advertisement

Zu Audio loudspeakers

I got to hear a pair of dirty weekends at a show once. It was the brightest sounding system I have ever heard. I left that room pretty quickly.

I agree with HG
I never owned them but borrowed some for a few days whilst auditioning speakers. In very many ways a likeable and enjoyable sound, full of character, fun and a fine stoundstage and presence. A bit like innacurate Tannoys. But HiFi? In the sense that HiFi reproduces exactly what the recording engineer intended? No.

Only heard them at shows, not the best environment i know but i also thought they were bright, and thin sounding, also as these are from the USA, not the best value for money, a so-so speaker IMO,

I have never heard Zu speakers sound like Zu speakers at any show ever. I refer you back to my comments about exposing what’s going on upstream and being very sensitive to both cold and movement. Could t disagree with anyone who called them forward in such environments but that isn’t actually what they sound like.

I’d recommend a conversation with @Avonessence who absolutely know his way around Zu speakers.

@Mike Hughes I've never heard ANYTHING sound good at a hifi show ;)

There's no mention of such forward behaviour I've read in the Reichert / Guttenberg / Darko reviews I've just read. It could be a conspiracy though...

I've sent @Avonessence a message :)

Shows are difficult. Good becomes a relative term. You can usually tell within seconds if a room will appeal i.e. you can rule out any room with an idiotic volume level but good rooms are often just a relief from truly bad ones. I can remember being at a Manchester show where a room with a lowly Rega Planar 1 was such a joy simply because it sounded vaguely musical compared to every preceding room. Certainly had a show been the only place I’d heard a. Zu I’d have never bought one.

Well, that settles it. If Mr. YouTube Entertainer Guy likes these speakers then 99% of the population should immediately turn and run away. Frankly, I couldn't care less how much these guys are being paid to say anything and everything.
Wasn’t actually inferring that. Just commented that he and Reichart speak about them .They also remark that production is patchy.

I haven't heard any Zu speakers but I watched a Youtube video by 2 Channel Listening in which a Zu was compared to a Tekton and was surprised to learn that the drive units in both are simply fixed by wood screws directly into the cabinet material - no threaded inserts and bolts. Now I understand that many won't be bothered about this and I doubt if it affects performance but for me personally, I couldn't accept this irrespective of whether the speaker sounds good or bad and irrespective of its value for money rating, good or bad.

Had these Druid 4,s for many years

Only changed when moved to smaller home and had to down size

Found they had a wonderful room filling presentation with lots of air and depth.

Would deffo visit again in larger room, Druid 6 would be my choice

IMG-7903.jpg
They sounded very good to me

I have Zu Druids an older model. Before I bought them I listened to many different speakers. I'm not here to argue each to their own. I'm not even sure how you describe 'sound'. It's a bit like describing additional colours to a colour blind person in that different listeners focus on different characteristics.
So I heard different sounds some highly analytical but tiring to listen to for long periods. Some a lot more expensive. The 'sound' of the Druids just worked for me. They just seemed more musical if that's a description that people can relate to I don't know.
I've heard other systems since that sound better but cost way way more so not in my league. Someday I'd like to hear Druid V and VI to hear what changes/improvements have been made over time. Might even upgrade if they're an improvement.

advertisement

Back