advertisement

System pics 2012

It is quite simply - superb, one of the best bits of kit I've ever bought! It just gets on with it, you don't notice it is in the musical chain, and my speakers have gone from being directional to disappearing! The headphone output is very good as well, I've been road testing quite a few pairs of headphones recently for late night listening.

Regarding an ADC, it doesn't need one, as it has an analogue input and an analogue volume control (which initially I assumed went from 0-100 but in fact goes from 0-240 so it out taps Spinal Tap!!). In effect it is a two input pre-amp with one source being the DAC (which has 7 inputs).

I have played av few high res files and whilst they were definitely more detailed, I base my music listening on what I want to listen to rather than have some super audiophool dictate what I listen to.

I know their website isn't detailed, but anyone in the market for a DAC at that price point should really listen to one. There is a review in August's Hi-Fi news, who describe it is very transparent, which certainly matches my thoughts, interesting comments from Tech Director of Leema as well - "We specify a power supply which allows the product to give it's maximum performance. We don't believe in selling a customer extra units in order to obtain full performance". That said it would be interesting to compare it against the M-DAC + M-PAX PSU later in the year, the two will be about the same price. Personally though I didn't like the M-DAC when I heard it, and certainly prefer a solution that doesn't require fiddling with!!

What are the speakers Mr P? The Leema has been on my drool list for a while. I'd love to get the main system down to just that and a pair of actives.

My Jadis Orchestra.

SAM_0266.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa383/jadisman77/SAM_0262.jpg

I was going to sell it after I bought a DA30 but the sale fell through and I decided to keep it as I can't decide which one I like best!

The speakers are Mackie HR624 MkII's http://www.mackie.com/products/hrmk2series/

Prices vary a lot, I paid just under £600 for the pair.

They are active studio monitors, but have a wider dispersion than many, they are not too bright at the top end, and have a bass ABR so are good and controlled at the bottom end. I prefer something fast in the bass rather than ported designs. A whole pile of settings on the back to help with positioning, and you can attentuate the input gain, which I have done to give me more range with the Leema volume control.

James you are not a million miles away (about 50-60) so if you want to pop across to listen to them, you are more than welcome, just PM me to arrange.

The speakers are Mackie HR624 MkII's http://www.mackie.com/products/hrmk2series/

Prices vary a lot, I paid just under £600 for the pair.

They are active studio monitors, but have a wider dispersion than many, they are not too bright at the top end, and have a bass ABR so are good and controlled at the bottom end. I prefer something fast in the bass rather than ported designs. A whole pile of settings on the back to help with positioning, and you can attentuate the input gain, which I have done to give me more range with the Leema volume control.

James you are not a million miles away (about 50-60) so if you want to pop across to listen to them, you are more than welcome, just PM me to arrange.

Thanks for the offer :) Looking at the Mackies they mention close to wall and corner placement not ideal, so probably not best suited to my small playroom. Be interesting to hear anyway.

James

That I'm surprised about, since wall mounting is mentioned in the manual!! There is an 'Acoustic Space' switch on the rear, basically this has settings for corner, wall or free space.

Wow. I didn't know it was made in "silver". Beautiful! May I ask how it sounds compared to the DA30?

Hi egoBen. There are so many variables its hard to make generalisations. Class A versus Class AB, auto versus fixed bias etc. and then we get on to different tubes. Probably worth a thread of its own. But if I had to sum up I'd say the the DA30 has slightly tighter bass, but the Orchestra goes a bit louder and to my ears has the sweater mid-range. Having said that, it all seems to be very tube dependent. To my ears the Orchestra sounds best with 6CA7s.

Sharing a better image for a change =) Don't mind the headless monster on the floor =)

2012-05-25%2520IMG_4814.JPG

Edit: PC is not used any more, but I do not have a more recent picture...

Looks like some serious cooling on the uncased pc. Is that a Noctua fan jammed between 2 heatsinks?
I like the wooden panelling behind too.

Looks like some serious cooling on the uncased pc. Is that a Noctua fan jammed between 2 heatsinks?
I like the wooden panelling behind too.

Thanks =)

Yes, it's the Noctua's NH-D14 idd =) The wooden thing on the rear wall is actually a huge acoustic panel. It's been designed after professional measuring of the room and built for it.

advertisement

Back