advertisement

Youssou N'Dour

kasperhauser

pfm Member
Any fans? I have three of his earlier solo albums – The Lion, Set, and Eyes Open - love them all, especially Set (great disc for hifi demos, btw).

He has a ton of stuff out there. What am I missing that others might consider essential?

Here's a fave track, just because:

I have a live album (recorded in Athens, IIRC) that came with the B&W subscription thing they used to have. Peter Gabriel had something to do with it. Essential? Probably not, but I've listened to it occasionally.

Youssou is a GOAT. For me essential listening includes The Guide (Wommat). It's the LP with 7 Seconds feat' Neneh Cherry.

I like the early Youssou N'dour albums with Etoile de Dakar and Super Etoile. Nelson Mandela (the album) is also good. The later albums are a bit slick sounding.

How about Salif Keita? Another great.

Some good suggestions here, thanks. Had forgotten about the duet with Neneh Cherry. I saw them perform it together on TV decades ago (possibly David Letterman's show) and had an instant crush on Ms Cherry.

I have a fair bit of West African stuff, both traditional and more pop oriented. I ought to listen to it more. I have a 2-disc set from Orchestra Baobab, one from Baaba Maal, and Cheikh Lô's first two albums, which probably get played more than any of the others. I guess I like Senegalese music.

I have quite a bit of stuff from Mali as well. Ooh, and a "best of" from Cesária Évora - great singer. Probably my favorite out of the whole region is Tinariwen; the Radio Tisdas Sessions is desert island material for me.

I probably like the West African music the most out of the entire continent. I prefer the older stuff i.e. from 60s-early 80s. Analog Africa and Teranga Beat have put out some tremendous compilations and reissues, mostly in great sound. Don't hesitate.

NW Africa is spectacularly musically rich. Baaba Maal is another GOAT. I've seen him many times live in UK.
His traditional pieces, and modern electronic, are both a joy for me.
From Mali Ali Farka Toure is my GOAT 3. I've the complete collection of his back catalogue.

The Kora greats get a lot of playtime here - Sona Jobarteh, Djeli Moussa Diawara, Seckou Keita, Toumani and Sidiki Diabaté, Batourou Sékou Kouyaté.

Last edited:
My sub-Saharan “Big 5” are N’Dour, Maal, Habib Koite, Vusi Mahlasela, and Ismael Lo.

All were wonderful to see live, and there’s not a single bad album among them!

Malian Afel Bocoum's album Alkibar is a gem.

Screenshot-2022-08-11-at-00-15-35.png

How could anyone not like a record with this cover?

advertisement

Back