advertisement

Your interesting pictures

Well I got my 28-85 AF nikkor today. Very pleased with it so far, I just wish the damn sun would come out, just for an hour!

The macro seems nicer as well, the fact that its on the barrel means I can use what ever setting I wish ont he camera which is handy.

The down side is although it auto focuses and seems to meter, all the pictures came out far to bright in general outdoors. But indoors it seems to meter fine.

Would this be expected?

The lens does have a few bits of dirt inside which does not appear on the images, I don't suppose that it would, but just for perfection is it possible to get lenses cleaned inside anywhere?

One other thing, the lens has a bit of smearing on it, this was all mentioned in the auction, but I wonder if there is anyway to get it off, or is it permanent?

Taken today with my newly acquired lens.

My .Mac runs out real soon so this will probably be gone hehe.

cart.jpg

Gary, was that hand held? Do you have a tripod?
If you want any critisism (tell me if im out of line here), my personal preference would be a little but more DOF to show the complete cartridge with the arm going OOF.
The smearing on the lens, is it on the outside of the glass? If so I have had fair success with Jessops lens pens in removing such marks.

Hi, I agree, I get this with a larger aperture I think?

I am just playing at the moment and the iBook is not the best tool for any kind of idea what the picture is actually like haha.

Yep, a larger F number (smaller apeture) would give more DOF, its worth taking a few shots of the same subject and try a few stops either side, then see what you get and what you like. Thats one way i learnt about apeture. Digital is a dream for this!

It can be a real pain showing pictures, what may look good on my monitor might looks pants on yours, or your printer etc. There are ways of calibrating monitors and printers, but the idiot proof ways (what i need) are not that cheap.

Are you fairly new to SLR's and that type of photography?
I hope im not teaching you about eggs and sucking, but a good book about exposure and general rules of thumb is - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...256175/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/203-7744074-8860713
I got that last august, it helped me immensly. Also helped me to get the pictures i posted a few pages back.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have been messing for years but this is the first camera where I can change lenses, the result being I have picked up old ones which need me to meter!

So yes sort of new, although I do have a very rought understanding of aperture and shutter.

I just sold my mac with 23 inch monitor, every picture looked great on that, I miss it right now, sigh.

I was recommended Digital SLR Masterclass by Andy Rouse, which I have just ordered.

This is where ebay seriously comes to the rescue I have picked up 3 lenses, all old and all cheap. If I really get on with them and know I will find use for a super Zoom etc, then I will save for a better one, but right now in the uk there are like 4000 nikon mounts lenses, where else would you go eh?

Great stuff.

It is very good for that, I use canon and there are quite a few s/h deals. Got a 50mm F1.8 for 45 notes, a gem.
I'm after a longer lens for airshows, but that may have to wait a while longer.

I imagine Salisbury has some great photo opertunities?
Bristol is good, it can be fun urban sniping with an SLR.

I am not up on Urban.

I live in a village outside of Andover with plenty of walks but not much in the way of full scale scenery, however there are so many places to go round here. I feel a bit of a berk with a camera in town, although I never feel this way on holiday, most odd!

Sorry, for some reason i thought you were in Salisbury.
I know what you mean about walking around with it, round here it is asking to get mugged.

I am from Salisbury, born in Salisbury and am not far from Salisbury ;)

I try not to go into Andover if I can possibly help it lol.

Gary,

Andover is not on my list of lovely country towns...although I'll use the ring road if I have to.

Andy Rouse is very good. He has twice spoken on wildlife photography at symposiums for deer stalkers that I helped organise; very entertaining and some outstanding pictures.

I'm still learning about digi photography...using a Panasonic DMC Fz 10 which has a useful 12 optical zoom. Hope to move up to a EOS 350D or 20D soon. I do lots of photos of deer on Salisbury Plain.....some turn out quite good !

advertisement

Back