Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your loudspeaker holy grail

Discussion in 'audio' started by James, May 26, 2021.

1. 90125

90125 pfm Member

I quite liked the SL2 and the nSat - didn't really like the SBL or NBL

2. Darmok

Darmok "Didactic Prophylaxes"

12" or 15" version?

I have a pair of 12" Tannoy Mansfields on 5" stands, very good in a smallish medium sized room.

Bettered by Goodmans Tri-Axiom 1220s.

3. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

15" HPDs. I had a lovely pair of 12" Chatsworth Monitor Golds but they were a bit lost in what is a large L shaped room.

Darmok likes this.
  4. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Naim speakers are frickin ugly, old and new. An ugly speaker’s as much good as blind taxi driver.

Durmbo and booja30 like this.
  5. 90125

90125 pfm Member

A little harsh? Maybe not.

6. geoturbo

geoturbo pfm Member

TimF and nmtjb like this.
  7. geoturbo

geoturbo pfm Member

Ps. Really niice speakers around here!

8. nmtjb

nmtjb pfm Member

I'm determined to get a stacked pair of ESL 57's in operation before I croak it. I have the bits, including some decent subs and supertweeters (latter probably not needed), even have a space big enough to do them justice, just need another year of occasional DIY bodging to make it habitable/dry enough to occupy.

sideshowbob and chartz like this.
  9. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

The price is silly. A Stereophile reference, it has to be.
    I don’t read it any longer, even though I get it every month. Too many ads too. Can’t be bothered anymore.
    I’m sure they are nice to hear… they got rave reviews here too.

geoturbo likes this.
  10. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

Each to their own Intro's/,credo have not aged well, SBLs still look ok I think the diminutive size and sloping front has a certain charm and went full circle the black ash looks better than I remembered

11. geoturbo

geoturbo pfm Member

@chartz silly money? Don't go checking how much are the latest Pawel Elektra.. ok very likely I would like to hear these

12. pocketkitchen

pocketkitchen Registered User

SBLs are one of my favourite speakers but DBLs are just miles better. Mind you, I like far-field listening. DBLs would never be good close up. All of the Naim speakers from that era, including the IBLs have magic in them, despite their flaws.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I think the reason I quite like SBLs is they do work well (at their best IMO) in the near to mid-field. I quite like the IBL too, though I think ultimately I prefer Kan IIs of that type of speaker.

14. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

In absolute terms, fair point. But surely this is all about context? I'm talking about an average living room.

The occasional recitals and chamber concerts I relish (or will when Macron lets me back in) take place in a private house: if the performers don't make the appropriate adjustment in volume a treat becomes a test of endurance.

15. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Salut David !
    You know, I was listening to big band music on my Quad panels (direct cut LP) and the sound pressure they offer is more than enough to make your ears bleed I find. And no sparks – they are OTA refurbished.
    I have a drum set in the same room and the sound is quite realistic: I can play along. No frustration at all.
    My other speakers are 95 dB sensitive and with a couple of watts it’s more than enough on most musics.
    With the Quads the average is about 10 to 20 watts.
    All that in a large room of 45 square metres.

16. tomek

tomek pfm Member

NS1000M with recapped crossover ...

17. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I want to hear some big horns before I die.

JTC likes this.
  18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I don’t understand how SBLs can be considered ugly; they are a very discreet design.

Old Shatterhand likes this.
  19. musicman56

musicman56 50 years hifi & vinyl junkie

When I was a teenager and didn't own any kit at all, I'd devour HiFi Answers and at the time, lusted after a pair of Wharfdale Lintons...but moving swiftly on, I suppose the only speaker I've always been curious about is the Linn Isobarik. Preferably on the end of a Naim 6-pack. I don't think I'd ever want to own a pair but just to hear them the once would end a lifetime of not knowing.

More to the point, I'd like to get to know some Spendor floorstanders - the A7 or D7. Would they be better than my trusty Keilidhs? Perhaps, but at 4-6K it's a big gamble.

20. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

They look very 80’s to me. My taste would lean toward something either newer or older. I’m not a fan of the era. :)