advertisement

Zac Goldsmith MP

Tony L

Administrator
Is proving to be rather interesting IMO: a Tory MP daring to call-out Cameron in a very public manner over ongoing hypocrisy, duplicity, broken manifesto pledges etc. Sure, it's all centred on the Heathrow expansion, Goldsmith's main constituency issue, but he seems to be prepared to question Cameron's integrity (or considerable lack thereof) over a rather wider field. I do like party in-fighting. It is teh funnies. This may prove an interesting spectator sport come the election. He's playing hardball for his constituency, and that has to be respected. I suspect this one has quite a future.

A decent Tory with some principles - there are a few about.
I especially applaud his campaign for the right to recall feckless MPs who abuse the system and make them face deselection.

Couldn't give a toss about airport expansion though TBH.
I tend to take the Livingstone line that too much traffic is routed through Heathrow and that the smaller airports, currently running well under capacity should handle more.

Don't know much about him, but isnt he the son of a mega rich family, then a "green eco" who then advised & later joined the Tories? Strikes me as poacher-turned-gamekeeper rich boy to me.
But maybe I'm missing the point.

One of the major issues with LHR is that SOoo many airlines connect through there that trying to get an airline to fly from Stansted or even Gatwick is impossible, as there's just not the connections flying on from there. You'd need a "pact" that all the airlines agreed to transfer to another airport otherwise, just moving one airline eg BA would never work.
Something like 75% of customers of flying into LHR are connecting on to other flights/airlines. Unless that can be managed at other airports, swapping some flights from LHR to another UK airport is a non-starter.

A fortuitous alliance of his naked ambition with the moral and intellectual high ground , should not detract from the fact he's an arse .

O and yes and the isolation of being stupendously wealthy

The biggest choke on movement at LHR is the slow go
/no go security staff , esp at T5. They know how to play the system to their advantage.

Being independently rich does enable some people to say what they believe. To assume that all heirs must be an arse is richism.

Being independently rich does enable some people to say what they believe. To assume that all heirs must be an arse is richism.

Gerald is having all his money buried with him when he dies lest his children should be infected with heirism.

Principled?

He was so "principled" that he gave up the 10 year's status as a non-dom he had enjoyed up until 2009, pocketing over £500K a year in unpaid tax as a result, when he decided he'd like to play at politics for a bit just before the general election.

Principled?

He was so "principled" that he gave up the 10 year's status as a non-dom he had enjoyed up until 2009, pocketing over £500K a year in unpaid tax as a result, when he decided he'd like to play at politics for a bit just before the general election.

Well if he cares enough to now pay several mill tax to 'play at politics' I think he would get my vote.

I trust he is also good-looking and tall ? With a firm handshake ? Looks you in eye and remembers your name ?

He's a splendid chap, and a huge improvement on his predecessor, who ignored my letter to her about some vital issue, the nature of which escapes me.

When autographs of every member of one's family sell for good money on ebay, one does carry an added air of confidence about oneself!

But it's clear from the timing and his history he was selected to oppose the Heathrow expansion; this issue will make no difference to the Tory vote whatsoever, Zac is just doing as he is instructed. Boris going against Cameron on this issue might make a big difference though. And I can't fault Goldsmith for aligning himself to the future.

advertisement

Back