advertisement

Kef KM1 in need of repair.

Doesn't say how many drivers need "refurbishing". They avoided the word replacing which I think is more appropriate. But a rare beast.

Now that is a fab project purchase. Could certainly incorporate a much nicer base to complement the speaker, instead of those naff frames that others sat upon.

You don't see these very much, I think 50 pairs were made.

Given the Serial No. shown is 151 it suggests maybe more than 50prs made?? I can't make up my mind whether or not I'm interested. It could be an interesting project but I'd need to know whether it would be worthwhile sonically.

Regards

Richard

Bloody hell. They are crazy. Big weapons to do a big job.
The thing is guys, do any of you need to play music that loud? I think each one is stuffed full of Quad 405s...

Were they vandalized by a small child? Many dustcaps pushed in or missing.

Since the drivers are long out of production, how many old 105s would you need to provide donor units?

Were they vandalized by a small child? Many dustcaps pushed in or missing.

Since the drivers are long out of production, how many old 105s would you need to provide donor units?

Personally, I would get the units repaired.

The B300 is the one from the 105.2- you can tell due to the three mounting points. Substitutes might be easier to get as this was used in one of the KefKits of the time. CS9- although that's a guess from memory.

Whether the drivers were specced the same, I don't know.

I asked what had been tested etc and this was the respnse I got.

"We have tested both sets of amplifiers and speakers. The lower set power up and audio plays through them. However, the top mid/bass unit isn't functioning correctly. The other set powers up but no audio playback. These amplifiers were built by Quad and I'm sure they would be able to perform the necessary servicing to get them up and running correctly again."

So one b110 needs replacing and the other speaker who knows, would be a brave person to take these on.
The b110 is a SP1186, the b300 is a SP1196 and the t52 a SP1187. As far as I'm aware they're all unique to the km1

It looks very much like the construction of the treble/mid section may be similar to the Kef 104.2, in which case you have a very big problem because those B110's are not individually replaceable.

The rubber surrounds are glued directly to the baffle and there is no basket as such. The magnet assembly is attached to the back of the pod.

Could be a bit of a boat anchor! Maybe the seller has already realised that. There may be value in some of those bass drivers as parts but I doubt these are fixable as a whole.

Good Evening All,

These definitely sound like a challenge........ unfortunately I like challenges ( I keep telling Kate that :))..............

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

These definitely sound like a challenge........ unfortunately I like challenges ( I keep telling Kate that :))..............

Regards

Richard

Richard,

I don't know who Kate is, but I suspect she may be up on a murder charge soon if you buy the KM1s. :D

It looks very much like the construction of the treble/mid section may be similar to the Kef 104.2, in which case you have a very big problem because those B110's are not individually replaceable.

The rubber surrounds are glued directly to the baffle and there is no basket as such. The magnet assembly is attached to the back of the pod.

Could be a bit of a boat anchor! Maybe the seller has already realised that. There may be value in some of those bass drivers as parts but I doubt these are fixable as a whole.

Just what I was going to say.

Richard,

I don't know who Kate is, but I suspect she may be up on a murder charge soon if you buy the KM1s. :D

Kate is my wife - she tolerates quite a bit as I finance the horses.....

In all honesty I am reading a lot of negative comments and at 140kg's each there is a transport problem. Designed to produce 120dB at 2mtrs = loud

Regards

Richard

I’m more than up for the challenge of bringing these back to life. Sadly I suspect they’ll be going for more than I can afford currently.

advertisement

Back