Your loudspeaker history...?

Mines probably only a morning session for some of the previous posters
1978 to now
Marantz 4G
Bose Studiocraft 220
Linn Isobarik
On my second pair bought in 1991
In full aktiv mode

well, I like(d) the Royd RR2s the best, close seconds are the Audio Physic 3i JLEs (only a much larger room indicated the swap), and the 3rd place goes to the JBL 4412s (don't be fooled by them being studio monitors, they were just amazing as audiophile speakers on all genres). what really was a disappointment, however, were the Harbeth HL-Compact 7ES MkIIs> lifeless (as opposed to dynamic) and an overall uninvolving sound with pretty blind tone colours...
indeed, Ive heard the 4412 at my Dad's. lovely, but the tweeter is a bit unrefined no?

Haybrook HB1 - Keilidh Active - Akurate 121's active - Now the best speakers I have owned and will never change Zingali Horn speakers no crossover very easy to drive even at low volume.

From 1968
Wharfedale 8" RS/DD in home made cabinet.
Kefkit 3 in home made cabinet
Monitor Audio MA3
Nightingale point 5
Yamaha NS1000M (still own these, they are in my bedroom)
Sonus Faber Extrema
Apogee Diva active
Goldmund Epilog 1&2 still in use
Tune Audio Anima still in use

I had Goodmans LS3/5a in my office.

well, if it helps on the numbers or you I can declare myself being a she - LOL :D
Thanks Coltrane. I was wondering if anyone would reply lol! You have a good idea there. If a few of us said we were female then we might be able to attract a few more lady members

1978 to now
Marantz 4G
Bose Studiocraft 220
Linn Isobarik
In full aktiv mode

Commandebly few, culletman!

I won't bore you with the dozen or so speakers I've gone through since 1978, only that my first set, Chartwell LS3/5a still is in daily use. I could have skipped most of the eleven other ones...

I won't bore you with the dozen or so speakers I've gone through since 1978, only that my first set, Chartwell LS3/5a still is in daily use. I could have skipped most of the eleven other ones...

I still have some Chartwell LS3/5a of similar Vintage.

1978 to now
Marantz 4G
Bose Studiocraft 220
Linn Isobarik
In full aktiv mode

What was the Marantz 4G like? I nearly bought a pair in 1976 (I think) but in the end went for the Celef Domestics which were only a little more expensive I think.

Mordaunt Short 442
Royd Prior
Mission 752
Royd Abbott
Ruark Accolade
Royd Doublet (x2)
Royd Minstrel (x2)

Missed the first 2 the most

Hi RJohan
i didn't intend to keep the isobariks so long but not heard another speaker that makes me want to buy it, the newer Linn speakers are not for me. I will be going to the Acoustica show, looking forward to listening to ATC, Kudos, Dynaudio and Spendor

What was the Marantz 4G like? I nearly bought a pair in 1976 (I think) but in the end went for the Celef Domestics which were only a little more expensive I think.
Its that long since i cannot remember, i didn't keep them that long it was my first hifi, bought along with a JVC turntable and Jas 22 amp which had good reviews,

I've owned many, many (too bloody many my wife say) speakers trying to settle on a pair that was just right. The Boenicke W5SE I have at present seem to tick all the right boxes and I cannot imagine changing them.

My speaker history in no particular order:

Proac SM100
Living Voice OBX R2
Living Voice OBX RW
Wharfedale Denton
Harbeth HLP3ES
Harbeth P3ESR
Harbeth Compact 7
Harbeth Super HL5
Harbeth Monitor 30.1
Sonus Faber Cremona
Opera Seconda
Gamut L3
Jas Audio Orior
Tannoy Revolution R2
Kef Q35
Mordaunt Short MS20i
Linn Majik 140
Totem Model 1
JM Reynaud (can't remember the model name)
Sonus Faber Grand Piano
B&W 686
PMC DB1

There's probably half a dozen others I cannot remember.

Speakers are a far simpler proposition if you have a den/music room as it takes away the WAF. The modern trend for open plan family rooms kills this option. I only live a relatively modest semi but have managed to keep two separate rooms downstairs while extending out the back. Whenever we have visitors the women generally go, "love your kitchen but why didn't you take this wall out & open up the whole space", the blokes? They look wistfully at my little den, the neatly filed records & CD's, various bits of music related ephemera & a tiny tear trickles down their cheek;)

Goodmans Minister
Sony ?? can't remember the model number but had SEAS drives and were made in Germany
Mordaunt Short MS55
Linn Index mk 1
Linn Kans
Castle Severn II
Linn Keilidh
Tannoy Turnberry SE

advertisement

Back