advertisement

Your Latest Tweak

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
Mine? Felt pads. That's right, felt pads. I put felt pads under my Tannoys and bam, they've never sounded so good.

For context, they were sitting on Mana at phase 4 with glass (a recent development itself) and although I was getting lots of incredible sounding good stuff, I lost all sense of depth, projection and listener involvement in the process - what Mana giveth on the one hand it taketh away on the other, in this case, depth, projection and listener involvement. Seriously, it was like the entire sound stage had jumped onto the wall behind and was holding on for dear life. There was absolutely no depth or projection whatsoever, which resulted in a huge drop in terms of listener involvement.

But once I put some felt pads under my speakers, you know, the ones you can pick up in a poundshop for a quid or so, that sense of depth, projection and listener involvement returned in spades. So there you go, thanks to those eight small felt pads I'm getting all that good stuff which Mana normally giveth, along with the good stuff which Mana normally taketh away :)

i am not sure what counts as a tweak...
Morgana XLRs for the 300DR?
Changing box order to make room for the soon-to-arrive Radikal (it's bigger than a Lingo) and moving Supercap to be further away from Superline phono stage and 52 preamp?
Putting Gaia IIs under my B&Ws?
Changing speaker position and toe-in a bit after fitting same?
Fiddling with cables in an attempt to get less Burndy contact with floor and wall?
Checking that music sounds worse if the mains radial that powers the Naim boxes also powers the turntable PS?
Removing the Sorbothane spacers from between the layers of the SRM isolation platform?

Exercising every contact on my A&R A60 the other day. It cleared up a channel imbalance that had kept the amplifier out of the system. Such a delight to have it driving my LS3/5as properly! :)

I haven’t got on with felt feet under my speakers. Three small clear plastic feet with a tiny bit of give in them work much better for clarity, coherence, & imaging here.

Got room correction working in LMS thanks to hard working hacks. Made some adjustments measured up earlier and got a good result. Fixing the acoustics is the best tweak.

Replaced the original boards in my NAP 110 with some Phoenix V3 : brought the amp to a total other level of performance.
All done without any soldering and within 1 1/2 hour.

My latest tweak is to levitate the platter of my Lenco with a pair of opposing magnets. I bought the magnets five years ago after reading a thread on the LH forum. I found them in a drawer last week so I thought I’d better get on with it :oops: I just have to shim the lower magnet to get the platter height where I want it and I can start listening :)

I thought felt pads on glass was a known tweak,
was it Marigo or Shun Mook that advocated and made these tuning pads back in the 80's or 90's?,
glad it's worked for you op.

I thought felt pads on glass was a known tweak,
was it Marigo or Shun Mook that advocated and made these tuning pads back in the 80's or 90's?,
glad it's worked for you op.

I only heard of using felt pads after someone posted a video in the 'become a better listener' thread. At least I know now.

I only heard of using felt pads after someone posted a video in the 'become a better listener' thread. At least I know now.
There was a lot of weird sh*t touted about back then, sticking dots on your walls etc,
but I did fell for the cable burner contraption, used it twice, went back in its box and forgotten about.

Putting Gaia IIs under my B&Ws?

Gaias under my Grahams. An indispensable tweak for the speakers.

IMG-20221118-164244.jpg

advertisement

Back