advertisement

Your secondary systems...

I'm seriously considering downgrading my turntable (RP10) for this exact reason. A less revealing system makes it so much easier to enjoy less that perfect recordings. Which is maybe seventy percent of them!

Years ago I counted my records with a view to putting them in order. I realised there was no earthly way I could ever listen to them all so I started getting rid of them. I decided to restrict myself to what I could fit in my record storage unit. Ok, so I now have another record unit and I still have a pile by the chair but it's a good thing to try and do ;0) I've still got albums I know I'll never play, ones that only have one good track o them, heck I've got albums I've never listened to! It's crazy really.

Our second system consists of Musical Fidelity X-A1, X-Ray and X- Plora - amp/CD/tuner respectively with NHT Absolute Zero loudspeakers alongside an Arcam Delta 100 cassette deck.

Not bad for what it is.

Main rig (Linn/Naim/Neat) in a dedicated listening room.

Naim Uniti with Kef Q5 speakers in the lounge. It covers CD, Streaming and radio duties, also feed the TV set top box and Bluray player through it.

Bedroom / office system consists of a hand-me-down Arcam A5 and some Goodmans Ministers, fed by a Mac Mini and £50 DAC. I was frankly miffed at how good a job it does, given the expense of the main system next door!

It does that trick of making you think 'why do I need any more than this', but when the main system is playing I soon realise what I'd be missing. Win-win.
Totally with you on this. When I find another way to enjoy the music and it makes me smile I am always delighted, especially if it cost me peanuts.

Second system as follows;

Technics SL1200MK2 ( tweaked ) SME V/Hana SL/ Project Phono Box RS.

SONY X55ES CD Player.

Virtue Audio Sensation M451 Tripath amplifier ( tweaked ).

Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

:)

Main system in the living room

Reviewing setup in the listening room (plus lots of turntables!)

B&O BeoSound Core plus Beolab 6000s in the dining room

B&O BeoSound 1 in the kitchen.

I only run one system, however this gets changed up from time to time, just because. Main rig is my signature line, with maybe a change of the speakers to my WLM La Scala monitors.

Or:

Naim ND5XS2/Croft Micro 25 pre/Series 7 amp/WLM La Scala or Duevel Venus, with the Holbo TT thrown in every now and then as well.

Or:

Naim ND5XS2/Nait XS3/Guru Junior, with Holbo TT thrown in every now and then.

I have to admit, I like most any of the combinations here, but there are times when I just wish I could wean myself off of multiple setup possibilities, wears me out thinking about it!

On the Hoffman forum, I came across a guy who reduced his 8,000 collection down to roughly 800 of really prime stuff! And he was still planning to get down to maybe 400-500 in the end. I am sure I can't do this.

I definately couldn't do it. I can't be arsed to rip my CDs either TBH!

Bedroom has a

Chromecast Audio
CA A3i
Tannoy MERCURY M2

then we have a Ruark R2 in the kitchen, which is really great

A tip for the Ruark, at the bottom of their website, they have "graded" section, I got one and its immaculate!

Second system is in the lounge. Yamaha RN-402 and Mark Audio Sota Cesti MB’s. One box, 2 small speakers and a smart TV, that’s it. All music and TV streamed. Sounds excellent and a very high WAF. We use the lounge once a week if that, just love the simplicity of it when we do.

I have a secondary system in a totally different space consisting of a 1200mk2/Nait 2/Naim IBLs. But, as a number of people has pointed out, the system sounds great for what it is and is very enjoyable.

I have this set up as my main system at the moment (LP12) an I really enjoy it.

My second system is in my attic a Uniti with Rogers LS7t (this would be my main system but the Rogers need space and the IBLs beat them against a wall).

Though I've some spare components I don't really have a second system or even a TV system set up at present.
However I do use a 30 year old Denon midi system and Mission speakers for listening to tapes, CDs and the radio in my garage/workshop, it sounds pretty good.

System in workshop is Tandberg TR-2055 receiver with Mordaunt Short Festival II speakers and a second DAC is software switchable to send streamed audio via a 10m interconnect to the Tandberg also. Radio 2 about 8 hours a day through this usually.

Planning my No. 2 system now, to give me something to look forward to this summer.

Technics 1210 and Aiwa ad f800 cassette
Musical Fidelity A1
Mission 752s with updated tweeters

(and a portable Minidisc player)

A few Squeezeboxes around the house.
I don't really need anything else if I'm not sat down actively listening.

Living room/2nd system: Rega P3 (with Funk F5 arm/AT33EV. Rega Aria. Chord Mojo/pi/Allo Digione. Project S2 Analogue Pre and Pass Amp Camp amp into Audeze LCD-X

Just finishing my desk set up: Mytek Stereo192/Pi/Hifiberry Digi+. Adam Artist 5 in extreme nearfield configuration

advertisement

Back