advertisement

ZeroStat Gun - Do they work?

Weeman1973

Big Country Member
Getting a bit of static on my Clearaudio Emotion TT as not using any mat on the acrylic platter.

Anybody use a ZeroStat - are they any good?

Yes. Had mine for over 30 years and it still works fine, but it was much cheaper back then. Most of the increase is just inflation though.

Yes, they work, but in a well sorted vinyl replay scenario I’d argue they are of no real use. I find wet-vacuuming incoming vinyl (new or used) kills any static and using a turntable with a grounded centre-spindle/bearing stops any further build-up. It just becomes a non-issue. If I still had a Zerostat (I used to own one back in the ‘80s) I just can’t see myself ever using it.

Thanks all.

My TT (Clearaudio BlueMotion) is grounded at the centre bearing / spindle as well as arm.

I don’t hear static through the cartridge but when I come to take the record of the platter you can feel the force of the static that’s built up as well as the crackling etc.

I use Nagaoka sleeves and also clean records using the Disco-AntiStat system as well as a carbon brush before I spin them.

Yes, we used to use them in the circuit board production before putting photo film laminate onto the bare copper circuit boards.

Also they can give you a hell of a belt from the trigger, I know I have had a couple over the years and remember the same happening in the factory.

Yes they work not sure how expensive they are now but the Furutech Destat works better. It was fairly expensive as I recall but I've used it a lot and it's been a great vinyl accessory.

Also they can give you a hell of a belt from the trigger, I know I have had a couple over the years and remember the same happening in the factory.

Interesting, I never witnessed that despite doing all the idiot stuff a kid with a Zerostat would do (Zerostatting my tongue etc).

That's happened to me also!

Mine is at the bottom of a box somewhere. It might be worth giving it a punt on Ebay, seeing what they're going for now.

As has been said, yes they do work but since I started using a wet-vac record cleaner ( the Pro-Ject one) I’ve not needed to use mine at all.
Dry air possibly due to central heating & carpets with man made material in them may contribute to static issues.
I guess buying a zero stat is cheaper than replacing carpet!

Yup ! Another user here yonks ago. They do work and you can hear them work. However, their use is a one-off for that particular side. It's not a quick action (to do it properly) so became a pain.

advertisement

Back