advertisement

ZXCZM800

Didn't hear it mentioned once on the CES threads on US forums, so I guess we can expect not, just another integrated chip for mediocre sound mid-fi AV gear.

I'm sure the chip amp will one day surpass or equal the component amp. It's happened in computers after all.

I find it hard to imagine that the circuits that were developed shortly after the invention of the transistor, or developments thereof, represent the very best in amplification, ever. What are the chances of that happening? Whether *this* item does it remains to be seen.

What's the chance of a company being able to integrate perfect versions of everything onto one chip, as opposed to a number of different manufacturers each being the leaders in their fields.

I just don't see it, you'd need the very best designs and designers of everything working for one company. Your goal would have to be the very best sound, not just cost reduction through integration and some bullshit marketing claim about quality.

I'm not ruling it out, maybe chip amps will sound better than linear amps at some point, but that's far from my experience today.

Having worked for a silicon design house I'm more than aware of the limitations of the process as regards system revisions, it costs you big time to rev another chip, $100k + for dedicated silicon, as opposed to 30p to try another transistor in the discrete circuit. The odds are stacked against it..

Well you guys know a hell of a lot more than me. I do notice NAD is partnered with them but IMHO NAD = good vfm but not super high end gear. Anyone heard their M2, supposedly uses this technology?

You know the way I stumbled accross this was thinking of how combining a DAC and pre such that the DAC with higher data width could include volume information without alteration getting rid of any attenuation needs and ought to have potential of sounding real good.

IIRC Rob Watts (ex DPA) has been involved with Zetex looking at ClassD amplification, so these could be worth a play. Certainly the headline numbers look good for a switching amp, though I always want to see what happens above20khz...

Stevec67 said:
I'm sure the chip amp will one day surpass or equal the component amp. It's happened in computers after all.
For linear amps, no: there' s simply no demand to drive it. True, some 'big' opamps are available, like the venerable old LM12 that can push +/-10A into loads; but generally it the huge thermal-gradient across die problem that stops chip amps getting anywhere close to discretes for performance. And the cost-driven approach becasue the other huge barrier, as Simon alluded to, is process cost. You've got to sell a couple of million to amortise even a small IC; a linear 'discrete-beater' isn't going to happen now that the mass market appears happy with MP3s.

But the 'switching amp' route (class D etc) like this Zetex offering is effectively replacing the input/VAS stage of a tradiional power amp with a new way of doing things, in one chip. It thus offboards all the output stage thermal/capacity/protection problems. Expect to see a lot more of this, if just for efficiencies' sake.

Meanwhile there are many more approaches to discrete amp design than just H.C. Lin ;)

advertisement

Back