advertisement

Your worst ever equipment mishaps...Real right offs !

I’ve just (15 mins or so ago) blown the driver in my big custom Tannoy jobbies (Canterbury ish), through sheer idiocy.

feeling a little sick and ashamed right now
Not a good start to the weekend.

I was devastated when I saw this:

TWoCkhNl.jpg

It had been double boxed too, the original LP12 box and then another outside of that. Heaven knows how they did it (it was the shippers, not me..). But then made an in insurance claim and much happier with the aftermath than the original, so not really a disaster...

jR5wPTxl.jpg

So..onto my own fault...lending my Shelton XP2's + NAD3020 to a (student) housemate for a party. Party in his room, he set it up, I didn't check, CD player connected into phono input, volume up loud for effect, turn it on, BOOM. There was noise, and loud at that, but only for a fraction of a second. Amp was actually OK and lasted for many years more, but speakers were fried. Had to get some Rogers LS4As then, so again not such a bad thing, other than the cost....
...and a rather quiet party..

How did you manage that?

Pratting about rearranging my rack. Moved an item than I had switched off, but I think that the cables at the back pulled on the RCA connection to the RHS monoblock. Which was on and playing. Horrible loud noise for a few seconds whilst I hurriedly switched it off.
Immediately I could see on the 15" driver a new rough circular mark from where the voice coil connects (I think). Also now rubbing on the cone of the centre hi freq. driver. Tried it and big driver dead. :(
Completely my own fault.
Completely gutted.
They had only recently been reconed so drivers were like new.

Pratting about rearranging my rack. Moved an item than I had switched off, but I think that the cables at the back pulled on the RCA connection to the RHS monoblock. Which was on and playing. Horrible loud noise for a few seconds whilst I hurriedly switched it off.
Immediately I could see on the 15" driver a new rough circular mark from where the voice coil connects (I think). Also now rubbing on the cone of the centre hi freq. driver. Tried it and big driver dead. :(
Completely my own fault.
Completely gutted.
They had only recently been reconed so drivers were like new.
Gutted for you buddy, hopefully another recone isn’t devastatingly expensive and you can get a reasonable turnaround time.:(

I have a story, got my current turntable which is a clearaudio performance dc. Purchased a new clearaudio mc to go with. My then girlfriend and her friends had a party one weekend. One evening probably a week later as I went to play a record I noticed the cantilever on the cart was no longer attached! I remember I handled this rather well (it’s only stuff and things after all). I ended up marrying her.

End of last year I was at my friends house and we were drinking red wine, he was demonstrating his brand new 2019 MacBook Pro. I then proceeded to knock a bottle of red wine all over it! I was mortified! He handled well and I paid for the repair, after he declined several times.

I have a story, got my current turntable which is a clearaudio performance dc. Purchased a new clearaudio mc to go with. My then girlfriend and her friends had a party one weekend. One evening probably a week later as I went to play a record I noticed the cantilever on the cart was no longer attached! I remember I handled this rather well (it’s only stuff and things after all). I ended up marrying her.

End of last year I was at my friends house and we were drinking red wine, he was demonstrating his brand new 2019 MacBook Pro. I then proceeded to knock a bottle of red wine all over it! I was mortified! He handled well and I paid for the repair, after he declined several times.
I’ve never damaged anyone else’s HIFI or computer but I did knock the wing mirror off some poor blokes then new MK1 Ford Focus ST170, I’d been involved in a serious road accident a few months prior and was still learning to walk unaided again, and I went off my feet, taking his mirror with me on a Halford’s car park. I waited until he came back, feeling utterly devastated. He couldn’t have been nicer about it, I exchanged details with him but he wouldn’t accept any payment for the damage and insisted that Ford had fixed it for free. I didn’t believe him so I bought him a full compliment of Autoglym products... we became friends and got into the modified and performance car scene, still mates 16 years later!

advertisement

Back