advertisement

Zone 2 issue on av amp

snaphappybob

pfm Member
I don’t know if I’m missing something.
I have a Sony STRDN1040 av amp and a Sony UBX800 Blu Ray. As the player doesn’t have analogue outputs I have connected the zone 2 of the av amp to my NAC 102 but despite the setup being fine, when I select zone 2 there is no audio output from the Sony.
Am I missing something simple?
Answers on a postcard!

Typically, only analog signals are output to zone 2, as these are taken from before the in-built DAC (allowing the main 'zone' full use of all inputs, analog or digital). As such, only a subset of inputs can be routed, often excluding such video inputs as BD. Try checking your receiver operating manual for the existence of a 'source' button that will route whatever is selected as main input to zone 2; this then gets taken from after the DAC.

Should this be the case with your Sony receiver, and you would like to run different sources in main (such as SAT/CBL or Streaming) vs. zone 2 (say BD audio), then one workaround is to run a second digital out from the BD to an external DAC and take the analog out of that into an input on the receiver that can be routed to zone 2.

Yes, a bit of a PITA, now that digital outputs only are common on players and streamers alike. Should enough customers complain then maybe the manufacturers will start putting a second DAC in for exclusive zone 2 purposes.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back