advertisement

Your top 10 Artists (ranked by # items in your collection)

Most items according to Roon

Neeme Järvi
David Bowie
London symphony Orchestra
Marissa Nadler
Catherine Lara
Osmo Vänskä
Yes
The Beatles
The Gathering
Leonard Cohen

Most listened to according to Roon

Marina (and the Diamonds)
Faun
Hundreds
Veden Kolod
Eliwagar
Runahild
Christine and the Queens
Ols
Kaleida
Andrea Haugen (in her various guises)

Of the most-items-list only two turn up in the fifty most played list - LSO at 12 and Marissa Nadler at 49...

I'm not going to actually count them as most of my records are currently inaccessible, but I have a lot of these:

The Beatles
The Cure
The Clash
Nick Cave
Cardiacs
Kinks
PJ Harvey
Led Zepplin
AC/DC
The Pogues

If I was to fully consider my better half's stash then The Smiths, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses etc would push their way into the list.

Hi, well that was strange, i have cd's in everybody's list's, apart from, lordmortlock, not only do i have no cd's in his list, i have not heard of any of the artist's, don't know if this is a good thing or not, will give a few a quick spin on YouTube, :rolleyes:
I've heard of about half of them, but have only heard two of them (Bon Iver and James Blake).

Everything by John Coltrane, including shedloads of bootlegs
Everything by Miles Davis
Everything by Thelonious Monk
Everything by Ornette Coleman
Everything by The Fall
Everything by the Beatles, plus shedloads of bootlegs
95% of Zappa
Everything by Bob Dylan, including all the Bootleg Series boxes
Everything by Eyeless in Gaza and Martyn Bates
Everything by Cardiacs and related bands
Etc

Not in order...

Genesis
Deep Purple
Eurythmics
Rainbow
Led Zep
REM
Blue Oyster Cult
Barclay James Harvest
Creedance Clearwater Rivival
Focus
Jackson Browne
Joe Satriani
Pink Floyd
Santana
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Yes
Kate Bush

1. The Who
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Dr Feelgood
4. The Clash
5. The Allman Brothers Band
6. The Rolling Stones
7. John Coltrane
8. The Steve Miller Band
9. Miles Davis
10. Boz Scaggs
A late mention for Jimmy Smith, who comes in at 11, with 11.

CD box sets change everything. I probably would have said Pink Floyd or Leonard Cohen but I've got a few CD box sets so Fela Kuti takes the number one spot thanks to the Complete Fela Kuti box set. Next up after that is Herbie Hancock with the Complete Columbia Recordings box set, followed by a Miles Davis 20-album box set.

I've got a couple of CD box sets of Mahler along with a blu ray set by Abbado-Lucerne FO so I've got more Mahler than any other composer and by a country mile at that. In fact, I've got more Mahler than I do of Pink Floyd or Leonard Cohen so there you go. CD box sets change everything.

Lots of good top artist/bands, David Ellwood and Big Tabs have listed what i’d list growing up,
perhaps drop London Wainwright and Bob Dylan and insert Kraftwerk and Donna Summer,
now grown up/old,think some would be replaced by Folk/country and middle of the road easy listening stuff.:)

…so Fela Kuti takes the number one spot thanks to the Complete Fela Kuti box set.

I’d forgot that one, if we were counting albums rather than items that would be up my list after Miles and Coltrane and ahead of Jarrett.

My record and CD collections are in such disarray due to having run out of storage space and my sloppy filing habits that it’s too difficult in most cases to count, but not counting duplicates, not including mono and stereo pressings or pressing variations and counting box sets as one. I am fairly certain:
1. John Coltrane (25)
2. Joni Mitchell (20)
3. Lee Morgan (around 18 as leader, but if I were to count all the ones where he is the featured player he would probably be number 1).
4. Keith Jarrett
Then probably in no order, but at above 10 entries:
Jackie McLean
Miles Davis
Charlie Mingus
Ornette Coleman
Fairport Convention
Little Feat

In no particular order:
Miles Davis
Neil Young
John Coltrane
Bill Evans
Jimi Hendrix
Charles Mingus
Beatles
Lee Morgan
Lee Perry
Velvet Underground

Holy shit some people have a lot from one artist/band!

I think mine is Radiohead, which is what, 8 or 9 maybe? Very few artists do I own more than 3-4 bits of.

I think rather than being a superfan I am just a casual fan of a lot of things. Even artists I really like I'm not interested enough to check out everything they've ever committed to recording.

I also suffer that affliction of only liking one thing someone has done and nothing else, so I own a lot of single albums.

'Yesterday, Matthew, I was a Factory completist
But tonight, Matthew, I'm gonna be with Jesus'.

HMHB are the nearest I get to completist; 17 albums plus a couple of EPs. Next is Bowie with 12 albums, then the Beatles with 11. Actually, scrub round that, as I also have four Beatles compilations, so they come second.

advertisement

Back