advertisement

Zero 100 Turntable Restoration

mickhick1

pfm Member
I am considering sourcing a Garrard Zero 100 to carry out a restoration, including a new plinth. I want one of the original idler turntables with the white deck plate and brass coloured controls.
Has anyone else done one of these? Does anyone have one they don't want?
Also, I am thinking about a multi-layered birch ply plinth, as I think it may help to reduce the idler induced rumble, as well as looking good, so any suggestions for where I may go for one of these would be welcome.

I used one for a year or so back in about '86 ish.... it was well old even then! It sounded better than it had any right to but I'd hardly have thought it a possible "super deck" waiting to get out with a few mods...
Rumble was low for an idler drive.

I had a belt drive version with the ubiquitous M75ED back in the day. They were heavily discounted at the end of their 'run' so I could afford one.
Personally I would not bother, its a mixed up thing. Auto changer and 'transcription' deck, all in one. Really (?) no not really. The arm lets it down (even new) unless you find an especially good one.
Mine did not stay long it would skip for no reason on heavily modulated tracks...
Marmite turntable, love it or hate it.

Always liked the look of the white one, a really cool design from an aesthetic perspective. Never heard or worked on one though.

Much the same as me Tony. I'm of an age that I remember when it originally came out and I lusted after one, I had an AP76 at the time, so mechanically fairly similar. I was always fascinated by the parallel tracking arm.
I just fancy doing it for the sake of it and it wold be interesting to see/hear what it can do.

6e776467-bcff-49dd-86bf-5f93030afb5e.jpg

The above is the same as the one I had (not mine though!) and apparently it's belt drive! Which explains why it was quite decent! I reckon it would have shown the likes of a Pioneer PL12D a clean pair of heels;)

A fine choice and well worth doing! The biggest problem with these was quality control but if you find a good one with decent arm bearings then they sound far better than many would give them credit for.

The early idler drive models tend to be better in terms of build and so do generally sound better. And they look nicer.

Before you even start looking, though, make sure you have a bottle of IPA (not the beer...) and a hot air gun on standby as you’ll inevitably be entering the messy world of Garrard Grease Syndrome - a thing that sorts the men from the boys...

A fine choice and well worth doing! The biggest problem with these was quality control but if you find a good one with decent arm bearings then they sound far better than many would give them credit for.

The early idler drive models tend to be better in terms of build and so do generally sound better. And they look nicer.

Before you even start looking, though, make sure you have a bottle of IPA (not the beer...) and a hot air gun on standby as you’ll inevitably be entering the messy world of Garrard Grease Syndrome - a thing that sorts the men from the boys...
Thanks Beobloke, it's good to get some positive responses. It really is the original white, idler model I am most interested in, but might consider a belt drive one.

A belt drive one will be much better simply cos it's not idler drive!

The last time I restored a Zero 100SB, I also had a Garrard SP25 Mk4 in for refurbishment. Both decks were in very good fettle and ran sweetly and silently after a service but only one had absolutely rock solid speed and didn’t drift in the slightest when left running for a couple of hours.

Clue: it wasn’t the belt drive one... ;)

The last time I restored a Zero 100SB, I also had a Garrard SP25 Mk4 in for refurbishment. Both decks were in very good fettle and ran sweetly and silently after a service but only one had absolutely rock solid speed and didn’t drift in the slightest when left running for a couple of hours.

Clue: it wasn’t the belt drive one... ;)

I wouldn't give an idler drive house room. Not even a Garrard 301 or 401 or a Thorens 124.

I've only had belt drive turntables since around 1977 and only ever really heard idlers such as SP25, AP76, MP60 etc. before that, but a friend of mine in the 80's had a typical late 70's JVC system but fronted with an original 301 with Acos Lustre arm and all mounted in an old record player case, which had a beguiling quality to its sound.
In those days people were throwing them away almost and it was easy to pick them up for relatively little. Not now unfortunately.

advertisement

Back