advertisement

Your loudspeaker holy grail

IkJiy2g.jpg

That starred in Flash Gordon didn't it?

My own ESL63s - bipolar cap replaced with big film bypassed with smaller bipolar, metal grilles gone, plastic dust covers gone, original thick socks replaced with thin, things lifted waaaay up off the floor.

They now exceed the 57s I also had and spent ages deciding which to keep. Yes, they need to be out in the room - but so what, they sound best like that :)

It’s got to be a pair of Bowers and Wilkins Nautilus. You don’t even need to turn them on, they are just good to look at !!

The holy grail. The obvious answer for me would require a lottery win, a larger room and the Chronosonics. I would settle for the Alexx 5 though! Yet there are so many other speakers out there, which if I were ever in a position to be acquiring the “ultimate” speakers, I would like to try out.

> Your loudspeaker holy grail?

As I continue to learn more about how loudspeakers work my DIY designs continue to improve.

As a youngster I lusted after some of the speakers mentioned earlier like the Yamaha NS1000, Gale GS401, huge transmission lines,... but as my knowledge grew about how loudspeakers worked it progressively diluted the emotional appeal of commercial designs. There is of course an emotional appeal for one's own designs so it isn't an apples to apples comparison. Today I like to listen to well engineered speakers that have a non-mainstream design aspect to help judge how the pros and cons pan out but for use in the home commercial speakers come second to DIY speakers.

If James had to keep just one set of speakers would it be a commercial speaker one of his DIY designs?

advertisement

Back