advertisement

Your loudspeaker holy grail

Having gone to omnis I'm struggling to remember. Certainly the Proacs and Kudoses that I had before could be magical... if you stayed in the right spot.

Omnis...no problem :)

You definitely need to factor-in my preference for near-field/mid-field listening. Basically the place I want to sit is just too close to the vast majority of big three-way speakers. As an example, much as I really like them, I’d hear a height difference between the treble, mid and bass ranges of the Ditton 66. Another maybe more extreme example is the typical Martin Logan hybrid ESL/MC where in effect you have a very large tall tweeter and the bass slumped on the floor (they actually crossover far higher than one initially expects, a lot of mid-bass comes out on the floor!). They are an amazing speaker in many ways, I’ve heard them sound absolutely stunning, but I could never block out the ‘that bit is up there, and that’s all down there’ aspect in a typical UK listening room.

PS I’m absolutely not criticising any of these speakers, they all have context, I’m merely explaining why I’m personally drawn to other approaches.
If you look at MEG or ATC 3-ways, in every case the driver spacings are closer or the crossover frequencies are lower (and often both!) compared to the Ditton 66. Still, the ATC mid covers as much ground as the Ditton's (about a decade). I'm a fan of big analogue active 3-ways.

I think I have reached where I want to be with my Magico S5, a wonderful sounding speaker (to my ears at least), I am also lucky enough to have a pair of Henk rebuilt Apogee Calipers - another superb sounding loudspeaker, they have different qualities to the Magicos, but are a captivating listen non the less.

What kind of man has no lust for speakers?

Dunno.

I had lust, purchased them, then lust for more stopped.

I tend to look at today and what I have already, rather than wasting time on what may or may not happen in the future. Or maybe I have reached a plateau, and need a catalyst to provoke change?

When the C-19 crisis allows pfm fish over here, then someone can tell me what is missing or easily improved, or not… If the speakers are a weak point, then I am always open to suggestions.
Also I may get the chance to hear something that takes my breath away at a fellow fishpond?

If you look at MEG or ATC 3-ways, in every case the driver spacings are closer or the crossover frequencies are lower (and often both!) compared to the Ditton 66. Still, the ATC mid covers as much ground as the Ditton's (about a decade). I'm a fan of big analogue active 3-ways.
In the Ditton 66 the distance from the centre of the MF to the centre of the HF is about 6 inches, this could have been reduced to 5.25 inches if they did away with the unnecessary tweeter mounting plate. I'm not sure how that compares to other 3-way designs. Getting the spacings even closer would require a major redesign of the MF driver because although its mounting plate looks ridiculously oversized it's actually only just slightly larger in diameter than the driver's chassis/magnet. I'd love to know the rationale behind a design like the Spendor SP100R that intentionally places the LF driver closer to the HF than the MF, I'm presuming they've gone for style over function here?

In the Ditton 66 the distance from the centre of the MF to the centre of the HF is about 6 inches, this could have been reduced to 5.25 inches if they did away with the unnecessary tweeter mounting plate.
It looks more like 7 inches to me? The ATC mid/HF gap with OLD tweeter is 5.25 inches, I guestimate 4 point something with new tweeter and baffle.

I'd love to know the rationale behind a design like the Spendor SP100R that intentionally places the LF driver closer to the HF than the MF, I'm presuming they've gone for style over function here?
That would be my guess.

I have no plans to ever change my speakers but, that said, I would very much like to hear:

- Yamaha GF-1
- Technics SB-10000
- Kenwood LS-1900
- KEF KM-1

I'd also like to hear another pair of B&W Nautilus. I heard them once but on the end of amplifiers that I absolutely detest, so I've no idea if they were any good or not!
How about Beolab 90s??

Speakers I would have liked to have heard but never did,

Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage
Sonus Faber Amati Homage
Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage

Currently I'd fancy a pair of Franco Serblin Accordo Essence, my recent experience with recent Sonus Fabers makes me think they're voiced differently since Franco Serblin departed from SF.

Maybe, but not for worse. A combination of Ktema and D"Agostino amp is certanly one of the best I have ever heard (and I'm not a sucker for this kind of speakers).

Back to topic - nothing produced in the last 50 years

- stacked 3 pairs of ESL57 with 21" subs (as per Mark Levinson)
- everything by Western Electric from before WWII
- Klangfilm Bionor or Euronor or anything else they produced during nazi era.

I really have no interest in modern product unless they somehow capture the old spirit.

On reflection, I'm lying. I would actually love to hear a proper Jean Hiraga design based speakers, could be simple Altec 604 with a Fostex tweeter or more complex Onken cab with Altec 416 or 515 bass and multicell horn on top. But Hiraga crossover, amps and tweaking obligatory, the guy has golden ears and his stuff made nearly 40 years ago has no right to sounds as good as is.

IkJiy2g.jpg

- stacked 3 pairs of ESL57 with 21" subs (as per Mark Levinson)
- everything by Western Electric from before WWII
- Klangfilm Bionor or Euronor or anything else they produced during nazi era.

I really have no interest in modern product unless they somehow capture the old spirit.

On reflection, I'm lying. I would actually love to hear a proper Jean Hiraga design based speakers, could be simple Altec 604 with a Fostex tweeter or more complex Onken cab with Altec 416 or 515 bass and multicell horn on top. But Hiraga crossover, amps and tweaking obligatory, the guy has golden ears and his stuff made nearly 40 years ago has no right to sounds as good as is.

That's a decent list of things I'd love to hear! maybe not to live with, but certainly - to appreciate.

When you say 'design axis' are you referring to the vertical axis of the speaker? And likewise when you refer to 'off-axis listening', are you again referring to the vertical axis or the horizontal axis or both?
The design axis is a straight line from a chosen point on the baffle out in any direction you wish, but it is usually perpendicular to a vertical baffle or aimed at something like a seated head. So to answer your question, it is both.

These sound interesting - anything more you can share about these (any photos?..)? Thanks
Sorry, I seem to have given you the impression that I have a definite pair in mind, when I was really describing a design of uncertain existance! Again: sealed box speakers that have the coherence, taut mid-bass, and similar frequency response and dimensions of JPW Sonatas - only with better construction and appearance. I take it you'd like something with a similar design brief, too?

Sorry, I seem to have given you the impression that I have a definite pair in mind, when I was really describing a design of uncertain existance! Again: sealed box speakers that have the coherence, taut mid-bass, and similar frequency response and dimensions of JPW Sonatas - only with better construction and appearance. I take it you'd like something with a similar design brief, too?

Ah I see, was hypothetical. I do absolutely feel that is a great design thought process.
I have modified some Sonatas in the past with better crossover components, lining the cabinet internals with bitumen sheets and damping the driver chassis, and also playing with wadding quantity and type. Made a good positive difference, but there's a limit with what can be achieved with such a budget speaker as a basis.
Totally agree though - nice solid, rigid sealed box, tight bass and a clean simple presentation. Like an uber-Sonata...

I am very patiently waiting on the arrival of a pair of AP Codex, manfred edition of course with the latest VCF feet. I bought these not as they were my Holy Grail….more as a result of the day I called to order my Holy Grail, AP Avantera III, they discontinued them…. Literally the same day. So I could take the last pair of Aventera in Gloss red, or go up to Cardeas….erm nope….or go Virgo….which was then also discontinued…. WTF. So….Codex it is. I hope they are good…mainly as my wife thinks they are my last speakers ever….

If budget allowed, and if they were less scarce than they are, I would probably have settled with a full System Max by ARS Acoustica in the main system. For the smaller office system, a pair of Evett & Shaw Elan monitors. Hardly comparante to the ARS Acoustica speakers in sheer scale and size, the tiny Evett & Shaw speakers imaged like I never heard before.

advertisement

Back