advertisement

Russ Andrews Mains distrbution blocks

There would be but one way to find out. I certainly would not take what the manufacturer had to say as gospel.

Why can't people just invest a little time listening to the effect their equipment has on the music? Then they can kick back and enjoy their music more.

The problem I have with this is that it only works if the tests are truely blind as no one likes to spend 100's or even 1000's and not hear something , so the psychologist RA works his magic on that principle (have a read about the psychology of selling).

I however do have some of his kit, as do my friends and we have tested his cables against cheaper brands (blind), and the difference? none that I could detect, tho the owners, unsurprisingly felt differently when advised.

So I personally made my own power cables at 1/3rd the cost of one of his wattgates and suggest the original poster consider this before paying his outrageous prices.

Fox there are no unsubstantiated claims and no substantiated ones either. Welcome to the real world. It is an uncertain place.

Fox there are no unsubstantiated claims and no substantiated ones either. Welcome to the real world. It is an uncertain place.

there are lots of claims on there website but i cannot see any that have been substantiated apart from some reviews....one claim is that they improve the artists intent.....i wonder were you got that phrase from....

Thanks to those for the useful responses. It appears that there aren't many people using them around here. The 'buy and try' approach from Russ is at least quite convenient and worth a go I think. I know that a good mains spur is the correct way to go, but that's later when I have my own house!

@Mike Reed, which actual RA products do you have?

Cheers
Goose

Gosh ! Page three already, and what a load of bollards have been spoken; with humour, of course.

GOOSE, Whatever you do, don't ever install a SPUR, as others advise. This is an offshoot from an existing circuit (ring main, usually). I think they mean a RADIAL CIRCUIT, which is a different ball game entirely. This means separate cables to a separate MCB, RCD or (combined) RCBO. It is a full circuit in itself, and is called radial 'cos it radiates from a point, like spokes in a wheel.

My mains block is (referring to latest catalogue),

THE POWERBLOCK (eight MK sockets), plus 2m Ref. cable with IEC and 13 amp plugs.

Having your own dedicated mains cable (s) is a no-brainer, but unfortunately rarely possible in rental properties and some flats. I guess a high quality, but not necessaily R.A., mains block to a single ring main socket is the way to go. As my house was to be temporary when I moved north ten years ago, this was the solution I took; no regrets, as I've used the block for my TV on the odd occasion; bit of overkill but what the Hell.:)

Hello, does anyone use the Russ Andrews 'The Mains Block' with one of the cables like 'The Reference Power Chord'??

At the moment I have I have an old CHord Comapny 4 way distribution block with the Crabtree ( old Naim ) mains cables into a DV/Shahinian system which work ok, but I remember trying the Kimber stuff many years ago and enjoying them. Since I can't find the Kimber distrib blocks, Russ A stuff seems the next contender..

Over the years I have tried several brands to varying effect, but wondered if anyone is getting on well with the Russ A stuff?? I know they have a good returns policy, so may just try!

CHeers
Goose

Goose getting back to the actual original question and not RA slapping, honestly there are alternative's.

I personally would recommend a 2nd hand mini sub GII for the kind of money you are talking, its a mains conditioner and it works.

there are lots of claims on there website but i cannot see any that have been substantiated apart from some reviews....one claim is that they improve the artists intent.....i wonder were you got that phrase from....

So you choose now to misrepresent a manufacturer with your obtuseness. Performance becomes intent in your mind only and for the purpose of mischief.

Artist intent if there is such a thing is pre-ordained. The performance is altogether more spontaneous expression.

Fox there are no unsubstantiated claims and no substantiated ones either.

I'm pretty sure a claim can only be either substantiated or unsubstantiated; it is or it isn't, anything else is meaningless -- like being "almost pregnant".

Wow, what an 'varying' thread. :)..

On my past many years of travel through hifi land having heard many different types of interconnects, speaker cable and mains cable all making a difference to the overall sound produced. To me it's a case of careful balance and maximising the performance of the audio components. If something that costs 150 quid makes a discernable difference/improvement to the overall sound and gets some extra performance, then it's good right? A little like fine tuning to what you want.

I know that a decidated mains supply is eventually better the right way and I do object to throwing money at 'expensive cables', but from a direct listening test of a particular mains cables in MY house on MY pre-amp changed the music, in this case, just different, but not necessarily more enjoyable. It then starts one thinking again.

I am aware of a few of the different products on the market and wanted to hear some people's opinions who own some of the RA products, as a point of interest. As jaz9706 says, the part before the cable to clean up the mains is actually the real issue

@MIke Reed, OK, I'll check out the website and have a look. How come you don't use it anymore?

Cheers
Goose

Hi Goose

Glad you have seen sense, the other great thing about a mini sub is that the resale values are solid.

Its a no brainer really.

Wow, what an 'varying' thread. :)..

I know that a decidated mains supply is eventually better the right way and I do object to throwing money at 'expensive cables'

@MIke Reed, OK, I'll check out the website and have a look. How come you don't use it anymore?

Cheers
Goose

A dedicated mains supply still uses all the mains cables and I/C cables that you'd usually need.

Can somebody tell me the difference between a CABLE and a LEAD? My dictionary only differentiates by stating that a LEAD connects from source to an appliance. Ergo, a MAINS LEAD connects the appliance (hifi kit) to the source (plug, socket or w.h.y.) An I/C simply conveys electricity, much as a mains (T & E) CABLE does. Silly sod, I've answered my own question !!:mad:

GOOSE, I have six 10mm and two 6mm T & E cables to my consumer unit; one per piece of kit, plus spare. I COULD use the R.A. block on my office or kitchen system, but I already have a cheaper, in-line R.A. block for that.

. I'm pretty sure a claim can only be either substantiated or unsubstantiated; it is or it isn't, anything else is meaningless -- like being "almost pregnant".

You are presuming that an objective claim has been made at all.

That is actually irrelevant (I'm still pretty sure a claim can only be either substantiated or unsubstantiated) irrespective of how "objective"* a claim is.

Although I see there are lots of claims made on the Musicworks website. http://www.musicworks-hifi.com/products/

*also irrelevant.

Will someone explain why it is only the mains that collects the RFI?

I would have thought anyone with any knowledge of RFI would know that it gets collected (received) by the equipment itself. So therefore RFI is already inside the HiFi and the cable or interconnect will never stop that.

Look again lots of claims are made:

Are these substantiated or unsubstantiated claims or this mysterious third state -- the Higgs-boson of Stephen Toy's universe?

...there’s no going back and conventional tables sound smeared and tuneless by comparison.

a cost effective approach to accessing the coherence that a MusicWorks mains block brings to a system

“We added the £600 MusicWorks ReFlex 6-way mains block, leaving everything else alone,and went back to the music. Tighter, more tuneful bass and better timing gave an improved sense of musical flow

just three from a rapid reccie (before bits of sick started to well up in my mouth).

My own experience of these things;

Bought a RA "Silencer Block" some 5 or 6 years back for about £340 including mains lead and was satisfied it made a beneficial difference in my system. (LP12/AAA5/Avondaled Naim 32.5/Avoldale APX2/Avondale 260Z/Castle Howards)

Corresponded with Roy K Riches via PinkFish a few years back who provided to me his papers on Hi-Fi mains. I also acquired a couple of his "Beast" mains leads for a reasonable sum and was again satisfied that there was a beneficial difference in my system.

I have in the last couple of months built a DIY 6-way hydra based on RKR's guidance to replace the RA mains block. Cost about £30 since I have retained all the same mains leads but £20 of this was a new E-Bay sourced Wattgate plug since I had cut one of the "Beasts" in two. I was blown away by the significant improvement in my system, should have ditched the RA mains block ages ago! Mains leads remain a mixture of RA and RKR "Beasts" but hardwired to the hydra, removes a few fuses from the equation.

I sold the RA mains block on E-Bay for £150 and received a message from the very satisfied buyer who was delighted with the improvement it made in the sound of his Arcam System!

You pays your money you take your choice as they say!

advertisement

Back