advertisement

Zerostat repair?

mr.datsun

pfm Member
My Zerostat 3 has stopped making the ratchet noise and I can see no blue sparks when I point it an unsuspecting radiator pipe in the dark.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed, please?

I had the wire break at the solder joint inside. The case can be opened with a plastic pry tool and the joint re-soldered.

Or you could just take the guts out of a cheap electronic cigarette lighter, same thing.

Or you could just take the guts out of a cheap electronic cigarette lighter, same thing.

:) It's odd, because I was wondering why anyone would pay £50 for a cigarette lighter with no flame.

Flashgo's idea of checking the wiring brings back memories, because I now recall I had the same problem with a Zerostat some 30 years ago. Do these things actually work?

Unfortunately, I think you may find that biggest problem to be getting the thing apart. My original orangey one had the same problem but as it was glued together I had to virtually smash it to bits to get it apart.
My new Blue one is very good, but I still haven't got over the £50.

:) It's odd, because I was wondering why anyone would pay £50 for a cigarette lighter with no flame.

Flashgo's idea of checking the wiring brings back memories, because I now recall I had the same problem with a Zerostat some 30 years ago. Do these things actually work?

Yes

I know a lighter works on the same principle, but having had a close look at the mechanism in both my old zerostat and the chunkiest looking fire lighter stick that I could find I am convinced that the mechanism in the zerostat is much more powerful and produces a lot more ions. In the end, as the Zerostat works very well for me and in the context of prices in general in the Hi-Fi world I stumped up. One other thing probably worth mentioning is that as my first one was picked up second hand, without instructions, I realise now that I had been using it incorrectly. You should avoid making it click and I wonder if this use led to its' demise.

Thanks for your comments. I will try and open it up. I know I broke a lug on the black nozzle already, so I may as well try the whole body.

With regards wiring – I will check that. But what about the 'ratchet' noise these things make – it sounds mechanical, not electrical.

Mine is blue, so I hope I can get it apart without destroying it.

The whole mechanism inside the handle is snapped in two. The plastic sheath with the element inside. I can't believe it and wish I'd sent it back long ago. I never felt it worked very consistently even when new.

I think the clicking warns that you're pulling the trigger too hard/fast... I was led to believe that was the case anyway.

What's the warranty on these things? They seem very expensive (for a simple device) to go wrong like this. Where are Milty? Can't find them online.

linnfomaniac83 - interesting – I thought the gentle ratchet sound was sign it was working.

AS I mentioned earlier, I've only recently picked up my replacement 'Stat. To clarify, the instructions say, smoothly and slowly squeeze the trigger and then slowly release. Apparently, the in and out actions provide a balance of ion polarity that ensures the LP is fully discharged. If you squeeze a little too quick and you get a 'crack' some of the ions have leaked away and the effect is reduced.

Thanks for the comments about usage. Not clear it had anything to do with the fault in mine. Meanwhile, I have asked the company who make them if they can help.

advertisement

Back