Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube reviewer that will most likely divide opinion

Discussion in 'audio' started by Fatmarley, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Fatmarley

Fatmarley Agnostic

This guy recently popped up on my YouTube watch list. Although I found myself disagreeing with some of his more technical opinions (that was one of his speaker comparison reviews though), I do like his honesty, and he comes across as quite a likeable character to me.

I'm sure some won't like him, but I for some strange reason I find him more interesting than others I've seen (could be partly because he reviews a lot of older gear). Curious to hear what others think of him.

Durmbo, linnfomaniac83 and hifinutt like this.
  2. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I've always pronounced TEAC as tee-ack, not teak as in the tree. Have I been wrong all these years?

3. Subito

Subito pfm Member

When it comes to the quality of YouTube reviewers, the axiom “In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king” somehow comes to mind. The bar is set awfully low...

Perart1, Bob McC, Emlin and 1 other person like this.
  4. amazement

amazement pfm Member

Is that guy stereo x ?

5. ToTo Man

He appears to contradict himself on more than one occasion in the above review, e.g. he describes the TEAC as sounding thin and having exaggerated leading edges (which suggests to me some brittleness and etching), but then also describes it as smooth sounding which suggests the opposite. On the plus side, it's refreshing that he's using commoners' music in his evaluation instead of some esoteric audiophile demonstration content, this makes his observations more relatable.

6. narabdela

narabdela who?

A dealer I spoke to a few years ago pronounced it as tay-ack. :confused:

Darren likes this.
  7. ToTo Man

I guess anything goes then!

8. Fatmarley

Fatmarley Agnostic

He's called 'Stereo review X' on YouTube.

9. Darren

Darren All Business

Gosh.... I dont agree at all. Steve Guttenburg, John Darko, Terry at Pursuit Perfect System, Joshua Valour, DMS, Tarun - A British Audiophile, all set a very high standard of production and content. Even mad 'Zeos' from Z Reviews has a lot of experience now. All, of them more knowledgeable than I and very entertaining in their own ways.

Mr Underhill, samz, narabdela and 2 others like this.
  10. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I like him, he just gives his honest thoughts and he’s unpretentious... I could happily have a few cuppas or pints with him whilst listening to some tunes and shooting out some gear!

tiggers and Fatmarley like this.
  11. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Strikes me as knowledgeable as most of the people who drink at my local.

Bob McC and Emlin like this.
  12. linnfomaniac83

I certainly don’t agree with everything he says, but I still listen to what he has to say. The things he say his thoughts and opinions and I respect them... mostly I watch because he comes across as a likeable chap.

Fatmarley likes this.
  13. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Anyone who uses LS3/5a as a reference for reviewing anything has a serious question mark regarding their competence.

He does indeed seem a very nice man though.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  14. Subito

Subito pfm Member

According to many YouTube “experts,” my life is sorely lacking because I don’t own a pair of Triangle Borea BR03 speakers.

Somehow I think I’ll survive...

Darren likes this.
  15. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

I like this YouTube reviewer.

16. Darren

Darren All Business

Some brands seem to grasp the Youtube route to promotion better than others. I agree its painfully dull when several of them do a review of the same pair of speakers.... hard to avoid though I'm guessing.
    As a counterpoint Terry at Pursuit Perfect system recently did an long-ish series on budget speakers. The selection was interesting and the amount of effort he put into the series was exhaustive. Fantastic.... and free!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    OldSkool and dudywoxer like this.
  17. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

Part watched about 3 videos from this thread. I'm into HiFi but couldn't sit and listen to all that waffle - just not my thing.

Strangely though, I will quite happily watch someone like Harry Metcalfe chat about sports cars - mind you, there is often more to look at even if it's just a slow walk around.

18. linnfomaniac83

I consume more car related content than anything else by a long way, I’m not just interested in the exotic stuff though, I watch a lot from Car Throttle and HubNut too... dunno why but I find them endlessly watchable.

Charlie_1 likes this.
  19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I actually ended up on this channel when searching for LS3/5As recently! I’m coming at things from a whole other perspective (valve amps, jazz, classical etc) but it’s good to see YouTube opening up a platform for all viewpoints etc. I tend to spend more time on the audiophile/music crossover channels such as Ken Micallef, Michael Fremer and the rest of the Stereophile crowd, but all is good.

PS I’d not use anything other than a LS3/5A as a reference point for a mini-monitor! It is the thing one compares the others too!

Tarzan, Rockmeister and Darren like this.
  20. Darren

Darren All Business

Tastes differ. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch Metcalfe swank off about his car collection and lifestyle. "just off to the French riviera/Italy to a lamborghini event/the Arctic circle in an old Rolls Royce..... Oh look! Jaguar have just dropped off their latest model for me..... Gosh!

Car throttle is hilarious and very real world by comparison. Those lads really work at it.