advertisement

Zappa recommendations for a novice.

Finnegan

I like a bit of a cavort
After I've banged on for years, one of my best mates is just beginning to 'get' Zappa. I'm going to buy him a cd for his upcoming birthday and have been wondering what album would be good, all-round intro to the wonderful world of Frank. Obviously nothing to weird to begin with, i.e. no Freak Out or Weasels Ripped My Flesh. Hot Rats? too obvious. Joe's Garage, Sheikh Yerbouti? too commercial. I was thinking about maybe Burnt Weeny Sandwich. Any suggestions?

I think you could do worse than the following:

"One Size Fits All"
"Apostrophe"/"Overnite Sensation" (the 2 albums on 1 disc version if you can find it)
...and why not "Broadway the Hard Way" from '88?

There is so much from which to choose...

In the not obvious.......

Live at filmore east
Just another band from LA
We're only in it for the money

Are not only accessible, but good......

S

What bits of Zappa you've played him is he starting to "get", as that ought to give you a steer?

I'd go for "One Size Fits All" as probably the best all-rounder, "Uncle Meat" for early-ish weirdness and doo-wop stylings, "Tinseltown Rebellion" cos I like it and any of the '88 tour live albums for musical/comedic genius. All IMHO!

i never really got the rock opera stuff (except Filmore 71). Hot Rats might be obvious but for good reason and 'Guitar' and 'Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar' are first rate.

Another option would be to get one of the 'You can't do that on stage anymore' collections. I seem to remember i've got the sampler on Vinyl. I haven't listened to it for a while. I should dig it out and give it a spin...

Cesare

What bits of Zappa you've played him is he starting to "get", as that ought to give you a steer?

He's always liked the axe-hero stuff I've played him but I was thinking of something that is a bit of a balance between the satire and the avant-garde compositions.
Thanks for all the recommendations so far.

My introduction to Zappa was:

Ship Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch
Them Or Us
The Man From Utopia

I liked these so much, I'm still buying Zappa.

Zappa In New York - A great introduction.

I've got the 2 LP "Strictly Commercial" compilation which is probably available on CD. It has on it:-

Peaches En Regalia, Don't eat the yellow snow, dancin' fool, san ber'dino, let's make the water turn black, dirty love, my guitar wants to kill your mamma, cosmik debris, trouble every day, disco boy, bobby brown goes down, I'm the slime, Joe's garage, fine girl, planet of the barritone woman, sexual harassment in the workplace, tell me you love me, montana, valley girl, by in my video, muffin man.

I got it to inform future Zappa buying. Handy.

Jonathan

[Pedant]Jonathan, good call but the CD version is vastly inferior as it does not contain "... Baritone Women" [/Pedant]

Another option would be to get one of the 'You can't do that on stage anymore' collections. I seem to remember i've got the sampler on Vinyl. I haven't listened to it for a while. I should dig it out and give it a spin...

Cesare
Good point Volume 2 in Helsinki is outstanding.

Zappa in New York, Tinseltown Rebellion are good introductions. Also You Can't Do That Vol 1 or 2 for instance. And You is what you am. And...

I'd steer clear of Guitar and SUAPYG unless you're into high levels of statistical density in your music. It's a bit out there, and as a Zappa fan of 20 years now* I still find it difficult to approach in anything other than an occasional, 'dip in' basis.

* I found his music in my teens - first album, the Fame cassette version of 'The Man From Utopia' which blew me away!

"Bongo Fury" - also contains "The Muffin Man", one of my favourite tracks...

"Gerl you thought he was a man, but he was a muffin..."

Bless.

advertisement

Back