advertisement

Your secondary systems...

My main system is in the basement with all my records (LP12, Exposure Amps, Tannoy System 1000). It’s linked via the tape output to two Sonos Amps, one in the living room (Tannoy DMT15] and the other in a three season porch (ATC SCM-7). I also have a Sonos 3 speaker in the kitchen.

This setup allows me to direct my basement turntable to any or all of the systems upstairs. The Sonos app allows me to control each group and the volume of each system with a master volume control once balanced, all from my iPad or iPhone. Many times I have all three rooms going at once. I also stream Spotify, listen to internet radio through the three upstairs systems and watch tv using the amp in the porch as well.

House is wired and interconnected, Linn based, systems evolved over 30+ years
Main room, lounge (GIK treated), is Klimax LP12 and KDS into PMC Fact8, but is also AV with 5.1 Marantz and Epson PJ.

2nd System, Music room, upstairs spare room, GIK Treated
LP12/Ekos2/Lingo1/Adikt+ Akurate DSM/K into Linn A4200 bi-amping modified Celestion SL6si (Jantzen crossovers)

3rd system, Day room/kitchen
Majik DSM + 2250/D power amp into Dynaudio Gemini DIY kit speakers (27 years old!) LG C9 OLED

4th system - Study
Windows Workstation - iFi Zen DAC (USB), IncaTech Claymore amp, Linn Kan2

5th system - Garage/Workshop
iPad iFi nano DAC, Creek 4040s2 amp + JPW Mini Monitor gold.

The Linn items will talk to each other for multi room and can share the 2nd LP12 to other rooms. All systems can access local NAS, Tidal, and internet radio. All controlled from an iPad or the PC.

Main system has AG Horns, Bergmann Sindre & Technics R2R with some vintage Japanese high end stuff in-between.

Just put a second system in the lounge which is a Technics SL7 + 310MC cart into some Audience 1+1 speakers supplemented by a Velodyne sub. More vintage Japanese high end stuff in-between.

My second system comprises of hand-me-downs from first system upgrades, so now comprises of a Linn Axis, Naim Nait 5i2 and Mordaunt Short MS3.30 'speakers, which popped back into my first system recently and they truly are wonderful speakers. Digital is fed via a Raspberry Pi/Allo Dac. It's a dining room system really, so the Pi gets the most use. I do have a spare Rega Dac, but went for the Allo Dac option for the wife-acceptence/fewer boxes appeal.

I have a Sonos Play 3 in the diner/kitchen & a Denon shoebox system in main bedroom into some Gale speakers. The latter is a rather over specced alarm clock.

I have a Sono Beem in the living room which is connected to the TV.

This is all I need

Second system in the kitchen / TV / day room is

Bluesound node 2
Naim 32.5 - Hicap - 110
NHT 2.5i

Its enjoyable enough but it only plays the notes, nothing else.

System in workshop is Tandberg TR-2055 receiver with Mordaunt Short Festival II speakers and a second DAC is software switchable to send streamed audio via a 10m interconnect to the Tandberg also. Radio 2 about 8 hours a day through this usually.
I had a Tandberg TA300m amp many years ago. I got rid of it and it took me a few different amps afterwards to realise how good it was. Wish I’d kept hold of it.

Th nearest I get to a second system is an iPod, an iPhone and noise-cancelling headphones for travelling.

No need for such a thing at home - the hifi is in the sitting room with no tv to compete for space while the wife has her toys in another room.

I'm currently (slowly, periodically) going through my entire vinyl collection in pursuit of a radical cull to reduce what was once perhaps 12,000 records to something considerably less and to catalogue in the process. That might sound like an enviable number, but I've spent all my adult life in the music business in one form or another including a long stretch as a music journalist, so an inordinate majority are house music 12"s from the late 80s on.

I digress. To avoid unnecessary wear and tear on my main system, and because the process is easier in situ, some time ago I rigged up an ad-hoc system in the main record store room. This consisted of a standard Technics SL1210, a NAD 304 integrated and a pair of Castle Severns, which did the job unremarkably. Since I sold the Castles and replaced them with my old Royd Apex (which served in my main system for many years) however, I am being constantly wowed by how good this set up now sounds. A little too good in fact, even allowing for a niggly static problem on the deck (the headshell and/or arm wiring, I suspect) as the point is to get rid of as many records as possible!

I only have one system, no room for a second one

More importantly where are you advertising the vinyl you have for sale?

Thanks

Main system is purely digital: Rpi, MDAC, MiniDSP (bass only) RadfordSTA25, ML Summits - Radford drives only the panels.

In the Barn (our office, garage, and TV room, bedsit, AirBnB (one day...)) - Vynil system, Transcriptors Skeleton/Vestigial, Decca London Gold, Naim based head amp, Radford SC22, Cyrus AV5, Gainclones, Quad 57 with Linn Sizmik sub, with class D power amp. (Meridian M30 actives as rear, Fostex open back as centre)

Kitchen: SB Touch, miniDSP 2x4 running LS3/5a cabinets with Monacor drivers, powered by IcePower modules, active with DSP and digital x-over (superb!)

Bedroom: SB Touch, Muse Class D, Denon/Mission speakers mounted on ceiling brackets.

Bathroom: SB Touch, T-Amp with industrial SMPS, marine spec ceiling speakers.

Library: Chromecast Audio, Denon shoebox amp / CD, JPW mini.

Office: SB Touch, shunt passive pot, Meridian M3 Actives.

Garden: Q-Audio 2020, with Rpi with power amp hat, runs of 12v SLA system.

Patio table: Rpi nano, with power amp hat, running off 12v Lipo pack, and four Alpine car speakers - equalised for HD600 phones - mainly used with 'phones.

No music system in cellar yet, or spare room, I do have a preamp and power amp spare, but a bit short on speakers, wife has suggested maybe enough is enough...

I had a Tandberg TA300m amp many years ago. I got rid of it and it took me a few different amps afterwards to realise how good it was. Wish I’d kept hold of it.
Radio 2 is ok as well. I spent many years working in management grades in a big company. It was shit. A few years ago I got a job in a light engineering workshop. I only lasted a year, but I did enjoy listening to radio 2. The exceptions being the ginger whinger and zoe ball.

Main System (living room)
Linn Akurate DSM (HDMI 2 with surround sound)
Linn Akurate Exaktbox 6 Katalyst
Linn 4200 power amp
Kudos Super 20A speakers

On surround duties
Linn Majik Exaktbox-i
Linn Av5120 centre speaker
Linn AV5110 surround speakers

Secondary system (dining room)
Moon Neo Ace
Dynaudio Special 40 Speakers

Tertiary System(kitchen)
Linn Sekrit DS
Linn AV5110 speakers

All three systems have access to music stored locally on a Melco HA-N1A, internet streaming services, and internet radio.

I only have one wife and one system, and struggle to find enough time to share between the two... You guys must be super-human.

Or retired, single, retired and single?

Second system: Sony ES components

Third system: have just started putting together an early nineties Rotel system.

My second system located in the kids play room is a Naim UQ2 BT with Allae speakers, lovely balanced sound could stop there.

Main system is purely digital: Rpi, MDAC, MiniDSP (bass only) RadfordSTA25, ML Summits - Radford drives only the panels.

In the Barn (our office, garage, and TV room, bedsit, AirBnB (one day...)) - Vynil system, Transcriptors Skeleton/Vestigial, Decca London Gold, Naim based head amp, Radford SC22, Cyrus AV5, Gainclones, Quad 57 with Linn Sizmik sub, with class D power amp. (Meridian M30 actives as rear, Fostex open back as centre)

Kitchen: SB Touch, miniDSP 2x4 running LS3/5a cabinets with Monacor drivers, powered by IcePower modules, active with DSP and digital x-over (superb!)

Bedroom: SB Touch, Muse Class D, Denon/Mission speakers mounted on ceiling brackets.

Bathroom: SB Touch, T-Amp with industrial SMPS, marine spec ceiling speakers.

Library: Chromecast Audio, Denon shoebox amp / CD, JPW mini.

Office: SB Touch, shunt passive pot, Meridian M3 Actives.

Garden: Q-Audio 2020, with Rpi with power amp hat, runs of 12v SLA system.

Patio table: Rpi nano, with power amp hat, running off 12v Lipo pack, and four Alpine car speakers - equalised for HD600 phones - mainly used with 'phones.

No music system in cellar yet, or spare room, I do have a preamp and power amp spare, but a bit short on speakers, wife has suggested maybe enough is enough...
You do like your Touches.You have good taste.

Denon TU 260L, Nait 3, Rega Kyte in kitchen/dining room - Like Wobblybob, I think Radio 2 is quite good at times (Zoe Ball has stopped my listening first thing in the morning, Steve Wright gets on my nerves, Sara Cox has good playlists imo).

advertisement

Back