advertisement

Your loudspeaker history...?

maybe this thread should be which ones you havent had?

:D well my excuse its being through many different rooms from University digs, post Uni Rental houses until I bought my flat it slowed a little (although a few more DIY excursions and being single I had some fun trying stuff!) and now since buying a larger house with my Wife its pretty settled!

Since we moved to the house ~2-years ago I've only had the KEF 201/2 come and go, the Rega R9s, Frugelhorn Lite (DIY), Veravox (DIY) and Supravox (DIY) are all still here around the house or on long term loan with friends/family.
I don't count the Neat Petite III really, they were a impulse purchase and do-them-up project and very quickly sold them, not a fan!

With electronics, I've had my DIY Decware Zen for around 6-years now, the Sony DVP-S9000ES CDP 7-Years and the Rega P9 ~3-years!

A pictorial history here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hoopsontoast/albums/72157628426948849/page1

I always enjoy hearing about speaker history. Some really interesting ones here. I'm keen to hear the Dutch & Dutch speakers. Here's mine (at least what I can remember).
Hitachi Speakers (no idea what model as they came with a music centre)
Aiwa speakers (they came with my sisters music centre and we decided to swap)
Wharfedale Diamonds: No bass but better than nothing. Almost.
Goodmans Magnum 3. Lots of bass. Not really hifi. I had their smaller brother as well (can't remember model). Used to run them all together at parties until I blew the smaller pair up. Still own these - they are in someone's attic.
MS55TI - ok ish at low volumes. Caused my amp to cut out when they got loud - which back in the day was often
Rogers LS7 - OK but no top end. Bit boring for a bass head like me.
Wharfedale - can't remember the name. They were similar size box to the Rogers but had their own attached stands. They had a ceramic tweeter and the crossover was built into the bottom of the stand. Rave reviews - I got them cheap and didn't listen to them. I should have. Dull.
Celestion A3 - Again rave reviews in the press, but I couldn't get them to sound right.
Pro-Ac Response 4. I learnt my lesson here by giving them a good audition. Got them second hand and they almost killed me getting them home in my mates Focus estate. The first speaker I've ever been truly happy with. Awesome bass, midrange and so easy to listen to. Had to move them due to house move and wife moaning. I sort of had to agree that they were too big for the room. I still miss them.
B&W 800D2. For 5% of the time with certain music they were amazing. However the other 95% of the time was the problem.
Current: ATC 150 active tower with anniversary pack. + It's like the band is in the room with you - You don't always want the band in the room with you.
Art Alnico Signature: I'd say that the ATC's are more accurate and have more presence - but these are a lot of fun and you can listen to them all day long.

Subs
REL Stentor Mk1 - ran it with the Pro Ac's. Not bad. Added a nice bit of warmth to CD's.
B&W ASW850 - I run this with the Art's. Adds some head banging fun to dance and rock.
Monitor Audio PLW215i - I run this with the ATC's. Despite what I initially thought ATC's would sound like they are not bass monsters unless they are playing loud. Very clean sounding sub. Loads of headroom - never got it anywhere near max.
As mentioned above, I'm interested in hearing the 8C's to see how they compare and if ultimately they make listening an enjoyable experience.

well, briefly - main system over last 38 yrs:

Kef Coda 2
Linn Kan Mk1
Linn Sara 9
Naim SBL
Avalon Arcus
Avalon Opus
Rockport Avior

and on an equally entertaining parallel over the last few years:

AR18s
Tannoy Mercury Mk1s
Omar Wendover & Winchester
Wharfdale Diamond 9.0
Quad ESL 57

and very recently, thrilled with these, and always wanted, Gale 401 (&402) being refurbished now.

Last edited:
1980 Altus something big
1986 JVC something big
1991 Axton AX-80 diy
1996 L'Audiophile Le Petit with Fostex Fe 105 Sigma diy
2001 Epos M15
2006 Spendor SP 2/3
2017 Yamaha NS-690 II
2018 Yamaha NS-1000M

41 years later.
Ram100
Royd Eden (still used in second system)
Naim Intro2
Naim Allae
Naim n-Sat
Kudos C10
Kudos Super10
PMC Twenty 23
Russell K100 (At last a speaker that suits my room perfectly)

AR94
Linn Nexus
Sonus Faber Concerto
Ergo I
Ergo II
Ergo III
Ergo IV
Ergo V
PFM-Special (a.k.a. Ergo VI)
Ergo VII
Ergo VIII
Ergo IX
Ergo X
Ergo IIIR
Yamaha NS-1000M

It’s a fairly brief history.

Heybrook HB1
Linn Keilidh
Naim SBL
Monitor Audio PL300
Wilson Audio Sasha

Unless I win the lottery, the Sasha’s are in for the long run, ticking all the boxes for me complete with the surprising waf.

I'm assuming that you guys who can't pass a hifi shop without popping in to buy a pair of speakers don't buy other gear in such large quantities? Anybody been through 40 amps?

B&W 601
Audio note E (we’ll over rated)
Triangle range right up to the Quatuors (superb and regret selling them)
B&W 800D2 (technically superb just no soul)
Revel Salon 2’s (up there with the best conventional box speakers made) - I still have them
Living Voice Air Partners (err every other speaker I’ve heard just sounds wrong)

This has proved to be a very diverting thread, love the way people go through a familiar patter only to go in a totally different direction at the end

This has proved to be a very diverting thread, love the way people go through a familiar patter only to go in a totally different direction at the end
Yeah, I started with an acoustic suspension loudspeaker (AR94) before a short series of bass reflex designs. The last 11 are all sealed, and rightly so.

1985: JB Studio 3A
1987: KEF RS104/2
2001: Infinity Infinitesimal (ideal with toddlers)
2010: Proac Response D1 (now in 2nd system)
2015: Spendor D7 (as happy as in 1987)

Misson m77

Proac studio 110

Atc scm 40

Omega ts2

Anthony gallo ref 3 *

Atc scm 7

Audio an-e *

Ref3a Veena

Cain and cain super Abby

Totem Forrest

Totem arro *

Art stiletto

Totem staff

Leema xone

Wlm la scala *

Art emotion monitor *

Impulse lali *

Lowther bicor 200

Aurousal vivide

Nbien nx6-t

Living voice ibx r2 *

Zu soul superfly

Odeon Rigoletto *

Mark and Daniel topaz

Frugalhorn 3

Frugalhorn XL (Current)

I think that’s the lot. Asterisk = would own again.

Thought I would add my list to this interesting post all bought secondhand and inexpensive and not necessarily in order as over the last 45 years.
Kef 104 AB
AR3a improved
JR 149 - never rated these
Quad 57's - loved these wish I still had the room for them
Gale 301
Celestion SL6s
AR 7x - thought these were a great small speaker wish I had kept when foam's went
Naim SBL- enjoyable but ugly in black
Kef 104/2
Linn Kaber with Kustone stands - bright tweeters to my ears
Meridan A500 - didn't suit room.
Royd Minstrels
Naim IBL- very enjoyable
Genexa LX5 - loved the linaeum tweeter
John Chapman JC 1- akin to linn kans ?

All were driven by Quad 303,405,405-2 or Naim 32.5/160 bolt down (current amp)

advertisement

Back