advertisement

Your LP12 tonearm history

Syrinx PU2 > Ittok > Ekos > Ekos SE

Also have an Akito, RB300 and Aro here for comparisons.

Grace 707
Syrinx PU2
Naim Aro

Linn LV-V
Linn Akito
Linn LVII

Linn Basik Plus
Manticore Musician
Alphason Xenon

Mission 774
Kuzma Stogi (original)
Rega RB300
Roksan Nima

The Nima sits neatly between the Stogi and the 774 in terms of bass slam and imaging.

1989 to 91 Akito mk1. Not great
1991 to date Aro. Totally happy, but not heard any direct comparisons since 91.

My first one came with an Ittok fitted, sounded pretty damn good but I got a great deal on a MK1 Ekos, cost neutral and a fair bit better, I did get the Ekos upgraded to MK2 spec almost immediately though, fitted a rega RB250 whilst it was away which was surprisingly good, the MK2 Ekos is my keeper arm though. I had a second LP12 with a MK1 Akito, I thought the Akito was crap so I got another Ittok and then a Roksan Nima, the Nima comes a close second to the Ekos 2.

First LP12: 80's Valhalla, came with a Notts An Omega Point (SpaceArm ancestor). Fantastic sound, best of the lot.
Second - Lingo Mk1/Cirkus/Ittok. OK, not startlingly good.
At the same time - very early LP12, Basik PSU, pre corner brace, SME 3009 S2imp, nice, but unspectacular.

I now have the Notts on a 401, it's staggeringly good and fitted with a humble DL110 it was very well liked at FlatP's bakeoff a while ago. That's good enough for me, given that there were cartridges there costing more than a decent car.

Ittok. I expected the set up to be miles ahead of the Rega Planar 3 it replaced and was disappointed to find it was really just different rather than quantifiably better.

Basik LVX
Ittok LVII
Naim Aro

... then went Well Tempered arm and turntable.
Loved that Aro with a geddon-clone supply and a Prefix.

Jason

LP12 No.1 (1985)
RB300
Basik Plus

LP12 No.2 (1990)
Naim Aro
Akito (needed to raise funds from selling Aro to fix my Moto Guzzi!)

LP12 No.3 (2016)
Ittok LVII
Roksan Nima - see absolutely no reason to change, a lovely arm that just 'works' with the LP12.

Had to part with my beloved 850LMll, after 25 years, from new. 85000 with the old bus, great fun, just too ill to use it properly, arthritis etc. Still got the Monza tho, for short blasts out round the moorland roads up here.

advertisement

Back