advertisement

Your secondary systems...

kensalriser

pfm Member
I'm currently (slowly, periodically) going through my entire vinyl collection in pursuit of a radical cull to reduce what was once perhaps 12,000 records to something considerably less and to catalogue in the process. That might sound like an enviable number, but I've spent all my adult life in the music business in one form or another including a long stretch as a music journalist, so an inordinate majority are house music 12"s from the late 80s on.

I digress. To avoid unnecessary wear and tear on my main system, and because the process is easier in situ, some time ago I rigged up an ad-hoc system in the main record store room. This consisted of a standard Technics SL1210, a NAD 304 integrated and a pair of Castle Severns, which did the job unremarkably. Since I sold the Castles and replaced them with my old Royd Apex (which served in my main system for many years) however, I am being constantly wowed by how good this set up now sounds. A little too good in fact, even allowing for a niggly static problem on the deck (the headshell and/or arm wiring, I suspect) as the point is to get rid of as many records as possible!

My second system consists of a Rega RP1/Elys2, Linn Genki, Arcam R-Link DAC (connected to Sony Android TV), Linn Majik I, Linn LK100 and a pair of Royd Sapphires on Mission Stancette stands, not sure what the HIFI rack is but it’s glass, steel, neat and very rigid... anyway, it’s in the Living room (my main system is in a dedicated room) and it sounds absolutely superb, a very lively, energetic and all round fun system.

My 2nd system isn't a vinyl front end, but the one on my office. iMac, feeding a Motu Ultralite Mk III audio interface via firewire, into Adam A7 monitors and the Adam A7 sub. Motu connections to the Adams is standard balanced XLR's. Music streamed via Roon/Qobuz. This set up got me into thinking about active speakers for the main system.

The Adam A7 is a near-field monitor, and they are very clean and clear indeed. The headphone output on the Motu also is very good.

I have two second systems set up well one is more for PC. Metrum Onyx DAC and Hyperspace TT 12 inch Origin Illustrious arm and benz ebony black. Shared amp of Chord CPA 2200 pre and 1200 power amp. drives either Raidho x1 or Audience 1+1 with subs for both. Sound is excellent through both systems and considering the small speaker size compared with the Avant Gardes in the main system they get almost as satisfying. Headphones via KGSS amp and stax 009s or 007s

Still lament the loss of some superb 2nd systems namely a CD65SEII (Ishiwata blessed) CDP into a Marantz Pm-4 and Acoustic Energy AE1s; Cambridge Sonata NP30 into Lentek and Tannoy CPA-5 (theatre reinforcement speakers). My current 'office' system is Audirvana wirelessly connected to a Melco driving a TEAC AI-301DA into Spendor A1s - immense stereo imagery, wide dynamics, smooth and communicative (though a tad spoiled by a very pronounced room boom).
DGP

MacBook Pro with external HDD. Audirvana software. Jitterbug x 2 > Chord Mojo > Burson Conductor V2+ > HiFiMan HE560 with Cardas headphone cable. Chord Mojo is a recent addition as the internal DAC on the Burson has gone missing. Bit of a shame as I had a PS Audio Lan Rover in the system and liked what it did. Also the Burson was a bit more organic and full toned. 5yr warranty on Burson so will box it up and send it back to Melbourne. Not such a terrible thought as in Sydney. This system gets a lot more use as main rig in main family room so hardly ever empty.

My main system is the one in my study but we have quite a few others in the house.

Living Room: Project Debut/DL110, Cambridge Audio phono stage, Audiolab 8200CD, Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 2, Audio Note Oto, Triangle Titus XS. I could do with changing the amp for one with remote control (it was supposed to be getting an Onix DNA45 but the one they eventually shipped me has a broken remote volume control) and then get it linked into the TV as well. It's a very nice sounding set-up and does get a fair amount of use, mostly with vinyl.

Bedroom: Rega Planar 2 (a Moth badged one)/RB300/Audio Technica MC, Simaudio Moon 110LP phono stage, Cambridge Audio 840c CD, Cambridge Audio Dacmagic, Onix DNA 45, Naim Credo's. Bit if a bodge of what was lying around at the time this (it used to be a Naim active set-up) so really could do with getting a different set of speakers for it although the Credo's sound pretty good with the DNA45. This gets a fair bit of use as well, mostly with CD. I must get around to linking the TV in as a source as well.

We've also got a little system in the kitchen with Tannoy speakers and one of the "all-in-one" Cambridge Audio things and my son has a mostly Arcam/Mission system in his bedroom. They also get a fair bit of use - my wife uses the radio in the kitchen set-up quite a bit and at meals we stream spotify to it for a little bit of quiet background music. It's quite a useful little thing that Cambridge Audio all-in one and I recall it being very cheap as well.

A nice little office system:

LP12/Kore/Lingo/Audiomods Classic tonearm/Denon DL103 in a metal body/Zafvino Mahone cable / Cambridge CXC cd transport + Maplin DAC / Nakamichi 600 cassette deck / Naim NAC42.5/Hi-Cap +TPR4 regulator / ZAP120 power amp / Linn MKI Kans on Sound Organisation wall brackets + Linn K20 cable. I also use a Toshiba Satellite laptop with an M2TECH HiFace two converter for streaming internet radio into the Maplin DAC. The amplifier, which I have christened the ZAP120, started life as a Naim NAP120, but when I bought it, it had been converted onto a power supply. I converted it back to an amplifier, using the original frame transformer, a pair of NAP250 boards, and an Avondale NAP110 power supply module.

I have a very modest second system that I only recently installed and it’s CA based.I have a Pi with Justboom Amp/Dac powering a set of JPW Minim Speakers. It’s basis is piCoreplayer and LMS server software. Controlled by SqueezePad on my IPad. An absolute surprise and delight to listen to. I also have a pair of Ela Mk 1s that I intend to refurbish and recover to make another system.

I am a bit crazy, I suppose.

The main system is in the music room. Won't discuss it here. There are many secondaries...

Living room:
-Pioneer BDP-140 bluray player / Marantz NR-1603 AV receiver / Tannoy DC6T + DC4

Study:
-PC running EqualizerAPO / TEAC A-H01 / Quad L-ite
-PC / DIY headphone/preamp / Fostex PM0.5 actives / AKG-K400

Kitchen:
-Sonos Play:1

Games room:
-Playstation 4Pro / Pioneer SX-S30DAB smart receiver / Tannoy DC4

Son#1:
-Denon DM-31 mini / Rogers LS-1

Son#2:
-Pioneer H-XM20 mini

Music room:
-PC / TEAC UD-501 DAC / TEAC AH-501 headphone amp / Nakamichi CR-4E deck / Sony MDR-MA900

-Rega Planet CD / Sansui TU-317 FM / TEAC V-1RX deck / Apogee MiniDAC / DIY pre / LFD PA0 / KEF Q-Compact (also serves as Hafler-surround for the main system)

-Technics SL-1200MkII + DL301 / Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 / Marantz CD-52SE / Cyrus One / Technics SB-F2

-(abandoned) work in progress: DIY BMR-based digital-active speakers with attached network streamer

Work:
-PC / Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 / Sony MDR-MA900

My second system is an Exposure CDP, Exposure pre/power amps, those tiny Harbeth speakers that I can never remember the name of, and a Stax headphone. There's also an AR turntable, but that's unused at the moment.

LP12 in a second system? Blimey. "Oh yes, we only use the Mercedes S500 for shopping" .

That aside, mine is a Rote CD 965, Leak Troughline, Amazon tablet front end, a Chinese Bluetooth pre called a Welliwang Audio, WilliWonka or HWangStain or something, cost all of £50 and is just remarkably good, a Quad 405 into QLN Prestige 3 ways. Sometimes I wire up a Yaqin MC10 integrated instead.

This system is different to the lounge setup (stacked Quads, Garrard etc) but I could easily live with it. I like having 2 systems with different strengths.

I think we should capture third and fourth systems too - like Werner :D

I moved house and had to become more reasonable but in my bachelor days I had a second system of SL1200, can't remember the CD, tumer, Exposre pre and monos and AE1 speakers. Plus a kitchen system of Creek amp and tuner plus Rega bookshelf speakers

I have a mini system in my kitchen now (all in one) but with Lin Tukans :D

I no longer rank my systems as #1 or #2 really, its just ‘full-range’ and ‘near-field’. I don’t feel one is inherently better than the other, they just have different strengths and weaknesses. They bring a different perspective. There are different sources between them too (SACD & analogue tuner upstairs in the near-field rig, vinyl, CD and tape downstairs), but that’s just down to space more than design. I’d not want to be without either presentation. I’ve also got a Quad 303 and a pair of Spendor S3/5R for the TV, but that’s just for that purpose, so not a ‘system’ as such.

LP12 in a second system? Blimey. "Oh yes, we only use the Mercedes S500 for shopping" .

If only! Mines an old 07 plate Audi A4 estate, but I like having the second system because it gives me time to listen to music when the main system is unavailable (home working, people watching TV etc). Made up of bits left over and collected over the years. I moved over to a Garrard 401 for the main system and didn't sell the LP12, so it became free as it were.

The second system is in the lounge and doubles as TV / Home cinema.
Working backwards: ATC SCM20 active towers; Primare Pre32 with MM30 digital streaming board; Oppo 103EU into which I can plug a Chromecast if I want to, using the front pannel HDMI in; Aston Fransat satellite box; Sony CDP-791 bought cheap on a whim; Pure AV PF30 mains filter; some ancient flatscreen LG TV; Optoma projector.

In the bedroom, there's a Primare cdi10 all-in-one system; chromecast audio; Arcam R-DAC; TDL floorstanding speakers, all from ebay when found cheap, except for the Arcam which came from here.

2nd system (Rave cave)for my thousands of house/jungle records is 2x Stanton direct drives, vestax mixer, onix oa21/ soap(allium audio prototype) & ruark epilogue.Also nakamichi dr2 for rave/club tapes.
3rd & 4th is bluesound flex2i speakers synced up to the vault for the office & bedroom! I personally think these are great little speakers which work very well with the vault!2nd one turned up an hour ago.

Do update us on your progress in culling your sizeable collection. I am planning to do the same, but gradually. But I am still buying more.

On the Hoffman forum, I came across a guy who reduced his 8,000 collection down to roughly 800 of really prime stuff! And he was still planning to get down to maybe 400-500 in the end. I am sure I can't do this.

I have a secondary system in a totally different space consisting of a 1200mk2/Nait 2/Naim IBLs. But, as a number of people has pointed out, the system sounds great for what it is and is very enjoyable. Unfortunately one of the speaker tweeters has died and I will need to get round to replacing it.

I'm currently (slowly, periodically) going through my entire vinyl collection in pursuit of a radical cull to reduce what was once perhaps 12,000 records to something considerably less and to catalogue in the process. That might sound like an enviable number, but I've spent all my adult life in the music business in one form or another including a long stretch as a music journalist, so an inordinate majority are house music 12"s from the late 80s on.

I digress. To avoid unnecessary wear and tear on my main system, and because the process is easier in situ, some time ago I rigged up an ad-hoc system in the main record store room. This consisted of a standard Technics SL1210, a NAD 304 integrated and a pair of Castle Severns, which did the job unremarkably. Since I sold the Castles and replaced them with my old Royd Apex (which served in my main system for many years) however, I am being constantly wowed by how good this set up now sounds. A little too good in fact, even allowing for a niggly static problem on the deck (the headshell and/or arm wiring, I suspect) as the point is to get rid of as many records as possible!

advertisement

Back