advertisement

ZYX cartridges

It is well known that Sorasound Universe owners found it to be good on classical music but not great on modern music or Rock. Because of this Sorasound had another cartridge made called the Atmos. This was designed to make a better job reproducing modern music. This has been well documented on this forum over previous years. The ZYX 4D on the other hand is a good all rounder. The Omega and Diamond models go above and beyond the ones mentioned above.

One last thing: cartridges require careful setting up. If a cartridge is not set up correctly it can wear out prematurely. Also the handling of the cartridge is very important. I have seen some just drop the tonearm/cartridge on to the record with a crash. Any cartridge is not going to last very long in those circumstances but it is often the cartridge that is blamed rather than the user...

Dirt in the suspension/generator is a real cartridge killer. This causes more problems than a straight worn tip. The problem is that most people don’t realise this until they buy a wet RCM. I didn’t realise this until about 4-5 years ago, when I had to get my rather expensive Allaerts MC1B rebuilt. Jan Allaerts emailed me to say that the generator and suspension were just completely gummed up - hence the distortion when playing my LPs.
Now I wet clean (once) every LP that goes on my TT. Now I hardly ever get any dust on either my Allaerts or on my Decca. Deccas are complete dust magnets too.

Charlie

I was pondering this while making some bread this morning and it occurred to me that it might also be worthwhile using canned air on a cartridge to keep the assembly clean (I don't have a wet RCM at the moment). Then again, would it just force the gunk into the cartridge and make matters worse, unless the air is directed away from the generator assembly?

Canned air stands much more chance of tearing a coil leadout than a bit of 'puff' does.

Yes, but you'd aim it from the back (underneath) of the cart., so this wouldn't be an issue. Mind you, I can't see canned air, or in fact any air, dislodging accumulated gunk.

Am trying one of these pots of gel out at the mo', just for stylus maintenance purposes. Weird, though, as the gel immediately closes up any stylus indentations, and so far I've not been able to detect any detritis residue on the gel.. For £19 on Amazon, it was worth the punt, though.

Yes, but you'd aim it from the back (underneath) of the cart., so this wouldn't be an issue. Mind you, I can't see canned air, or in fact any air, dislodging accumulated gunk.

Am trying one of these pots of gel out at the mo', just for stylus maintenance purposes. Weird, though, as the gel immediately closes up any stylus indentations, and so far I've not been able to detect any detritis residue on the gel.. For £19 on Amazon, it was worth the punt, though.

I recently washed plenty of crap off my Onzow Zerodust so I can only presume you have a fairly dust free listening room.

I recently washed plenty of crap off my Onzow Zerodust so I can only presume you have a fairly dust free listening room.

Nope. Lots of dust and cat-borne unmentionables, though I do cover my deck when not in use. Maybe it's that all my records have been wet cleaned on my VPI.

I thought that the gel may obviate the need for a gentle brushing of the stylus from time to time; mainly to get rid of hairs. Think I'm still stuck with that procedure, though.:(

I have the Zyx R100-02 is fabulous, sounds with RB301 Rewired Cardas, Michell Counterweight, Pink Triangle LPT/GTI , phono stage Aqvox Phono2 Ci mk2 connected balanced xlr

I have a ZYX Airy 3 with the silver base and coils. I love it. Channel separation is total. I find the bass very good. I don't find it bright. It tracks very well. It is sensitive to vertical tracking adjustments. I find that it picks up minimal dust, but my records are clean and I use a VPI dust buster and brush.

I think it sounds like the descriptions you see on line. Detailed but not unmusical. i feel no need to upgrade which is unusual in hifi and speaks volumes about how good it is. It does make me feel I should upgrade my phono stage when funds allow. One of GTs Trons would be nice :). Highly recommended, very underrated.

Just for info my set up is Yanis Tome pure silver tonearm cable with fururech / eichmann connectors, jelco tonearm, p75 mk 2 phonostage, Audible Illusions valve pre and Classe power amp driving totem arros.

The XYX does indeed sound airy. It is not fatiguing.

This is a quote from the Vdh web site

104 Q: What wears faster in a M.C. cartridge, the stylus, the coil wires or the suspension rubber ?
A: Mostly the stylus. A regular stylus needs replacement each 1500 hours. The VDH type 1 can go till 3500 hours.

I thought it would be interesting to post a few photos of my styli considering the differing views on stylus life and ESCO. I have been using their services for many years.

These are pics of an unused ESCO re tipped benz ebony, the stylus looks of high quality and mounted squarely.
1. http://www.picturewales.net/images/benz retip unused2012-12-22 at 13.12.27.png
2. http://www.picturewales.net/images/benz-retip-unused-front-view.jpg

A stylus with more than 200hrs use - I have several views of this and can discern no visible wear. No distortion or mis-tracking when playing
3. http://www.picturewales.net/images/Benz Stylus2.jpg
BTW ignore tag it is not a Benz cart.

Out of curiosity I dug out an old Fidelity Research FR-1.3 retipped by ESCO about 1980. It plays perfectly and tracked the HFS test record with no problem, it played music brilliantly as well. Gave the lie to cartridge suspension seizing up over time.

Dave, it depends on the rubber used, synthetics last for decades, natural rubber based bushes, much, much less.

Fair point. Not many, if any, manufacturers give the composition of the suspension material used.
I guess the FR is a synthetic compound.

This is a quote from the Vdh web site

104 Q: What wears faster in a M.C. cartridge, the stylus, the coil wires or the suspension rubber ?
A: Mostly the stylus. A regular stylus needs replacement each 1500 hours. The VDH type 1 can go till 3500 hours.

I thought it would be interesting to post a few photos of my styli considering the differing views on stylus life and ESCO. I have been using their services for many years.

These are pics of an unused ESCO re tipped benz ebony, the stylus looks of high quality and mounted squarely.
1. http://www.picturewales.net/images/benz retip unused2012-12-22 at 13.12.27.png
2. http://www.picturewales.net/images/benz-retip-unused-front-view.jpg

A stylus with more than 200hrs use - I have several views of this and can discern no visible wear. No distortion or mis-tracking when playing
3. http://www.picturewales.net/images/Benz Stylus2.jpg
BTW ignore tag it is not a Benz cart.

Out of curiosity I dug out an old Fidelity Research FR-1.3 retipped by ESCO about 1980. It plays perfectly and tracked the HFS test record with no problem, it played music brilliantly as well. Gave the lie to cartridge suspension seizing up over time.

Interesting. What magnification did you use to take these photos?

Your quote can be supplemented by extracts from his Q. 16.

“…Practically, after around 1000 hours of playing a tip needs a serious investigation…”

"...When the higher frequencies are sounding distorted and you find a lot of gray-brownish dust around your stylus then that was your record…”

“…With regular styli, 1000 hours is a time for replacement…”

I have been using the following vdH suggestion from Q. 31 for years:

“…Since phono cartridges always tend to collect potentially damaging magnetic stray particles over time, another suggestion is to mount a magnet on your record player near to the cartridge’s rest position (of course not against it), such that this magnet functions as a magnetic vacuum cleaner - catching magnetic stray particles away instead of having them endingup inside your expensive cartridge…”

I use a flat, small fridge magnet left permanently under the arm rest.

I used a 400x usb scope. I suspect the magnification is a bit less than 400.
Yes there are a few inconsistencies on that Vdh info list.
The fridge magnet sounds like a good idea, unfortunately I can not place a magnet in close proximity to the arm, due to the design of the TT.
I have been using the Cardas frequency disc. The frequency sweeps (30Hz to 30Khz) are supposed to degauss the cartridge and clean the stylus ultrasonically.

Yes, I also have used the (MK I) Cardas sweep disk for a number of years. I forgot to mention this in my STYLUS CONVULSIONS poll thread. I think Cardas disk claims to do your whole system by playing this disk. Whether or not there is any audible benefit is not certain in my case. However it seems harmless- unlike what Dr. vdH says about demagnetisers.

I don’t read his views as inconsistent- on cartridges. He is just making a claim of superior longevity for his Type 1 stylus. He has some logic on his side due to the stylus shape and also the orientation of the diamond. My vdH MC1 started life with his Type 1, but on first retipping this was changed by ESCO to their paratrace. ESCO, as always, said that Dr. vdH’s Type 1 was badly worn (after 1000 hours). I got an obvious improvement in the sound with the paratrace. I can’t recall in which areas, now.

With regard to the magnet idea suggested by Dr. vdH it is not supposed to be placed in close proximity with the arm. It is supposed to be placed UNDER the spot where the arm rests when not playing a record. In most setups this will leave a gap of at least an inch between magnet and underside of cartridge. What TT do you use?

With regard to the magnet idea suggested by Dr. vdH it is not supposed to be placed in close proximity with the arm. It is supposed to be placed UNDER the spot where the arm rests when not playing a record. In most setups this will leave a gap of at least an inch between magnet and underside of cartridge.

WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUT A MAGNET THAT CLOSE TO THE CARTRIDGE.

A moving coil cartridge uses a very powerful magnet and can produce a magnetic field at least 6 inches (15cm) in all directions from the cartridge body. The last thing you should do is to put another magnet that close to it. I have spoken to Mr VdH several times about steel and iron platters and their effects on the cartridge and I can assure you he would not recommend anything like this. Maybe you interpreted what he said incorrectly and the magnet goes under the arm rest which would be about 7-8 inches away from the cartridge.

I occasionaly put the vacuum cleaner's hose very close to the front of the cartridge and am always relieved when it still sounds ok after that....
But oh, the pleasure of believing it may have been cleaned from the inside and therefore better performing is not to be sniffed at :)

I occasionaly put the vacuum cleaner's hose very close to the front of the cartridge and am always relieved when it still sounds ok after that....
But oh, the pleasure of believing it may have been cleaned from the inside and therefore better performing is not to be sniffed at :)

I will not believe this is true witout photos :D

I have heard stories about men who use vacuum hoses in places. Definitely cleans the insides I'm sure. Sniffing would verify this.

advertisement

Back