advertisement

ZOOM MRS 1266 Home Recording Studio....still worth using?

wulbert

pfm Member
Dragged the old Zoom recorder that my band once used out of a cupboard where it has been for around 15 years. Would something like this still be regarded as any use for making music on? I think it records in .WAV format. High enough quality?

I've been thinking about dabbling with music making again now kids have left home and there is space to set up some gear and leave it between sessions. Wondered if it would still be up to scratch or would be regarded as a joke nowadays.

The sliders are very scratchy and make random jumps in volume when moved. Might need cleaned? The hard drive seems a bit loud. Maybe it was always like that though, a slight whirr. Seems odd that a bit of recording equipment would produce any noise. I'm still trying out all the functions and trying to remember how it all works. It has an optical drive too, in a big slot...could this be replaced with a solid state drive?

If it saves as wav then you can import tracks into a computer. As far as features go I would say it’s fairly limited as opposed to using a computer based studio. Saying that it will work and you will get decent results. I had decent results from a 4 track cassette years ago so you don’t have to let that limit you. Hard drives and optical drives can be replaced. I would be more interested in how you can export projects to edit in software as that will be your best way to then mix and edit.

I have a friend who works on units like this as he just can’t get the hang of using a computer DAW.

If it saves as wav then you can import tracks into a computer. As far as features go I would say it’s fairly limited as opposed to using a computer based studio. Saying that it will work and you will get decent results. I had decent results from a 4 track cassette years ago so you don’t have to let that limit you. Hard drives and optical drives can be replaced. I would be more interested in how you can export projects to edit in software as that will be your best way to then mix and edit.

I have a friend who works on units like this as he just can’t get the hang of using a computer DAW.

Thank you Mark. You've made a good point about what I could do with the tracks on a computer. I like, and understand, the interface on the Zoom since it mimics a tape transport. Plus, I already own it and don't want to spend money. I've used Garage band but found the latency made it useless.
Maybe I could use the Zoom simply as a means of connecting instruments and recording and do the rest on Garage Band. I like the physicality of it, sliders, play and stop buttons compared to a trackpad or mouse.

EDIT: PS Love your bass playing!

Thank you Mark. You've made a good point about what I could do with the tracks on a computer. I like, and understand, the interface on the Zoom since it mimics a tape transport. Plus, I already own it and don't want to spend money. I've used Garage band but found the latency made it useless.
Maybe I could use the Zoom simply as a means of connecting instruments and recording and do the rest on Garage Band. I like the physicality of it, sliders, play and stop buttons compared to a trackpad or mouse.

EDIT: PS Love your bass playing!

I think using it as a recorder and then transferring is a great option. I have a recent model from zoom (livetrack l-20) for live recording and do that.
Now if I could only play bass that would be good but I am a decent drummer

I think that as long as it's working, it's worth using. Many young indie musicians now resuscitate old tape recorders, analogue mixers, vinyl.. I too years ago used a TASCAM 4-tracks cassette recorder, and I had fun which is perhaps what it's all about.
Have fun,
M

I think using it as a recorder and then transferring is a great option. I have a recent model from zoom (livetrack l-20) for live recording and do that.
Now if I could only play bass that would be good but I am a decent drummer

Well I can't play the drums but I am a decent bass player..
Perhaps we could share some equipment and send files to complete..
:)

Well I can't play the drums but I am a decent bass player..
Perhaps we could share some equipment and send files to complete..
:)

I do a lot of online collaborations using Cubase pro. I tend to do all my own playing. I play electronic drums into a program called sd3 which is remarkably realistic and use a lot of vst instruments but always happy to have real instrument input as well :)

If you're using a Mac then Reaper is a low cost far better alternative to Garage band. It works whether you pay for it or not however, it's so cheap as to be churlish not to pony up for it.

advertisement

Back