advertisement

Your loudspeaker holy grail

I think I have come to accept plain black boxes lol

my first floor stander Tannoy DC6T looked very smart indeed but just didn't work on my room boomed too much yet in a larger room were very very good

Big Tannoys (15" canterbury's perhaps)

DBL's (I know, James, we differ on this, but I heard them at Naim where they did some things I don't think any other speaker did for me)

Some huge horn system (is there any large horn system that isn't in some way really a DIY?)

ATC 150's (stand mount only!)

And of course....

Ergo XI's!!!

Can anyone name a beautiful looking great speaker. Function before form works against beauty. Maybe for another thread but few that I can think of.

Can anyone name a beautiful looking great speaker. Function before form works against beauty. Maybe for another thread but few that I can think of.
I think the form of the Yamaha NS-1000M is beautiful; perfectly proportioned and totally functional.

Yeah, quite a few but only IMHO, as both aesthetics and voicing of a loudspeaker are subjective.

Funny Darren and I were just exchanging thoughts on the other current speaker thread. I think the Innersound Isis speakers are good looking and great sounding. Any speaker you can see through is special in my book

Hmmm, well probably Shahinian Diapasons with proper amps to run them.

Gradient Revolutions done active with Gradient subs.

Larger Duevels, say minimum, the Bella Luna, but more likely Sirius in wood veneer.

Speakers I would have liked to have heard but never did,

Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage
Sonus Faber Amati Homage
Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage

Currently I'd fancy a pair of Franco Serblin Accordo Essence, my recent experience with recent Sonus Fabers makes me think they're voiced differently since Franco Serblin departed from SF.

These are more or less what I would love to hear.
Mac

A lot of mentions for Yamaha NS-1000M but no mention for Yamaha NS-5000 (which I am yet to hear) but I do see favorable comparisons.

I guess im half way there , already own the PMC MB2se

kPGkpVo.jpg

final rung on the ladder would be MB2 XBD se , think i may need an even larger room though.

SdT745U.jpg

Depends on you definition of beauty, but one speaker system any Billionaire should hear are Vox Olympians and Palladians. Horn systems that are hand made in various exotic woods and which happen to sound amazing at the same time. Largest wallets only need apply.

https://www.livingvoice.co.uk/vox-palladian-horn-loudspeaker.html

living_voice_vox_olympian by John Dutfield, on Flickr

I guess im half way there , already own the PMC MB2se

final rung on the ladder would be MB2 XBD se , think i may need an even larger room though.

SdT745U.jpg

Ive heard the BB5's driven actively by a stack of Bryston's. They don't half pin your ears back :D:D:D

Not compared to a really good high-efficiency speaker. I absolutely love Quads, possibly my favourite speaker, so nothing I say should be taken in any other light, but you really need to hear a very good large horn system driven by a very good valve amp to understand dynamics.

I have big Living Voice horns and for dynamics a good class D blows all the valve amps I tried into the weeds. Not a long term keeper though....a bit too ‘etched’ for a relaxing listed in the wee small hours..

Kudos T88 Titans for me. Replaced my Naim DBLs with them about 6 years ago and never wanted anything else since. Stunning speakers with the same bass performance as the DBLs and an even more extended mid and top end. I can set them up in an hour too whereas the DBLs were a mission. If I can ever afford it I might consider the Titan 808.

advertisement

Back