advertisement

Your Loudspeaker history...

Mordaunt Short Carnivals - c 1977 - still have these in the attic somewhere
Rega Ela- the least stable tripod support known to man - when our kids were young I had to stick painted wooden toy blocks under the front edge to stop them being knocked over!
Wharfedale Diamonds for a kitchen system
Shahinian Arc 1 - bought these second hand in the early noughties and still using them
Shahinian Compass - again a second hand buy - used in a second system
Rega RS1 - used in a new kitchen system but sold when we moved house - lively but bass-lite
Shahinian Larc - bought new after a house move - I hated the zebrano finish so I used some furniture paint to give them more of a farrow and ball look - still use these with an old Naim Uniti - excellent speakers

Probably repeating myself, but always an interesting thread
Early 70s Goodmans Ministers
Marsden Hall Annexe
1975 ish B & W DM2a
78 ish Acoustic Research AR7
79 Audiomaster Image 2...still in use, fabulous Robin Marshall design.
1995 Quad 10L
2006 B & W XT4..current speakers
2020 Neat Iota in second system
Possible next speakers this year B&W 804d3 or replacement models due soon

I'm nevr going to remember. Have i posted here already?

Hmmm
I made my first speakers in 1971. Wharfdale Unit 4 kits.
Kept them till '83 then bought Missions. I think, 770's. Blimey that was a change.
Quite rapidly (for me) after that.
Kit Wilmslow audio LS3 5a's (thingy type thing)
SD acoustics SD 3's
Snell type J 11's
Castle Harlechs
Focal 1007 be
Harbeth HL5's
Harb 5+ anniversary
and then I made cabs for some Tannoy 12" MG's
and that is where this story is now.

Updated list:

Celestion 3
Celestion 5
Spica TC-50 (2 pairs, one with upgraded xover)
Snell Type K
Snell Type KII
Snell Type JII
KEF B139 TL stereo “subs”
Reynaud Twin Mk. II
Rega Kyte
Spendor LS3/5A
Spica Angelus
Spica SC-30
Quad ESL57
Quad ESL63
Magnepan SMGa
Snell Type AII
NHT Superzero
NHT SuperOne 2.1
KEF LS50
Klipsch KG-1
Sonus Faber Concertino
Spica SC-50
Proac Super Tablette
Spendor LS3/5a (again)
Sound Artist LS3/5a clone/homage
KEF Reference 102
Vandersteen 1B
Reference 3A De Capo-i

Twins, Kytes, Type Js, and ESLs are gone but the rest remain. Went a bit hog-wild on stand-mounted monitors during lockdown.

Not sure I can remember now..

kef coda in the early 80’s
Linn Kans
Epos 14
Gale 301 (I think.. stand mount 8 inch woofer type speaker)
Epos es11
Neat motive 3
Neat Ministra

OK here goes
~ 1987 Mission 707
~ 1991 Linn Kan II
~ 1994 Linn Kaber passsive
~ 1996 Linn Kaber active
- 2000 Shahinian ARC

Still using the ARCs

Last edited:
Not sure of the years but

Kef Cantor II
Epos ES14 (for a lot of years) sold to friend and regret
Naim SBL Still have them
Shahainian Arc 1 Still have them
Kef LS 50 still have them
Shahinian Obs Mk 1
JPW mini monitors in the kitchen

Oooh, I like this post! Gives me a chance to try and remember and catalogue…..all stand-mounts and in no particular order:

Tannoy 605…..great
Tannoy R1……great
Linn Katan….rubbish (ear-splitting treble)
Avi Pro 9+….the sweetest treble I have ever heard on any speaker.
Dynaudio Audience 42…..only ok (uncouth and boomy)
Spendor s3/5…stunning…revamp of LS3/5
Spendor s3/5se…even more stunning!……far superior and sweeter treble to S3/5
Proac 1sc….3rd favourite speaker of all time, same treble unit as speaker above and the bass driver was amazing.
Dynaudio excite x18…great, required careful positioning though, fussy.
Dynaudio Emit M10..stunning for the money, errs on side of warmth, which is rare in a Dynaudio.
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary 2nd place speaker of all time…just amazing nearly as good as 1sc for fraction of price.
Harbeth PS3….amazing ls3/5 derivative but silly money (no better than the aforementioned Spendors)
ProAc Tablette signatures……treble shrill
Proac Response D1….treble shrill, again….(lament loss of the tweeter Proac used in 1Sc’s)
Graham Audio LS6 (favourite speaker of all time, great Bass yet still has that BBC warm sound)
Q Acoustic Concept 20….bargain price, bargain speaker….seriously impressive.
Spendor Sa1…..disappointing, not a balanced presentation like their S3/5’s ..too clinical.
Leema Xen….original versions…..wow, what a speaker….4th place, steel enclosure and just amazing nearfield reproduction.

….never owned a floorstander in my life, weird that!

Current ‘not going anywhere’ list to add to/update earlier posts:

Tannoy Monitor Gold 15” in Lockwood cabs (main system, no change)
JR149 rebuilt with Falcon units etc (nearfield system, no change)
Falcon LS3/5A (alternative to above, different enough to merit both options)
Spendor S3/5R (TV system)

kit speakers out of Wireless World (I think) Built age 13
Wharfedale Linton LINTON XP2
Cambridge Audio R50
Mission 700 (while at University)
Castle 7 mk2 (now ex Wife insisted I sell the Cambridge Audio R50s)
Naim SBL Walnut (driven both passive and Active with 2 NAP250s)
Yamaha NS1000M (re-veneered in Oak - lovely)
Impulse H2's (Still have in Lounge with the TV)
Innersound Isis (by Roger Sanders) - Hybrid ELS + Transmission Line - Driven active with DBX Venu 360
Adding some home build Ripole subs, will also be driven actively. 4x12" drivers.

In the room I have I am not sure I can get any better. Electrostatics are quick, pure, dynamic, the imaging and soundstage are stunning. The Transmission line bass integrates seamlessly. Just missing the feel of the last octave, hoping the Ripoles will give me that - when I finally finish them.

@davidismynaim I heard the Innersound Isis in the Michell room at a Hifi show, best sound of show for me that year, I'd honestly forgot about them until I read your post but they definitely could have been a 'Holy Grail' speaker (wrong thread) for me or perhaps the Eros, did you ever hear a pair of them?

@davidismynaim I heard the Innersound Isis in the Michell room at a Hifi show, best sound of show for me that year, I'd honestly forgot about them until I read your post but they definitely could have been a 'Holy Grail' speaker (wrong thread) for me or perhaps the Eros, did you ever hear a pair of them?
Never heard the Eros. For me Holy Grail would be Roger's 10e speakers, but would need a bigger room and more money. The Isis were sold as passives, but with Roger's help I am running them Actively, so have the panels operating down to 230Hz - compared to 900Hz I think when passive. They sound fabulous. I am driving the panels with Rogers Sanders ELS Mk2 power amplifier, designed to drive electrostatic panels with difficult loads. I think they may even represent 0.5 Ohm at certain points. Also the DSP crossover and PEQ places some significant demands, with an 18db lift to compensate for phase related aspects lower down the frequency range. I have a gyrodec, so wish I had been at that show. What year was that, do you remember?

It must have been late 90's or early 00's, John was using his stereo Alecto to drive the the Isis, I asked him why not the Alecto monos, he said he preferred the Stereo amp, he also said the Isis were the first speaker to best his ESL63's.

Edit* it was 1999 @davidismynaim

My father had an early pair of 63's, never heard them do what the innersounds can do. Mind you, he never had them in the right place in the room, so they were compromised. But the Innersounds are wonderfully dynamic for electostats, with the benefit of the transmission line bass too.

Unlike some, my loudspeaker change rate is inversely proportional to my socks change rate:

Wharfedale Active Diamonds
Royd A7-II
Rega Ela half-fluted with the Royd drivers

Tried a pair of Spendor S5e but didn't like them so sold them on and kept my Elas, and will probably keep them for another 27 years at this rate.

Thanks for the question, answering it brought back find memories.

Leak 2030s - Thought they were great at the time but heard them again recently and was not impressed.
Castle Richmond - Great little speakers but the woofer suspension foam turned to dust after about 15 years.
Naim Intro - Moved away from a Naim electronics and sold the speakers at the same time.
Ruark Crusaders - Really solid bass.
Castle Howards - Even better bass.
Quad ESL 63s - good but nothing special in my room.
Dynaudio Contour 1.3s - Great speakers, don't know why I sold them.
Usher B718 Tiny Dancers - Probably the best speakers I had owned up until this point but so ugly.
Bang & Olufsen Beolab 9s (active) - Fantastic, best speaker I have owned and will take something special to beat them.

Ok, here goes:
Wharfedale Glendale xp2 (First proper speakers - was expecting more from the 10" bass units)
Castle Richmond 2 (Junk shop find - sounded great - a big improvement on the Glendales)
Heybrook HB1 (Kept these a long time - lively, maybe too lively with contemporary CD players)
B&W 602 s3 (Needed the foam bungs in to keep the bass in line - Good speakers though, a mate has my pair now)
Naim SBL (Good though - dunno - restrained maybe? Not sure of the right description - better active)
Linn Kan (Early Mk1s, used With EQ. Fun returns - great with all (well most) music - at times they just disappear)
Yamaha NS1000 (Great midrange but upper bass is totally opaque - maybe too big for my room)
Ergo IX (Work in progress - more bass weight than Kans but something not quite right in the midrange at the moment. I have new crossovers to build for these)
So currently back to the Mk1 Kans though I've just picked up some Mk2 Kans for comparison - haven't listened properly to these yet.

I still haven't found a speaker that does it all:
Upper bass/lower mid clarity of Kans (with EQ) - so good for following what the bass player is doing
Upper mid of NS1000s - Bite of orchestral strings
Some extra lower bass would be nice but not too much.
Need to be lively at low volumes like the Kans (and the Heybrooks HB1s)
Any suggestions welcome...

A few others have been tried out in the relatively recent past:
Rega Kyte
Linn Index
Royd Minstral
Shahinian Super Elf
Another pair of Heybrook HB1s for nostalgia.

advertisement

Back