advertisement

Zaire (late 70's) == Dringo Bell (2002)???

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hi folks.

Very cryptic one this. Heard a track on the senior moment station on Saturday past which I'd long since forgotten. It was "Zaire", but I forget who by. It was striking, 'cause it made me think of a track by (cough) the Mediaeval Baebes from their 2002 album "The Rose", track called "Dringo Bell".

As far as I could tell, both tracks have a very, very striking similarity. Not to put it in too many words, they are more or less exactly the same (from memory). However, digging out my cd copy of "The Rose" reveals the musical credits as Katherine Blake, which makes me wonder whether she has tried to pull a fast one.

Then I got to thinking, was the "Zaire" track, from the seventies, based around anything perhaps in the public domain - a traditional folk song or something. Does anyone know? Maybe if you have the track kicking around on an LP or CD somewhere you might be able to check the musical credits?

It's amazing the things you think about when you're meant to be doing something else...

jtc

What you should ask yourself is if asking this question was worth admitting to owning a Medieval Babes cd...

Ahem, well actually I own them all. But then I always had a thing for the mediaeval gothic look...

In all honesty it does grow on you, it's just that you have to give it a chance. I'd reckon that 80% of people will hate it and 20% will give it a chance - of that 20%, perhaps half will actually find a lot there to enjoy (such as I did) and so we're talking minority appeal, but then there are many worse musical forms to follow. I know, I've probably followed most of them in my time...

Ta,

jtc

advertisement

Back