advertisement

Zappa (2020 Alex Winter movie)

Really looking forward to watching it. I had no idea that Alex Winter made the documentary.
Love a bit of Zappa.

I planned to watch this last night but couldn't find a legitimate way to watch it here in the UK. I know it's technically possible with DNS proxies and the like, but I had hoped I could just pay my few quid and stream it via one of the various services - Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Google Video etc.

Soundtrack is already on Tidal and I suspect other streaming services. Will give it a whirl later today although I am no Zappa expert.

I planned to watch this last night but couldn't find a legitimate way to watch it here in the UK. I know it's technically possible with DNS proxies and the like, but I had hoped I could just pay my few quid and stream it via one of the various services - Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Google Video etc.

Just tried the same this morning - available everywhere!(as long as it's in the US).

It really is about time that film and video companies realised, like the music industry has, that regional restrictions are just an encouragement to find content by less legitimate means. They can all do one, meantime I'll break out the VPN in the hope I can secure a copy by actually giving the cretins money.

Makes my blood boil, it's self-harming idiocy.

Alex Winter's take on Zappa sounds like it's going to be different from what's already out there, and he was uniquely successful in persuading Gail to get unprecedented access.
I will certainly watch this when it is possible to do so without jumping through hoops (which for me means either Bluray/DVD or UK terrestrial TV) - but the cynic in me wonders if he wasn’t just “uniquely successful in persuading Gail to accept a very large sum of money.”

It is going to be easier to pirate this, but I'm determined not to... *!£%*!@£$%

ACtC-3fWPrXXn_zAEywp0Ojfn8gj5fk7NWuKX_rMh-_scUdLUZ1Ciyret1ZNOVCaCOOK8hhTDArpKEkQNDF563AjbTVeHG_v0X9Ouc1eqqf1lcCTdoiSH1x2aY1Shq6TR3akcwgb6dy1VdaE99ROosJIrh6NQw=w946-h156-no

Need to find a service that doesn't care about physical address if I can.

I will certainly watch this when it is possible to do so without jumping through hoops (which for me means either Bluray/DVD or UK terrestrial TV) - but the cynic in me wonders if he wasn’t just “uniquely successful in persuading Gail to accept a very large sum of money.”

Alex says that Gail had been approached multiple times by others and turned them down, it seems that he sent her a short movie, totally privately, and it was that which persuaded her. Maybe I'm just less cynical - she was dying, so I'd argue she didn't personally have a great need for money, as for the family/trust, they had some pretty big saleable assets.

I paid into the kickstart campaign that paid for the Zappa archive to be digitised so the film could be made, so hacked off that I can’t see the final product. Seems like the US company that made the film has no European distributors! Unbelievable

Would Paypal fit the bill?

I'd guess that as my Paypal has my address, it may not work. The US services I tried to sign up for needed US addresses for registration.

I paid into the kickstart campaign that paid for the Zappa archive to be digitised so the film could be made, so hacked off that I can’t see the final product. Seems like the US company that made the film has no European distributors! Unbelievable

That's really galling, having contributed to it's release. Surely it must get a worldwide release at some point? I don't do social media anymore, so no means of a rant, is Alex Winter on Twitter? Might be worth a msg.

[QUOTE="That's really galling, having contributed to it's release. Surely it must get a worldwide release at some point? I don't do social media anymore, so no means of a rant, is Alex Winter on Twitter? Might be worth a msg.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, they were never very clear on promises about the film being part of the kickstarter campaign. I was happy enough to contribute to the cost of digitising tapes that were deteriorating on the shelves. The film possibilities came later.

That said, it's a real case of shooting themselves in the foot...

I had also contributed to the Kickstarter campaign and have a nice T shirt, guitar picks and very cheap poncho - all of which arrived a good couple of years ago I think. I had totally forgotten about this and perhaps was not receiving any noifications because Kickstarter had an old work email for me. Anyway that has been rectified (hopefully) and browsing some messages on the campaign page it looks like physical DVDs will ship out to backers in March.

Here is Alex's post from Nov. 26,

Hi since some folks are upset or confused about why the backers couldn't get the movie before the general public, let me explain a little further than my update yesterday:

I do wish I could have provided the film to backers before the release, but as many of you may recall, none of the Kickstarter funds went to financing the film but only for vault preservation, per the wishes of the backers themselves. Once that work was complete we were grateful to secure financing for the film from a media company. As per usual with independent films, once the film was complete that company made deals for distribution in all territories. So the backers didn't finance the film, and I didn't finance the film, and hence we don't have the ability to 'give' the film away before or right at release, and thus prevent the financiers from first seeing a return on their investment. We simply don't own the rights to do that. What we can do is provide our downloads and physical media to the backers who pledged for those rewards as soon as the 90 day window is complete for the financiers, which begins tomorrow.

In a perfect world this film would be available in all territories around the world at the same time and everyone could see it who backed it. But the economics of how indie movies are made don't allow it.

Thanks for your understanding. Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! I'm grateful to all of you and that the film is a Critics Pick in the New York Times!

advertisement

Back