advertisement

Zeppelin at the O2, 10/12/07

Saw it at the 6pm showing at cineworld Glasgow. The hall was near enough full. The lack of volume was the talking point of most people. My lady friend who had seen Daniel O'Donnell the previous week. Commented on the subdued sound, compared to the O'Donnell concert.

Jimmy is as sloppy as ever, but at least he goes for it, JPJ really tight clean playing, Jason would have made his old man very proud and if there was any ****ery it came from Plant. He can be mildly annoying at times, but when he plays it straight e.g. Kashmir he can be amazing.

I'll look forward to getting the Blue Ray and turning the volume up to 11.

I'll look forward to getting the Blue Ray and turning the volume up to 11.

None of these bands can recreate the whole thing that was going on in the 60's and 70's. Times were much different then. We were coming out the 50's and the puritanical age. The artists weren't really making any money in the early going. It was nitty gritty. It was all about the music. The world needed it. It was our drug.

Now its a side show. I remember when I saw 'Yes' here in Tucson in the late 80's. It seems like for that 87' concert, all they could do is put on a show, and stick to the tried and true hits.

I wouldnt expect much different from Zep.

I was accustomed to seeing 'Yes' tour after each album in the 70's, and I remember in particular 'Tales from Topographic Oceans'. They played the ENTIRE double album at that concert. Each song was practically 25min long!

With that said, I DO expect ear and I candy from the Blu-ray!

Well, our mate Dave, who got the tickets for tonight's cinema seat, has a monster screen for his HD projector in his attic cinema room, with the whole sound and subwoofer thing.
I'm expecting that to be a better experience than the cinema because we'll have beer, reclining chairs and the comfort of Dave's home. I've been to some good gigs there (that's what it feels like).
But tonight will be good.

As much as we all wanted it to go on forever it is better to have the memory of the greatest rock band than to see a sad decline. Takes a great man to make and keep that decision and turn down tens or even hundreds of millions of pounds each. Respect.

Makes me think of David Bowie - or David Jones as he is again now, having retired entirely since 2004. It's somehow odd that someone can have the strength to just close the business and be a normal man in the street, refusing interviews or even awards or events in his honour.
He has always had the most integrity of anyone I know of from that degree of stardom. People say he is ill but it turns out to be only rumour and he isn't at all since his heart attack in 2004. People can't accept that he has just retired.

That was amazing, and I was surprised that in the whole of Brighton and surrounding area that there are not enough people wanting to see this to fill a small cinema, yet twenty million people applied for tickets.
I've never seen them play on a large stage huddled together in the centre before, they have always had their own area, but this time they behaved as if they were playing for themselves, and maybe this time they were. That struck me as being more intimate with each other than in the past. They eventually took their spaces when they settled in.

So, that really is it now. Jimmy kissed his Les Paul before walking off stage for the last time and I felt that was a significant gesture. There was elation and sadness together.
There will never be another band like this one and this was, well, .....like they say at funerals, not a time to be sad, but a day to celebrate the life of Zep. I see the choice of film title was apt. So, it was a funeral then.

That was amazing, and I was surprised that in the whole of Brighton and surrounding area that there are not enough people wanting to see this to fill a small cinema, yet twenty million people applied for tickets.
I've never seen them play on a large stage huddled together in the centre before, they have always had their own area, but this time they behaved as if they were playing for themselves, and maybe this time they were. That struck me as being more intimate with each other than in the past. They eventually took their spaces when they settled in.

So, that really is it now. Jimmy kissed his Les Paul before walking off stage for the last time and I felt that was a significant gesture. There was elation and sadness together.
There will never be another band like this one and this was, well, .....like they say at funerals, not a time to be sad, but a day to celebrate the life of Zep. I see the choice of film title was apt. So, it was a funeral then.

That's pretty much how I summed it up being there. There was a tear in my eye of joy and sadness at the end of their set knowing that this was probably their last gig. They gave themselves a good send off though.....

Rasher, I had the feeling that maybe the 20 million that was being reported might have been on the high side of reality. Also I felt that a lot of people thought they would try and get a ticket and sell them at a profit if they got lucky.

I was very lucky and got my two tickets. I was offered by three different people around £1000 for them.

It's still doing the cinema rounds - might give it a blast. That was the only way to watch TSRTS: valves-horns at the Tyneside cinema back in my yoof.

Makes me think of David Bowie - or David Jones as he is again now, having retired entirely since 2004. It's somehow odd that someone can have the strength to just close the business and be a normal man in the street, refusing interviews or even awards or events in his honour.
He has always had the most integrity of anyone I know of from that degree of stardom. People say he is ill but it turns out to be only rumour and he isn't at all since his heart attack in 2004. People can't accept that he has just retired.

Whilst I'll accept that he's retired if I absolutely have to, the speculation is intriguing as to what Tony Visconti has planned for early in the New Year....

I heard him interviewed on 6 Music recently and he revealed that he's putting the finishing touches to a 'very special project', something really big but he's contractually obliged not to leak any details. Now it's perhaps too much (by a country mile) to assume that this is some new Bowie release but it could just be some interesting archive Bowie stuff... Could just as easily be T Rex I guess. That would be a major disappointment...

yes got my Blueray / CD combination. The video (and blueray sound quality) are great. Sadly I was disappointed by the CD.

How I wish I hade been there...

Is there an equivalent of EAC to make good quality (personal) recordings - so I can play it back through my main hifi rather than the TV based sound system?

advertisement

Back