I have the following:

Source: QED Uplay Stream & WIN7 PC running a DLNA server
Amps: Naim NAC62/HiCap/250
Speakers: Naim Intros

Ideal "good enough" would be.

Source: QED uPlay Stream
Amps: Naim 82/HiCap/140 or 250
Speaker: Naim SL2 or IBLs

Thx all for the support... I'm a mess but I'm nothing special, you have ahouse fall on you and you expect some collateral mental dekarmafication....

so, anyway

This is where its at
looks like shit, it really needs a case (on its way) needs a WiFi dongle (on its way)

But... it works out of the box, its jacked into ATC100s like i did with the FiiO D3 but this has both hardware and software volume control options.

RaspPi/HifiBerry DAC and Volumio Linux OS plays from 16/44.1 up to 24/192 DSD and all bit perfect. This is where I went after I amassed enough FLACs to require moving from an Apple Airport Express. Its early days but wow... wow wow wow wow

£80 for a tidy little wireless streamer, ignore the scary text stuff, thats under the hood. It uses a slick minimal uncluttered web interface. Stick a USB or SSD drive in the USB port and/or stream for a NAS wired or Wireless, plays Airplay Too, so Spotify gets a look in too. It will suit my "invisible all the things" ethic.

12368946643_7a3001071e_c.jpg

Ping Ponging between Benchmark DAC1 and my Symphony i/o multichannel DAC and the DACs built into my mixing desk...

Pfffff. Its not worth losing sleep over.

My system would be:

Magnaplaner 2.5
AVI lab series integrated
401/Jelco/AT33PTG
MF XLPS/ MF power supply
B&O 3500 cd player (soon to be AAA5)
Sonos ZP 80
A couple of NAS

In fact I have just finished putting them all together. To be fair my main system cost about the same.

I take my system as being good enough when I cannot read a book while it is playing at moderate levels as the system demands 100% of my attention. This can be achieved for pretty modest outlay. I have had to deliberately sabotage/downgrade my el cheapo office rig as I was getting nothing done.

I would like to add that the all-in-one and relatively "new" Yamaha R-N500 is likely to be good enough - take a look at it and you might see why.

I own the CD-N500 and think it sounds excellent, but do not own the R-N500 - but the R-N500 on its own might do the trick for some (with suitable loudspeakers of course).

The R-N500 is built for SQ yet has all the conveniences built in for streaming etc - and it's a good looking box too which all helps add to the appeal of "good enough" I think.

I am seriously considering adding the R-N500 to the CD-N500, but that would be like putting two streamers together, however it will all work fine - and that nice little Yamaha iPhone and Android App will give me a 'true' volume control for my somewhat different approach to this multi-tiered streaming solution.

Thx all for the support... I'm a mess but I'm nothing special, you have ahouse fall on you and you expect some collateral mental dekarmafication....

so, anyway

This is where its at
looks like shit, it really needs a case (on its way) needs a WiFi dongle (on its way)

But... it works out of the box, its jacked into ATC100s like i did with the FiiO D3 but this has both hardware and software volume control options.

RaspPi/HifiBerry DAC and Volumio Linux OS plays from 16/44.1 up to 24/192 DSD and all bit perfect. This is where I went after I amassed enough FLACs to require moving from an Apple Airport Express. Its early days but wow... wow wow wow wow

£80 for a tidy little wireless streamer, ignore the scary text stuff, thats under the hood. It uses a slick minimal uncluttered web interface. Stick a USB or SSD drive in the USB port and/or stream for a NAS wired or Wireless, plays Airplay Too, so Spotify gets a look in too. It will suit my "invisible all the things" ethic.

12368946643_7a3001071e_c.jpg

Ping Ponging between Benchmark DAC1 and my Symphony i/o multichannel DAC and the DACs built into my mixing desk...

Pfffff. Its not worth losing sleep over.

What's the daughter board on the Pi for?

Been spending a few days with it and its a keeper. Sound quality is absolutely superb, jacked into stereo ATC100s... the line output is clean, hiss free and not at all hard or thin and the HiFiberry has a very detailed sounding but easy to listen to presentation. Left/right differentiation is about as good as it gets and with old jazz recordings it has that "up close and personal" sound that you only normally hear on very very very expensive CD player and Transport/DAC combos. Bass definition is ridiculous. I have also reserved myself the version of the DAC with a SPDIF output to route into my more expensive esoteric studio DACs but frankly developments with single chip solutions have reached a point where the analog output SNR and THD outstrips my ability to hear anything "wrong" going on with my own material.

I toyed with an esoteric badged HiFi streamer built into a fancy milled ally case but I don't think I will bother and I will stay put and get my own casework machined. I like that the Volumio UI is bare essentials stripped back and undistracting, but it can also be controlled by any mpd-compatible app Mpad being one of them.... It's only going to get better.

3W power consumption too, everyone's a winner here.

advertisement

Back