advertisement

Your top 10 Artists (ranked by # items in your collection)

Genesis
Pink Floyd
Marillion
Opeth
Yes
Steely Dan
John Martyn
Joni Mitchell
Massive Attack
Radiohead

Yep, singles, compilations, bootlegs, flexi-discs...etc. They're a great band to collect if you enjoy that kind of thing.

FWIW I know folk who collect SY far more obsessively that I do!

I’m a record dealer, I rather like Sonic Youth, and I have no idea how that is even possible!

PS To my shame I only have Sonic Youth, Evol, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty. Saw them live on the Daydream Nation tour too.

I'm jealous Tony! I didn't get to see them until the Goo tour.

Vinyl only

The Cure -37
Bowie - 27
Pink Floyd - 25
Pearl Jam - 25
Neil young - 24
Genesis - 20 only 2 post seconds out :confused:
Radiohead -18
The Doors - 18
Deep Purple - 14
Talk Talk - 13

Interesting thread and it seems my list is not an exact mirror of my personal top 10 artists although most are represented in there, just not in the order I would necessarily expect (although this concept is of course slewed by the catalogue sizes of the respective artists/bands).

So here goes:

Depeche Mode
Schiller
David Bowie
Peter Gabriel
Kate Bush
U2
Chicane
Joy Division/New Order
Pet Shop Boys
The Beatles

Some cracking artist/bands ranked, makes you go “oh aye, they were good”,
good to see 4 pages in, there’s no mention of Coldplay or Oasis.

In no particular order;

The Fab Four

Floyd

Cream

CCR

Steve Miller Band

Mike Oldfield

Jean Michell Jarre

Public Service Broadcasting

The Smiths

Miles Davis

:)

Belle & Sebastian (must move some of those singles on!)
Tom Waits
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
PJ Harvey
Miles Davis
Pixies
Suede
Bob Dylan
Joni Mitchell
Clifford Brown

Suede should be higher up the list, but I bought the 11 LP box set and flogged off the originals. The same applies to Joni with two box sets, and the Floyd would be there if I hadn’t bought the ‘97 Vinyl collection.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t get past my censorship.

Usually smash up dodgy sheet - using my personal sheetometer.

G. Glitter, B&W Minstrels, R. Harris etc

Once you go down that route a lot of good material would potentially vanish pretty sharpish, e.g. Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson etc. A fair bit of jazz and blues stuff too.

I notice that Thriller is slated for a high-end Mo-Fi ‘One Step’ audiophile reissue later this year, a 40,000 $100 pressing that will almost certainly sell-out on pre-order, so I assume Michael Jackson’s recorded legacy outweighs any (in fairness unproven) accusations. Bill Wyman’s behaviour didn’t seem to dent the Stones much either. There’s no saving a Black & White Minstrels album though it has to be said!

Once you go down that route a lot of good material would potentially vanish pretty sharpish, e.g. Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson etc. A fair bit of jazz and blues stuff too.

I notice that Thriller is slated for a high-end Mo-Fi ‘One Step’ audiophile reissue later this year, a 40,000 $100 pressing that will almost certainly sell-out on pre-order, so I assume Michael Jackson’s recorded legacy outweighs any (in fairness unproven) accusations. Bill Wyman’s behaviour didn’t seem to dent the Stones much either. There’s no saving a Black & White Minstrels album though it has to be said!

Like I said, using my personal sheetometer and experience.

As it goes, it is ultra rare to get any Stones or Jackson donated, but B&W Minstrels, Harris & Glitter get donated frequently.

I don’t keep a list of known prosecuted abusers, but remember those who I know of
- i.e. Jonathan King goes in the bin as well.

Gives me a sense of satisfaction, so that is a positive.

advertisement

Back