advertisement

Zero hours contracts

Whatever you want to believe. Greeks I know tell a different story but I’ll leave you to it.

And there's the snag for many people on zero hours contracts. Easier to do if you have skills that are in demand. Much harder if you're, say, a cleaner on minimum wage.
It is, and this is why people who lack the skills to negotiate a better deal for themselves should join a union. The cleaners in our factory are in the process of getting a better pay rate than our basic box packers because it's often a more unpleasant job. That's fair enough. The union (BFAWU) are involved in this and are doing the job that they are paid for.

It is, and this is why people who lack the skills to negotiate a better deal for themselves should join a union. The cleaners in our factory are in the process of getting a better pay rate than our basic box packers because it's often a more unpleasant job. That's fair enough. The union (BFAWU) are involved in this and are doing the job that they are paid for.

Excellent news Steve. UVW action has improved wages for some of the most vulnerable workers here in London.

Zero hour contract should not be allowed as far as I’m concerned.
Don't be silly.
Casual employment has been needed by employers and employees since Year Dot. Not just in the UK but all over the world. Why do you think that student and school holidays cover harvest time? Who else picks fruit, grapes, olives? What do employers do with rigidly employed people after the harvest, or after the tourist season, or after Edinburgh festival, or after all the turkeys have been killed for that year?

Don't be silly.
Casual employment has been needed by employers and employees since Year Dot. Not just in the UK but all over the world. Why do you think that student and school holidays cover harvest time? Who else picks fruit, grapes, olives? What do employers do with rigidly employed people after the harvest, or after the tourist season, or after Edinburgh festival, or after all the turkeys have been killed for that year?
Don’t be silly. You’re describing temp work.

well calming down a bit now but not much . I saw on the Car manufacturers site a FB page with many of the managers doing a cycle ride to raise awareness of mental health and suicide [ one guy had topped himself working for this company due to stress] . So I pointed out that if these guys employed support staff on decent contracts i.e not zero contracts paying 120 quid a month sometimes then their mental health and axiety might be less . utter hypocrisy and just the height of political correctness to bleak on about concern for mental health and treat people worse than dogs

hope to get union involved now

advertisement

Back