advertisement

Your hifi reflections and pearls

- keep it neutral(ish)
- don't go mad for detail
- don't go mad with power
- if it looks nice it helps
- always buy the vinyl copy

….to my younger self; steer clear of CD..you will chase your tail (and spend a fortune) trying to get it to sound like vinyl!! My most costly HiFi mistake by a country mile, CD player after CD player, then SACD too!….

To be fair, I hadn’t realised my subconscious was telling me CD didn’t sound quite right?…..I guess my hearing was programmed by my first exposure to sound reproduction and my demographic in the 70’s was, vinyl all the way…lol!
Only when I listened to vinyl again, some 25 years later, did the penny drop as to the futility of my digital HiFi quest……….Been content ever since with my Hifi, fronted by a record player, of course!

Not too much. Maybe I'd sell less and tweak more. That TD 150 was promising, but mostly, back when Tannoy (like many others) sold drivers for home DIY speaker kits I would/should quite deff have bought some 15" reds and NOT saved a few bob with Wharefdale's unit 4 kits instead.

Not too much. Maybe I'd sell less and tweak more. That TD 150 was promising, but mostly, back when Tannoy (like many others) sold drivers for home DIY speaker kits I would/should quite deff have bought some 15" reds and NOT saved a few bob with Wharefdale's unit 4 kits instead.

I had the TOTR Unit 5's. They actually sounded surprisingly good. I wish I hadn't given them to my good mate Tony (who's untimely death from Astrazenaca jab I reported a few weeks back. RIP)... he was such a stickler for everything being "right" and "bog standard as the factory made it" that although a collector of such things as vintage Wharfedale's the simple fact they were a kit built speaker (and had been very well made by the constructor BTW) meant to him they were "not pukka gen" and so no matter how good they sounded and how well made they were they had to go.... he scrapped them about 4 months after I gave them to him! If I'd known he was going to do that I wouldn't have given them to him!

They were the kit of the Dovedale model. 12" woofer, about 4" paper midrange and that pretty awful purple dome tweeter (not the fried egg one. Proper dome) in sealed cabinet. The instructions allowed for two different cabinet volumes and the maker had gone for the larger, bigger than standard Dovedale, option.

For you, is HiFi about the journey or about the destination? Re-evaluate your position every now and then and adapt if your objectives have changed.

My younger self was pretty smart. 1970 to 1974 I built up from nothing to an all new Garrard 401 with ADC cart, Kenwood Trio Tuner Quad 33 303 ESL system. My only mistakes were in believing the then current magazine conceit about Shure V15s and AR3as. Awful things.

Music is by far most important of course.

advertisement

Back