advertisement

DACs -- Bit perfect +filters

vacuum_tubes

pfm Member
The r2r thread got me thinking, so if we feed a DAC a bit perfect FLAC/WAV file but that DAC uses filters is the sound still bit perfect or a true representation of what was in the original source file?

Also, find it strange that ASR get all excited about SNR when anything better than 90dB is moot. A much better measurement or something I'd be more interested in is the settling time of the DAC or measurements for its slew rate, delay and settling time

Personally I'm not an objectivist so DAC choices are made by listening to them for a few weeks but the theory still interests me.

PS - No I won't post this question on ASR as I'm not a member and can't stand the place :)

It’s bit perfect in that the bits the DAC ultimately gets are ‘as recorded’. The filter as I understand is analogue and smooths out the staircase shape that an ideal DAC would output into the correct smoothly changing waveform.

As always, if only it were that simple but as far as I’ve got it the answer is ‘yes’ and ‘yes’

What’s interesting is if you click on the eBay link on that r2r thread and check out the photos, that’s what no filter looks like .. all
Those little steps.

The r2r thread got me thinking, so if we feed a DAC a bit perfect FLAC/WAV file but that DAC uses filters is the sound still bit perfect or a true representation of what was in the original source file?
The mathematical formula for "this is how you reconstruct a continuous function (e.g. an audio waveform) from its samples" was published in a paper by E.T.Whittaker in the Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1915. That's what a DAC has to do. The mathematicians were on the case in an abstract sense well before digital audio. The formula actually involves a linear phase (sinc) filter.

Broadly, you can't implement the formula perfectly but modern engineering gets close. The audio question is "how close matters to you?"

Most (but not all) DACs 20 years ago were close enough for me to ignore their imperfections in comparison to the imperfections of other parts of an audio system. And DACs today get even closer. Even very modest ones. But everyone has their own answer to that question. Hence various discussions and disagreements.

Don;t want to be picky- but this question is a bit confusing. The bits are in effect the sample values, which should strictly be the sample values of the original signal after it has first been band-limited. Even then they are probably not actually the values recorded by the original adc (which will almost certainly nowadays be some form of delta sigma design not running at the distribution format sample rate or bit depth). It might be the same set of sample values as were spat out when the ADC first converted to PCM.

So bit perfect probably means that the bits are not altered relative to the distribution format (16/44, 24/96 etc).

This could be true up to the point that the bits are converted to analogue, but it has no meaning when applied to "the sound".

As @John Phillips points out, the filter is necessary to convert the sample values back into the original signal. If done properly the whole adc/dac loop can be accurate to an arbitrary degree ie the output can be made to be about as similar as you can be bothered to the orginal band-limited signal.

A dac could convert to analogue without any digital filter using only an analogue filter. or no filter. If it uses a digital filter this will by definition involve changing the bits such that the bitstream will not be "bit perfect". However that is not the same as saying that the filtered bitstream is not an accurate representation of the original (pre-sampling sigal) or even the original sampled bitstream,. It will almost certainly be a more accurate representation than any analogue filtered output let alone an unfiltered dac output. Ultimately that's all that matters.

Also, find it strange that ASR get all excited about SNR when anything better than 90dB is moot. A much better measurement or something I'd be more interested in is the settling time of the DAC or measurements for its slew rate, delay and settling time
Hmmm, I'm not really following. The first bit -yup dacs can basically be made accurate to an extent which exceeds the limits of human hearing.

The next bit is a non-sequitur. I'm not sure what exactly you want. if you look at a J test, it measures what a dac does when producing a sgnal of minimum level and near- maximum level at the same time. If you look at what a competently designed dac does when faced with such a signal, the answer is essentially- do exactly what the bits say and nothing else. On recent designs you can resolve one bit toggling on and off in a 24 bit system. ie at -144dB. You can also look at what the dac does when faced with 32 different tones, and again the answer is pretty much nothing down to -120dB or lower in the audible range. (You will always have some amount of distortion in the real world). of curse one could always measure for something else, but do not be taken in by the flagrant and oft-repeated lie that only one measurement is taken, or by the fantasy that there is one measurement around the corner which will show that an LP12 has a more accurate output than a topping dac.

Last edited:
You are never far away from an LP12 reference on this forum, even in a digital thread!
I think 'bit perfect' is audiophile cat-nip, as Darko would call it (great phrase) bandied around by music server hardware and music server software providers. Bit perfect relative to the distribution format is a good way to see it. But, once any processing - filtering or volume - is done then the samples values will be different by some amount. Schitt claim to have a filter where the original sample values are not changed but, obviously the new interpolated values are different to anything inputted to the filter. And in a DAC bits don't come out so you have to go from bit perfect to not bit perfect at some point.

I would caution against the use of the term 'bitstream' in the context of PCM as it is usually associated with DSD.

There are those that say the reconstruction filter does more to harm the analogue signal, or the listening experience than not having one at all....
Most purest NOS DACs have no reconstruction filter.

I wouldn't use the term 'purest' in conjunction with a NOS DAC. And I wouldn't want the DAC in an airport landing radar to be NOS, nor in a medical imager but people rarely die as a result of listening to their stereos so its acceptable in this application. When audio components are compared I think 'does one allow through some special musical essence that the other does not' or 'does one add something to the signal that makes it more pleasing'? For a DAC reconstruction filter it could be that the band limiting has a deleterious effect either due to the amplitude response or the phase response, or both. But, then, oversampling should improve or remove that issue? OTOH, maybe people like the effect of aliasing but high frequencies are the most likely to alias and musical energy is low there so perhaps aliasing is not really a problem?
There are many ways to skin the audio cat and, frankly, they all seem to work pretty well but things like NOS give companies a unique selling point and give people a flag to rally around.

Don;t want to be picky- but this question is a bit confusing. The bits are in effect the sample values, which should strictly be the sample values of the original signal after it has first been band-limited. Even then they are probably not actually the values recorded by the original adc (which will almost certainly nowadays be some form of delta sigma design not running at the distribution format sample rate or bit depth). It might be the same set of sample values as were spat out when the ADC first converted to PCM.

So bit perfect probably means that the bits are not altered relative to the distribution format (16/44, 24/96 etc).

This could be true up to the point that the bits are converted to analogue, but it has no meaning when applied to "the sound".

As @John Phillips points out, the filter is necessary to convert the sample values back into the original signal. If done properly the whole adc/dac loop can be accurate to an arbitrary degree ie the output can be made to be about as similar as you can be bothered to the orginal band-limited signal.

A dac could convert to analogue without any digital filter using only an analogue filter. or no filter. If it uses a digital filter this will by definition involve changing the bits such that the bitstream will not be "bit perfect". However that is not the same as saying that the filtered bitstream is not an accurate representation of the original (pre-sampling sigal) or even the original sampled bitstream,. It will almost certainly be a more accurate representation than any analogue filtered output let alone an unfiltered dac output. Ultimately that's all that matters.

Understand how DACs work etc but it was more a "philosophical" question on filters and the quest for "as the artist originally intended" etc. I'm not talking about reconstruction filters but many DACs have custom filters to create "flavours" of sound, Auralic have ones like precise, dynamic, balance and smooth etc.

Probably worded it wrong in that I assumed people would know I wasn't talking about the DAC 'operating' filters.

My question was (trying to be) if people are looking for an exact reproduction of what was in the audio file are these custom/additional filters preventing that and you've answered or confirmed that.

I often see people quoting certain DACs as their choice because of its accuracy but in reality these have additional filters that are changing or EQ'ing the sound so they are not in real terms accurate.

I often see people quoting certain DACs as their choice because of its accuracy but in reality these have additional filters that are changing or EQ'ing the sound so they are not in real terms accurate.
Correct. Its the same for upsampling/oversampling too. Both significantly change the resultant music that is output from the DAC. With a good NOS DAC with no reconstruction filter you should be able to hear a holographic soundstage with great stereo depth.

I wouldn't use the term 'purest' in conjunction with a NOS DAC. And I wouldn't want the DAC in an airport landing radar to be NOS, nor in a medical imager but people rarely die as a result of listening to their stereos so its acceptable in this application.
The fact that Nos dacs work at all for music actually shows how laughably insensitive our hearing is. There is no conceivable argument for them being more accurate either in the time or frequency domain. They are just wrong. The Nos thing is not a particularly fashionable form of bullshit these days given the new forms of nonsense which streaming has opened up, but I imagine it will come around again though.

well kind of, but it depends whether the eqing is to get the in-room response closer to a defined curve. If so it is still really about accuracy, and it will be noted that starting out with an accruate dac before applying filters is more likely to get you to the right result because many errors in a dac cannot simply be filtered out

The "bit perfect" delusion (ie that it is better never to change the bit values anywhere in the conversion process) is quite a different thing.

It's fine to decide that you don't want a more accurate dac, but I don't see the need to get "philosophical" to get there.

The fact that Nos dacs work at all for music actually shows how laughably insensitive our hearing is. There is no conceivable argument for them being more accurate either in the time or frequency domain. They are just wrong. The Nos thing is not a particularly fashionable form of bullshit these days given the new forms of nonsense which streaming has opened up, but I imagine it will come around again though.
I would say just the opposite. Our ears can easily identify which is better and what sounds more realistic, exactly the same as one can identify between the sound of a £100 Violin and a £2M Stradivari...

Thankfully Streaming has opened up a can of worms, which is why I would never stream in my main listening room. As in true High Fidelity tradition, it's all about the audio performance and not about convenience. However, I can understand those willing to give up on the performance side for the convenience if that is more important to them, especially if they don't own their own music...

Understand how DACs work etc but it was more a "philosophical" question on filters and the quest for "as the artist originally intended" etc. I'm not talking about reconstruction filters but many DACs have custom filters to create "flavours" of sound, Auralic have ones like precise, dynamic, balance and smooth etc.

Probably worded it wrong in that I assumed people would know I wasn't talking about the DAC 'operating' filters.

My question was (trying to be) if people are looking for an exact reproduction of what was in the audio file are these custom/additional filters preventing that and you've answered or confirmed that.

Mathematically you do indeed need a sinc filter for reconstruction. This is the only one that reproduces the file "as intended".

However, sinc technically requires processing of all of the audio signal from beginning to end of the file you are reconstructing. You can't practically do this perfectly in real time. So you can choose alternative filters philosophically with whatever "imperfections" please you or are small enough to not bother you. And in the world of the audiophile, having something to tweak, such as the reconstruction filter, is a great selling point for those who like their tweaking.

The NOS DAC that has been mentioned usually takes each sample, converts it to a voltage and holds that voltage until the next sample. It produces a stairstep. This particular way of reconstructing the audio is actually a filter in its own right. It creates a fairly gentle but audibly significant roll-off in the audio at high frequencies. NOS is much more inaccurate than most reconstruction filters DACs offer but some people like it.

I would say just the opposite. Our ears can easily identify which is better and what sounds more realistic, exactly the same as one can identify between the sound of a £100 Violin and a £2M Stradivari...
Ah that old canard….

Thankfully Streaming has opened up a can of worms, which is why I would never stream in my main listening room. As in true High Fidelity tradition, it's all about the audio performance and not about convenience. However, I can understand those willing to give up on the performance side for the convenience if that is more important to them, especially if they don't own their own music...
I have about 1400 records and haven’t played any since I bought a Wiim pro plus for what felt like a round of drinks at a family do. To be fair it highlighted that the TT was running slightly slow but uncharacteristically I haven’t got around to getting it adjusted or getting the new cart fitted.

However, sinc technically requires processing of all of the audio signal from beginning to end of the file you are reconstructing.
I always thought that the sinc function processes one sample at a time, but the accuracy of the resulting output depended on the number of calls to the function, i.e. the same as "TAPS" as in a Chord DAC. Happy to be enlightened though.

advertisement

Back