advertisement

Mains IEC Connectors, I never realised !!

Jeez.

To re-iterate things long-posted by several people, many times here before:

..because the UK uses 240Vac mains, and a Class B 32A breaker on the ring.
You can, actually - you bloody-should - look-up the time: fault current curves for breakers...

So: a typical class B breaker doesn't get out of bed below 2 x overload for ~60s, so now you have potential 64A - likely rather more - as a sustained, prospective-fault-current, and that through some cheapo flex cable - is >> 24Kw, or if you like >32+HP dissipated as heat in a 'flex' - and that means fire , right-damn-quick.

Christ.

Who mentioned cheapo flex cable Martin? You guys need to find out what is actually happening before you conduct these witch hunts. If 30ma leaks from live to neutral the RCCB in the box will trip out. Nowhere is 64 amps going through cheapo mains flex cable, and all of the equipment being powered is double insulated.

Another thread that highlights why any discussion of altering or messing with mains electricity should be banned in the AUP.
I don't think that's true, at all.

There's a duty of care to protect people from idiocy; and that means - not necessarily , the idiot.

Who mentioned cheapo flex cable Martin? You guys need to find out what is actually happening before you conduct these witch hunts. If 30ma leaks from live to neutral the RCCB in the box will trip out. Nowhere is 64 amps going through cheapo mains flex cable.
You really, really, have not thought this through. Nor all the possible fault conditions.
We are also talking , about the flex cables themselves.

Jeez.

To re-iterate things long-posted by several people, many times here before:

..because the UK uses 240Vac mains, and a Class B 32A breaker on the ring.
You can, actually - you bloody-should - look-up the time: fault current curves for breakers...

So: a typical class B breaker doesn't get out of bed below 2 x overload for ~60s, so now you have potential 64A - likely rather more - as a sustained, prospective-fault-current, and that through some cheapo flex cable - is >> 24Kw, or if you like >32+HP dissipated as heat in a 'flex' - and that means fire , right-damn-quick.

Christ.

Who mentioned cheapo flex cable Martin? You guys need to find out what is actually happening before you conduct these witch hunts. If 30ma leaks from live to neutral the RCCB in the box will trip out. Nowhere is 64 amps going through cheapo mains flex cable.
I dont; think that's true, at all.

There's a duty of care to protect people from idiocy. and that means - not necessarily , the idiot.
So now you're calling me an idiot and you still haven't asked what is actually happening.

@thommy - I am definitely not calling you an idiot.
I was responding to a very-well-meant post by another, that I slightly disagree with.

This is not about 'you', at all. I don't think you are an idiot! I just hope you realise the potential ramifications of some of what you appear to assume / how it appears in partial disclosure so far. You've a bunch of DIY mains conditioners, on a lead, for which you've separately -derived an Earth Bond, sorry - your own earth stake. Of undefined impedance.
-that's a flex.

Maybe you'll post a full schematic, and the Pros here* will be re-assured. Maybe.

(* I'm not one, I just have ... a very-well-developed understanding, from working closely /with/ pros, inc medical electronics)

I don't think that's true, at all.

There's a duty of care to protect people from idiocy; and that means - not necessarily , the idiot.

Nope, once the post is made it's up there. Would be quite easy for someone to come along in 6 months not read the entire thread and then acquire a Darwin award.

J.C. Maxwell & O. Heaviside readily disagree...

Personal and close to home for myself, literally and figuratively as my gran was related to Jean Ferguson (her husband bought Glenlair house - home of James Clerk Maxwell) so I often spent time there running around as a kid and absorbed talk about Maxwell from my grandad who was a marine engineer in the 2nd world war then went onto be head engineer for the Galloway hydro scheme in SW Scotland based at Tongland in one of the hydro scheme cottages, I lived less than half a mile away from them so I was always hanging around and getting in the way as kids are prone to do :D, needless to say I was in awe of the massive turbines he kept serviced and the intricacies of the hydro scheme was such an eye opener to a kid there’s no wonder I did electronic/mechanical engineering at uni

Not sure what that has to do with it. I just added a direct earth line with lower resistance that isn't polluted by the other stuff in my house,

Until we have a period of dry weather and the soil/earth dries out and increases resistance above the ideal 1ohm to 5ohms for a consumer earth rod but certainly less than current absolute max value of 100ohms, go on………lick the casing of your mains conditioner in a long dry summer.

****do not do this***

(I think you needed telling)

:rolleyes:

Did you assess the soils resistivity beforehand?, did you use an earth enhancing compound in your hole?………you did dig a hole beforehand didn’t you?…..no?……go back to the beginning - you should really examine the substrate you are driving the 6ft earth rod into for suitability, have you since taken any resistance readings? - no?….go back to the beginning, I trust you have recorded these readings?, if so then what are they?.

...last time 'we' (project team) had a sub -1 ohm local earth impedance mat requirement* - it also took >100m of driven, 100mm casing - and that in 'good' wet clay soils in S Bristol.

A simple 'earth spike' is for the birds; 4-6ft of driven spike is going to be c 100ohms , at very best, in conducive soils in UK. No doubt @Somafunk can speak to much more detail there!

[* for the HV:LV substation; the permanent V20, quad-turbo 2.5MW backup up genny that was, &remains! also grid-tied as part of that project - sounded bloody amazing on full-load test; exceeded spec too: 0 to full output on test, <10s!]

Here’s an easy experiment for people to try if they don’t think mains cables can make a difference…

Make things deliberately “bad“ by plugging one item of your hi-fi in via a long extension reel into a distant mains socket. Can you hear any difference?

(Hint: while you’re at it, measure the AC voltage difference between the Earth of the extension and the Earth of your usual wall socket)
I wish @Robert still had his photos up of his makeshift hi-fi mains lead running off the pants press down the hall, via an electric drill on full tilt along the way, plus a few other odds and sods (toaster? microwave oven? drinks blender?). Think he did a couple of with/without recordings. This, from back before the internet police (i.e. Google ads) decided that they should be the ultimate arbitrator when it comes to who's IP should be allowed to be shared online.

...last time 'we' (project team) had a sub -1 ohm local earth impedance mat requirement* - it also took >100m of driven, 100mm casing - and that in 'good' wet clay soils in S Bristol.

A simple 'earth spike' is for the birds; 4-6ft of driven spike is going to be c 100ohms , at very best, in conducive soils in UK. No doubt @Somafunk can speak to much more detail there!

[* for the HV:LV substation; the permanent V20, quad-turbo 2.5MW backup up genny that was, &remains! also grid-tied as part of that project - sounded bloody amazing on full-load test; exceeded spec too: 0 to full output on test, <10s!]
I imagine your sub <1ohm requirements were backed up by application of the official “lick” test and recorded for officialdom ;)

I believe current regs recommend an absolute max of 200ohms but I have a suspicion this has been amended to 100ohms (with a teeny bit of allowable variance for a Friday afternoon job)

^ it was all about the new 11Kv HV : LV 2-3MVA transformer on-site

Lick- it ? - No thanks, too fizzy for me !

ETA - let's return this to normal pfm good humour:

At one early point , that project was going to have two independant transformers; i.e. dual-mono, in a stand-alone energy centre - and I (as architect) ..well obvs it was all going to be a certain Olive colour, because the total requirement inc HV:LV switch and a few other bits&bobs - then, exactly suited proportions of the classic Hicap box - when scaled -up to 3.2m high : D.

Got consents on that basis but - never got built-out that way. Sigh.

^ it was all about the new 11Kv HV : LV 2MVA transformer on site

Lick- it ? - No thanks, too fizzy for me ;)

Wuss, what’s wrong with a tingly top end?

You see……..this earth rod bollocks is the final nail in the coffin (quite possibly) so to speak and the natural conclusion of that very first experiment with a “synergistic research purple fuse” bought from PFM classifieds, so in a way this site is akin to a “pusher”. I’ll say one thing for the earth rod idea - it’s a damn site cheaper than a flight and weekend away at dignitas

I used to lie on top of these turbines as a kid, total of 15,000+hp underneath me with an 11000kW of tingle juice,

@Craig B, ah the zero gain forum test.
I believe we listened to samples of keys, coat hanger, kit kat wrapper, a potato and richer sounds freebie red and white.

And statistically, they all sounded the same.

‐------------------------------------------------------------

For about ten years I used silver wattgates, silver mk's, hubble plugs, all linked with 3mm solid silver mains cables. Made bugger all difference when replaced with literal kettle leads. Maybe I went deaf during that time. What certainly didn't happen was that my hifi got worse. Funnily enough every component got about 10db better in pretty much every noise and distortion measurement.

Any isolation transformer eg 1000VA that you can actually lift, is going to have many times higher dc resistance than any fuse or IEC cable.

Probably like other houses. Bonding the new earth to mains would defeat the point.
But might stop your installation killing you, your family, and everyone else in your substation supply if you are TNC and a supply neutral fault develops and your new earth becomes the neutral line for the whole postcode.

Suggest getting it checked by an electrician.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back