advertisement

YPAO (Yamaha Parametric room Acoustic Optimizer)

Del monaco

Del Monaco
Finally got around to using the YPAO function on my Yamaha 803D. Quite impressed with the results really. I’d previously guessed at measurements and enjoyed the sound but the microphone has assessed much more accurately. The result is a more natural unforced sound with a better integrated subwoofer. Wasn’t really expecting much but happy with the results. I know it’s not a sophisticated function but it appears to do the job very well. Cool.

Interesting Del. I’ve never found the need to use mine, just leave it on source direct the whole time. Maybe I should have a play out of curiosity.

It's definitely worth a go, I've used various forms of YPAO for years, actually prefer it to basic Audyssey, the 803D version almost operates like a continuous loudness control, it varies the effect depending how loud/quiet you go - YPAO Volume.

I've an 803D and used the YPAO feature but have recently been using the source direct and can't really tell much difference between both however do you have to turn off YPAO when using source direct?

I usually use Pure Direct but was curious. It does have an affect and in my case, a surprising one. Will listen for a few days and then compare with Pure-direct mode.

I've an 803D and used the YPAO feature but have recently been using the source direct and can't really tell much difference between both however do you have to turn off YPAO when using source direct?
Long while since I messed but I believe Pure Direct knocks out Tone/Loudness/Display and YPAO EQ but leaves the Xover/Levels/Distance settings in use.

Long while since I messed but I believe Pure Direct knocks out Tone/Loudness/Display and YPAO EQ but leaves the Xover/Levels/Distance settings in use.
That’s right. Apparently according to ASR there are some massive differences in measurements between the two modes. Audibly, not very noticeable really.

I have my speakers connected to both A and B outputs, A is optimised for my normal sitting position, B for another, off centre seat so that I can improve performance if I am sitting there by setting to B.
I seems to be quite effective, though I am currently using pure direct and it is also good.

Just checked there, when using pure-direct the YPAO settings/volume control aren't available in the phone app, switching P-D off enables the YPAO settings in the phone app.

Personally I can't hear much difference, if any, using either P-D or YPAO the YPAO is a bit louder when you switch off P-D.

I read on that measurement website that P-D was much better or measured better but as I say I can't really hear much difference.

There is a noticeable difference (bit pish) though when switching YPAO off on the phone app without P-D switched on.

Quick question for other Yamaha receiver owners...

I have a 5.1 channel receiver, but only have the LR and sub connected.. it has been told this in the speaker connections and size settings, yet when I run YPAO it says ‘not enough speakers connected’

do I ‘have’ to have rears and centre connected for it to work??

Coincidentally, I have been playing with YPAO today. My understanding is that Direct mode removes all processing. I could be wrong but when I switch between YPAO and direct, among other changes, the image shifts which is consistent with my assumption.

What about Straight mode? What is that with respect to YPAO and Direct?

Quick question for other Yamaha receiver owners...

I have a 5.1 channel receiver, but only have the LR and sub connected.. it has been told this in the speaker connections and size settings, yet when I run YPAO it says ‘not enough speakers connected’

do I ‘have’ to have rears and centre connected for it to work??

I only have two speakers (stereo) and it works fine for me no mention of other speakers, there's an option to use a sub etc but the 803D is a stereo receiver so maybe that's why?

advertisement

Back