advertisement

The most musical Naim preamp is……..

My favourites are certainly the ‘chrome bumper’ era. I remember all the olive stuff coming out and gradually losing interest. I’ve never owned a Naim preamp later than a 32.5/HiCap and I’d be tempted to cite that as the high-watermark, though I’d want to spend time with a 12 or 22 before drawing that conclusion. I spent hours and hours listening to the 102, 82, 52 etc and there was always something rather cold and detached to the sound I just didn’t connect with. This being the point I moved onto other things. If I ever returned to Naim it would only be to a classic ‘chrome bumper’ rig. I suspect peak value is somewhere around a 42/SNAPS/160. I can’t see myself ever revisiting now, but that’s the sort of amp that could tempt me.

I mothballed my Naim kit a few years back but am just about to dig it out and start using it again. When I do it I'm going to start by trying just the 32.5 and one of the 140's first, then try that with a couple of the power supplies I have (sadly only a SNAPS2 and a Flatcap) before going with the full active set-up with the 2nd 140 and the IXO (and another Flatcap).

I ran a 32.5/SNAPS2/140 set-up into Credos for quite a few years and liked it, so it'll be nice to hear it again.

So the lower the model number, the more musical it is?

Maybe! FWIW it always used to be quite simple; the 12 was the first two-channel preamp they made, the 22 the second, 32 the third etc. It bore no relation to quality or price-point, e.g. the 52 was designed before the 62, 72, 82 or 92. Since they changed hands the logic seems less clear.

PS The power amps were both channels output into 4 Ohms combined, e.g. a 250 was 2x125W/4, a 110 2x55W/4 etc. Strange given everyone else used an 8 Ohm value, but Naim are gonna Naim.

^ That way of counting makes the numbers look embiggened.
You wouldn't sell many '135's if more properly rated at 60-65w.

illustration - hey, I'm running a 72 into 2 x 60s!

Last edited:
My favourite Naim preamp is the NAC52/Super, which is noticeably better than the NAC82/2HC.
Yep - I loved mine. But it had to be on Mana. 😜
But oh what a box count, cable nightmare (remember Hydras anyone?) and dust magnet.
Started with CD3/NAC102/NAP180/NAT03 + Dynaudio Contour 1.8MKII but "graduated" to CDX/XPS, NAC52/Supercap, Nap135 x 2, NAT02 (still with the Dynaudio Contours). Everything (inc. speakers) on Mana.
Was it "accurate"? Who knows? Did it grab you by the <insert bodily part of your choosing> and say "let's get it on"? Oh yes! Happy days!

But oh what a box count, cable nightmare (remember Hydras anyone?) and dust magnet.
Started with CD3/NAC102/NAP180/NAT03 + Dynaudio Contour 1.8MKII but "graduated" to CDX/XPS, NAC52/Supercap, Nap135 x 2, NAT02 (still with the Dynaudio Contours). Everything (inc. speakers) on Mana.
All my kit, except for loudspeakers, are still ensconced in Mana. At the peak of my audio silliness, I had (counts fingers) 10 boxes and 8 A/C cables just for the Naim bits. The 82/2HC needed three power cords alone!

You wouldn't sell many '135's if more properly rated at 60-65w.
I'll never know exactly how much a pair of 135s put out into 4-ohms. The illusion that they have an iron-grip and can handle any loudspeaker was shattered when the Ergo E-Vs came along.

I'll never know exactly how much a pair of 135s put out into 4-ohms. The illusion that they have an iron-grip and can handle any loudspeaker was shattered when the Ergo E-Vs came along.
The 135s heroically choked when I tried driving Sonus Faber Extremas with a pair.Passively biamping them with 4x135 was brilliant though

The thing about Naim is the box count can get ridiculous. I've been offered a 72/Hi/Naxo/Hi & SBLs at a stupid low price and I'd still have to source at least a couple of stereo amps to complete the set up. It's just too many boxes, cables and power points. Presently I have a Nait 2 into IBLs.

Anyway, I enjoyed all my Naims for a long time. I have zero regrets but sorely disappointed when Naim got sold to Vervent/Focal.

32.5 with no additional power supply.
If you don't need the PSU, agreed. 32.5/110 was more fun than adding a Hi-Cap (something I did twice to make sure). With a 250, the 32.5/SC was great (but overpriced, better vfm I suspect with a Sean Jacobs or Teddy Pardo supply).

I only ever had a 72 then a 72/Hi-Cap and then a 252/Supercap2 then doing the DR upgrade. All were very fine in their own ways. For me - 72/Hi-Cap was significantly preferable to the 62. The 252/Supercap2 is also fine in a different way - but for a very significant price difference. Went to listen to a 332 recently with 333 - and came away feeling underwhelmed.

As my NDX went pop - I have put the 252/Supercap2 DR / 300DR along with the speakers into storage until I move house. I actually have 2 x Atom HE with Acoustic Energy AE1 actives in different rooms which works rather well - I play it less loudly - but enjoy that more encompassing sound as I move around. There is also a Mu-So (early one) filling in. I also have Focal Clear MGs for when I want to go loud. There is something very different about a good pair of headphones which I am learning to appreciate.

Had several Naim pre-amps over the years. NAC62 was very good. NAC 282 was probably my favourite. Didn’t get on with the 252. Found it bland after the 282. Did also enjoy the 52, but the 282 was the one I wish I still had.

Reactions: agm
I guess it depends on system synergy and also there will be some variation in sound quality now, with different samples of the same amp. Those old Chrome Bumper Naim amps have something special that the later variants lost IMHE…….a Nac 42.5 is such good fun if you can find a good one !

advertisement

Back