advertisement

Your top 10 Artists (ranked by # items in your collection)

I've not set up a discogs audit, but having a quick scan of the shelves, looking at both vinyl and CD, and taking composers as sort of equivalent to artists

Miles ( by miles)
Coltrane
Yo La Tengo
Tom Waits
Bach
Keith Jarrett ( on one record playing Bach)
Ornette Coleman
Mingus
Mozart
Bill Frisell

If I don't count composers and just count performers, REM, Neil Young and Brad Mehldau make the cut)

Barbra Streisand

Only got a couple here...

9-E7579-FD-605-B-4-A60-9-A45-3066-E0-DA37-C8.jpg

Discogs -> export collection -> open CSV in Google Sheets -> use the Explorer tool and type "10 most frequent column B"

This is my not too unexpected result:

the fall = 47
sonic youth = 15
carcass = 14
ramones = 14
ac/dc = 12
david bowie = 12
various = 12
motörhead = 11
rudimentary peni = 10
black sabbath = 9

(Not sure what to do about the "various" yet)

Discogs -> export collection -> open CSV in Google Sheets -> use the Explorer tool and type "10 most frequent column B"

That wouldn’t catch box sets, e.g. the 71 disc Miles Complete Columbia Albums which is 50 or so complete albums (many are doubles) and represents a body of work from the late 50s through to the 1980s would only count as one item. I’ve got quite a lot of stuff in box sets such as this.

Hi, well that was strange, i have cd's in everybody's list's, apart from, lordmortlock, not only do i have no cd's in his list, i have not heard of any of the artist's, don't know if this is a good thing or not, will give a few a quick spin on YouTube, :rolleyes:

That wouldn’t catch box sets, e.g. the 71 disc Miles Complete Columbia Albums which is 50 or so complete albums (many are doubles) and represents a body of work from the late 50s through to the 1980s would only count as one item. I’ve got quite a lot of stuff in box sets such as this.

Yeah, it's not perfect, I think it will also count different pressings of the same album.

Hi, well that was strange, i have cd's in everybody's list's, apart from, lordmortlock, not only do i have no cd's in his list, i have not heard of any of the artist's, don't know if this is a good thing or not, will give a few a quick spin on YouTube, :rolleyes:

A heady mix of Hip hop, folk, pop, dub, electronica and Afrobeat mostly. Enjoy! (I hope)

Just a bit of fun - how many separate items have you bought?

I’d be somewhere around 30-35 with Miles rather than 120 or so counting that way, and that would be including stuff I have on both vinyl and CD, alternative masterings etc. It would mean Coltrane would overtake as his Impulse catalogue hasn’t been stuck in a neat box yet so represents a big chunk of vinyl and CDs, and even then leaves some gaps that still need filling.

On a simple ‘most actual vinyl/not CDs’ basis it has to be Bowie at 26. That’s twenty two albums, two 12” singles, one 10” and one 7” and arrived at by getting up and counting physical items on the shelf! Coltrane would be next at 20 LPs (only counting Heavyweight Champion as one rather than the ten or whatever is in it!). Nothing else comes close. From there it’s down to stuff like Durutti Column (12), Kraftwerk (12), and it will drop off pretty sharpish below that.

Any item - album, single, CD, paid download, bootleg, dodgy tapes, comps, etc. Doubles, triples, box sets count as a single unit. Approximately as follows...

1 Bruce Springsteen (by a country mile, about 140 :oops:)
2 Elvis Costello
3 Tom Waits
4 Miles Davis
5 Squeeze
6 Bob Dylan
7 Billy Bragg
8 The Beatles
9 Bowie
10 Cocteau Twins.

You've a dry sense of humour:rolleyes:... adding Springsteen to all that great stuff LOL:D

Haydn
Coltrane
Shostakovich
Beefheart
Mahler
Schoenberg
Stockhausen
Monk
Westbrook
Glass

Reflecting on this I think these are a very large proportion of my listening themes

advertisement

Back