Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your loudspeaker holy grail

Discussion in 'audio' started by James, May 26, 2021.

1. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

In the context of my preferred amplifier (30W class A), I would keep the Yamaha NS-1000Ms. But I have a few more amplifier choices, so I keep three of my DIYs designs, and put them on rotation from time to time.

darrenyeats and h.g. like this.
  2. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

"Designed by renowned acid manufacturer Owsley Stanley..." :D:D:D

Darmok likes this.
  3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Did anyone here get to see the Grateful Dead? Curious to know if their monster PA was just brute-force/volume, or whether they actually sounded any good? Their music is pretty subtle in many ways, so I’ve always been curious how they presented it.

4. Darmok

Darmok "Didactic Prophylaxes"

Grateful Dead ‘Dead Sound’ Audio Documentary Details Band’s Crucial Role In Evolution Of Concert Sound

https://www.jambase.com/article/dead-sound-grateful-dead-audio-documentary

Enjoy. ;)

cooky1257, Hook and Tony L like this.
  5. gordon

gordon formerly known as chainrule.

I saw the Dead in ‘85 at the Ventura (CA) county fairgrounds. But, it was the first and penultimate time I took acid, so I remember the drug more than the show, which was excellent when i was capable of experiencing it.

Fatmarley, jagdesign, Tony L and 4 others like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

I attended about 75 shows from 1976 through 1981. A few outdoors, but mostly indoors at theaters and auditoriums. The Dead cared a lot about sound quality, so especially in the better venues, they sounded great. Missed the wall of sound though. It predated me by a couple of years.

7. BigBlue2020

BigBlue2020 pfm Member

My current fave is the Stirling LS3/5a V2, closely followed by Focal Aria 905, then probably Harbeth SLH5+

I think in the future I'll be investigating further down the BBC sound rabbit hole, with its many dark tunnels and side chambers.

8. cnocmoy10

cnocmoy10 pfm Member

Wilson Sabrina for my small(ish) room. Ahhhh!