Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your loudspeaker holy grail

Discussion in 'audio' started by James, May 26, 2021.

1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Like ugly Tannoys? ;)

2. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Definitely not the fancy ones that look like church furniture. To be honest there’s not a lot of Tannoys that I like to looks of. Maybe something simple like Eatons, as long as the grilles stay on!

3. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

I think I have come to accept plain black boxes lol

my first floor stander Tannoy DC6T looked very smart indeed but just didn't work on my room boomed too much yet in a larger room were very very good

4. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

Right now, sealed box speakers of a similar size and character to JPW Sonatas, but with a nice wood veneer and much more elegant appearance.

RichShortland and Rosie like this.
  5. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

Big Tannoys (15" canterbury's perhaps)

DBL's (I know, James, we differ on this, but I heard them at Naim where they did some things I don't think any other speaker did for me)

Some huge horn system (is there any large horn system that isn't in some way really a DIY?)

ATC 150's (stand mount only!)

And of course....

Ergo XI's!!!

6. Colin L

Colin L High-tech low-life

Can anyone name a beautiful looking great speaker. Function before form works against beauty. Maybe for another thread but few that I can think of.

7. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

They do play loud without sounding loud, that's for sure.

Whooop!

8. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I think the form of the Yamaha NS-1000M is beautiful; perfectly proportioned and totally functional.

9. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Yeah, quite a few but only IMHO, as both aesthetics and voicing of a loudspeaker are subjective.

booja30 likes this.
  10. davidismynaim

davidismynaim pfm Member

Funny Darren and I were just exchanging thoughts on the other current speaker thread. I think the Innersound Isis speakers are good looking and great sounding. Any speaker you can see through is special in my book

Darren L likes this.
  11. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Hmmm, well probably Shahinian Diapasons with proper amps to run them.

Gradient Revolutions done active with Gradient subs.

Larger Duevels, say minimum, the Bella Luna, but more likely Sirius in wood veneer.

12. maccar

maccar pfm Member

These are more or less what I would love to hear.
    Mac

Darren L likes this.
  13. zekezebra

zekezebra pfm Member

A lot of mentions for Yamaha NS-1000M but no mention for Yamaha NS-5000 (which I am yet to hear) but I do see favorable comparisons.

14. Folkman

Folkman pfm Member

I guess im half way there , already own the PMC MB2se

[​IMG]

final rung on the ladder would be MB2 XBD se , think i may need an even larger room though.

[​IMG]

eevo1969, Dozey, nmtjb and 5 others like this.
  15. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Depends on you definition of beauty, but one speaker system any Billionaire should hear are Vox Olympians and Palladians. Horn systems that are hand made in various exotic woods and which happen to sound amazing at the same time. Largest wallets only need apply.

https://www.livingvoice.co.uk/vox-palladian-horn-loudspeaker.html

[​IMG]living_voice_vox_olympian by John Dutfield, on Flickr

JTC and Dozey like this.
  16. Colin L

Colin L High-tech low-life

Ive heard the BB5's driven actively by a stack of Bryston's. They don't half pin your ears back :D:D:D

17. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

...yet my lust is unabated! Phwoar!

[​IMG]

eevo1969, sideshowbob and RJohan like this.
  18. Thetiminator

Thetiminator Painfully virile

I have big Living Voice horns and for dynamics a good class D blows all the valve amps I tried into the weeds. Not a long term keeper though....a bit too ‘etched’ for a relaxing listed in the wee small hours..

19. scottcarpenter

scottcarpenter pfm Member

Kudos T88 Titans for me. Replaced my Naim DBLs with them about 6 years ago and never wanted anything else since. Stunning speakers with the same bass performance as the DBLs and an even more extended mid and top end. I can set them up in an hour too whereas the DBLs were a mission. If I can ever afford it I might consider the Titan 808.

20. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

I'd like to hear these one day, perhaps use at my desk which is where most of my listening takes place until we move house.

Main rig: would be Wilson Audio TOTL - *ducks for cover*, hope to hear the Alexx V in Lisbon soon.