advertisement

Your hifi reflections and pearls

But I keep reading tone controls are evil and you're supposed to fix things with designer cables. What gives?
That was the UK HiFi Mags spin when I was a kid in the 80’s getting into music and hifi gear, source first obvs the LP12 was in there asap, a hair shirt amp no tome/balance controls with cheapo speakers. These days I've no probs using an amp with tone/balance/dsp/filters.

(flame suit on ..)

Stop stressing about hifi. Buy a set of air-pods, a second hand iPhone, and a subscription to Spotify - then listen to loads more different types of music. And stay away from hifi-forums.
You'll end up much more chilled :)

Good thread with some very interesting posts.

I would say find a dealer (or two) who you like, who understands your preferences and priorities, and can provide quality support if/when things go wrong.

If successful, then reward great advice and service with additional purchases as needed.

My hifi advice to myself:
* Forget small speakers - you don't like them
* It's OK to enjoy the kit as much as the music
* if it pleases you nothing else matters
* if you can't afford to buy it twice, you can't afford it.
* if you are having fun, you are getting it right. Screw everyone else.

Last edited:
Good thread with some very interesting posts.

I would say find a dealer (or two) who you like, who understands your preferences and priorities, and can provide quality support if/when things go wrong.

If successful, then reward great advice and service with additional purchases as needed.
Rare now.

To my young impulsive self,
Keep the faith just buy vinyl
Valves are good,
Old don’t mean bad
Don’t be a box swapper
Learn diy electrical basics (learn to solder)
Find a good dealer with similar music tastes
See as many live bands as you can
Don’t sell that unused grease bearing Garrard you find in a boot sale for a tenner.

- Beg, borrow or steal to get your own house as quickly as possible. Being able to play LOUD is major.
- Do buy those JBL L100's that was on sale in 1978.
- Don't buy those LS3/5a's. They can't go loud.
- Don't waste time and money on exotic carts while you have a crap turntable.
- Buy all direct cut records you can get hold of while they are new.
- Buy more early, non loudness war mastered, CD's.
- DON'T use Permostat on your records, they will be destroyed!!!

- Remember the right things you did, like when you bought JBL 4331's in 2008!

Just one:

- just buy that NOS Marantz TT 1000 you can get for GBP300 (in ~1998), you'll find the tonearm or a way to fit a tonearm. Actually buy both of the TT1000 you can get.

advertisement

Back