgy to the authorities and then investigate further when the authorities ask them to do so.

. . .
I'm not sure Twitter should police and monitor throughput officially, but they should flag something dodgy to the authorities and then investigate further when the authorities ask them to do so.

I don't think that twitter should police user created content but they should record all data so that if a country has a problem with any of the content then the legal mechanism of that jurisdiction should then contact twitter so as to investigate the complaint made to them. Otherwise you may well have twitter attempting to react to extra territorial pressures to censor data that may well be legal in some countries but not those making censorship demands. In the case of anti-Semitism as to what is an is not acceptable may well differ when viewed from Israel or Iran hence dealing should be between twitter and the authorities representing those complaining. Another example might be that of an NGO highlighting some working conditions in a country and rather than take up the issue with the NGO the country in question goes for the server rather than test the complaint in court.

I'd say very little of comedy is cruel or insulting. Racist tweets cannot be considered comedy in any viewpoint, if someone finds it funny they have no sense of humour.

YOUR ANSWER IS DEVOID OF Humanity and Nuance .

What someone finds funny is like someone's sexuality , very difficult to define and for them to be concerned with not you . [within the law ] it is churlish to try and separate good funny from bad funny . ALL Comedy pokes fun at someone , someone or something is always the butt of the joke [even if its self deprecating like Charlie Chaplin or Fraser ] . Most comedians reconcile this fact by stating they take the piss out of the powerful [ rich , politicians , celebrities ] or themselves .

Speaking of Frankie Boyle , he as a better explanation which goes along the lines of the fact that we are all living on a planet that will die , we will die long before it and it is absolutely central to understand that comedy is one way of dealing with it and understanding what it is to be human and nothing but nothing should be banned .

It is also ridiculous to conflate a joke I tell with my opinion , comedy is a proposition and exploration of the proposition it is not advocacy . Additionally laughing at particular joke does not mean you advocate the ideas or sentiments within .

And ultimately , don't like don't listen , but it is a safe way to consider and explore what your society at any one time doesn't like to be vocalised .

I agree if the speech is just offensive, but at some point it crosses the line into inciting violence, and at that point I think there is some justification in banning it.

Therein lies the problem. Who determines when any given statement crosses over from just being offensive to actually inciting hatred.

It's not illegal in this country (UK) to be racist, nor is it illegal to be racially offensive. It IS how ever illegal to incite racial hatred or violence.

I defend the right of everyone to be offensive, not least because practically everything is offensive to somebody but also because that way leads the slippery slope to thought crime and oppression, (who decides what is or isn't offensive? the government? if so which political leaning? and under pressure from whom?).

However, I will never defend anyone who chooses to cause suffering to others in a tangible way such as direct/indirect violence to the person or an attack on their lively hood or fair chance at gaining employment etc.

So in saying that I think anyone that finds racist tweets funny have no sense of humour, or that there is no place for racism I am devoid of any humanity.

Stop what you are smoking it clearly isn't good for your perception.

It is also ridiculous to conflate a joke I tell with my opinion , comedy is a proposition and exploration of the proposition it is not advocacy . Additionally laughing at particular joke does not mean you advocate the ideas or sentiments

That's exactly what it is, if you laugh at jokes about black people you are agreeing with the subject of the joke. I don't know about you but I find racist jokes to be completely unfunny. Anyone that finds racist jokes funny is themselves racist!

Therein lies the problem. Who determines when any given statement crosses over from just being offensive to actually inciting hatred.

It's not illegal in this country (UK) to be racist, nor is it illegal to be racially offensive. It IS how ever illegal to incite racial hatred or violence.

I defend the right of everyone to be offensive, not least because practically everything is offensive to somebody but also because that way leads the slippery slope to thought crime and oppression, (who decides what is or isn't offensive? the government? if so which political leaning? and under pressure from whom?).

However, I will never defend anyone who chooses to cause suffering to others in a tangible way such as direct/indirect violence to the person or an attack on their lively hood or fair chance at gaining employment etc.

This for me [ to be arty farty] is postmodernist philosophy and problematic . Essentially in our desire for liberty , freedom and individualism we have arrived at a world were opinion A is just as valid as opinion b .

Politicians , celebrities and joe public can be seen spouting any old shit on the TV cause we have abandoned our critical judgement in favour of everyone's right to say any old shit in the name of freedom of speech .

What you get is a world founded on bullshit turning to chaos were everyone justifies what they do by reference to their own moral and intellectual code .

Thus freedom of speech should extend to the concept of "shut the **** up you are talking crap and this is why .

On the television , I would silence the person who talked shite and a voice over would come on and say " the following person who offered their opinion on welfare reform for news at 10 as been silenced because what Mr Mescalito had to say was shit" :D

freedom of speech is not freedom to talk bollocks , we need a freedom and encouragement to challenge .

Who are you to say what is or isn't bollox?

As far as I can see most of what you have written so far is bollox, does that mean I can ban you from saying anything else?

The guiding ideology of our time is: “If you like this, then you will love that”. That basically means, “If you like yesterday we are going to give you more of yesterday so you never get a tomorrow”.

could be the answer to questions in numerous threads on pfm.

That's exactly what it is, if you laugh at jokes about black people you are agreeing with the subject of the joke. I don't know about you but I find racist jokes to be completely unfunny. Anyone that finds racist jokes funny is themselves racist!

Bullshit ,

As a matter of fact their is no such thing as a racist joke , there are jokes about race , it is not for you to decide if it is racist . Go and watch Richard Prior do his jokes about black men , now for a white man who laughs is that racist ?

Utter nonesense. The basis of all comedy is cruelty & mocking.

Chris

Who are you to say what is or isn't bollox?

As far as I can see most of what you have written so far is bollox, does that mean I can ban you from saying anything else?

Know it means you have the right to say so and argue with me and you know what I'm a very clever man [ as most people are ] and if you prove its bollocks I will change my mind and never utter the disproved words again .

Its called dialectic improvement .

Now if only you could progress from rhetoric to advocacy and argumentation we might get some where .

So in saying that I think anyone that finds racist tweets funny have no sense of humour, or that there is no place for racism I am devoid of any humanity.

Stop what you are smoking it clearly isn't good for your perception.

There are some very, very funny racist, sexist, gay, jewish, crippleist, moslemist, geordieist, scouserist, brummyist, cockneyist jokes. A lot of them are outrageous & totally non- PC.

They are still very funny. How often have you heard someone say " I shouldn't laugh, but....").

Humour defuses situations. Only the terminally po-faced get upset about it.

Chris

YOUR ANSWER IS DEVOID OF Humanity and Nuance .

What someone finds funny is like someone's sexuality , very difficult to define and for them to be concerned with not you . [within the law ] it is churlish to try and separate good funny from bad funny . ALL Comedy pokes fun at someone , someone or something is always the butt of the joke [even if its self deprecating like Charlie Chaplin or Fraser ] . Most comedians reconcile this fact by stating they take the piss out of the powerful [ rich , politicians , celebrities ] or themselves .

Speaking of Frankie Boyle , he as a better explanation which goes along the lines of the fact that we are all living on a planet that will die , we will die long before it and it is absolutely central to understand that comedy is one way of dealing with it and understanding what it is to be human and nothing but nothing should be banned .

It is also ridiculous to conflate a joke I tell with my opinion , comedy is a proposition and exploration of the proposition it is not advocacy . Additionally laughing at particular joke does not mean you advocate the ideas or sentiments within .

And ultimately , don't like don't listen , but it is a safe way to consider and explore what your society at any one time doesn't like to be vocalised .

+1

Chris

advertisement

Back