advertisement

Your loudspeaker holy grail

If James had to keep just one set of speakers would it be a commercial speaker one of his DIY designs?
In the context of my preferred amplifier (30W class A), I would keep the Yamaha NS-1000Ms. But I have a few more amplifier choices, so I keep three of my DIYs designs, and put them on rotation from time to time.

The Grateful Deads PA...

12717242_10153794804184333_664750667467785199_n_zpsmatlaga0.jpg

"Designed by renowned acid manufacturer Owsley Stanley..." :D:D:D

Did anyone here get to see the Grateful Dead? Curious to know if their monster PA was just brute-force/volume, or whether they actually sounded any good? Their music is pretty subtle in many ways, so I’ve always been curious how they presented it.

Did anyone here get to see the Grateful Dead? Curious to know if their monster PA was just brute-force/volume, or whether they actually sounded any good? Their music is pretty subtle in many ways, so I’ve always been curious how they presented it.

I attended about 75 shows from 1976 through 1981. A few outdoors, but mostly indoors at theaters and auditoriums. The Dead cared a lot about sound quality, so especially in the better venues, they sounded great. Missed the wall of sound though. It predated me by a couple of years.

My current fave is the Stirling LS3/5a V2, closely followed by Focal Aria 905, then probably Harbeth SLH5+

I think in the future I'll be investigating further down the BBC sound rabbit hole, with its many dark tunnels and side chambers.

advertisement

Back