advertisement

Your loudspeaker holy grail

If money is no object, then I'd also like to try a pair of these ...

jbl%20200.jpg

Magico (and Radho) speakers really pique my interest, although if I had to roll the dice and commit to keeping them it’d probably be something like the D&D 8Cs.

When I bought my Arcs for £400 the guy selling them had another pair of speakers that were just an ordinary boxy thing but at the same price. I think I may have missed a trick there....

Not hugely original
Tannoy Westminster
Altec
Big blue jbl’ s
Avantgarde , ref
Tried a friends nicotine soaked ns1000, amazing ability to couple with room.
Esl 57, loved would ideally like a stacked pair with zotl amps. And a living room big enough to enjoy properly. Only sold as space limited.

Very happy where I am now. Not sure about 'holy grail' but being realistic any new speaker has to be small and/or make a statement either by design or reputation.

Probably some LS35A's.

I have no interest in fridge (or bigger) sized speakers.

I have no interest in fridge (or bigger) sized speakers.

Lots of big speakers in this thread most likely requiring BIG rooms to work in, I don't see the attraction myself as I prefer a more modest sized, dare I say cosy and comfortable room, though perhaps some of these bigger speakers work well in a smaller space.

Magico Ultimate III’s or the big Maggie’s would be interesting to listen to.
I’ve heard all my other aspirational speakers (MBL 101’s which I have, the 101 Extreme’s and the big Tannoys).

An easy question for me, because only omnis interest me and I now have my end-game speakers in the shape of Duevel Venuses. I am slightly curious about German Physiks; less so about MBLs because I could neither accommodate nor afford them (and find them hideously ugly anyway).

I do fancy a mono system with a Voigt Corner Horn and a WE205D valve amp... but I don't have an available corner (radiator, chimney, bay window, door...), so that remains just a fantasy!

Last edited:
Probably a pair of ATC SCM50ASL if I'm being realistic, with our house. I've heard a pair a couple of times and really liked them, I'd love to hear some SCM20ASLT too.
I'd love to say some bigger Tannoys than my Stirling TWWs but I can't really accommodate anything larger. I'd love to revisit Maggies but again, with kids on the way in the next year or so not really practical.

The SCM10 and Stirling TWWs are a good compromise at the moment.

There's lots of speakers that I would like to hear sometime, but that would never ever end in my room, even if I could afford them. One of them being the Wilson WAMM. They must sound very very good, but the size and looks... :(

Many, but the speakers I have always wanted to hear (and which I suspect I would love) are Avantgarde horns, probably the Trios….

Spent some time with Krell/Apogee (Divas IIRC), but was glad to return to my old Tannoy 15 reds in the end - they just sound like ‘real’ music to me. Suppose I’m used to them by now...
I would like to try the reds in different cabinets sometime, though - they’re still in their original Lancasters.

advertisement

Back