advertisement

Your headphone recommendations, if you wouldn't mind...

guey

pfm Member
Up to £150, to be powered by a Benchmark DAC2 HGC.

I'm tempted by the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, as I like my partner's DT770 Pros.
I think I'd prefer open back, and circumaural - but could be swayed if your suggestions are both comfortable and neutral sounding (however one judges that).

Up to £150, to be powered by a Benchmark DAC2 HGC.

I'm tempted by the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, as I like my partner's DT770 Pros.
I think I'd prefer open back, and circumaural - but could be swayed if your suggestions are both comfortable and neutral sounding (however one judges that).
I had the DT990 on home demo, alongside AKG K240 and despite my taste in "bassy" sound (had very cheap Superlux that looked like DT660), I couldn't keep the DT990 phones - at first impression, they had a very "crisp" sound, a sort of "impressive" sound, but the kind that you get by turning the bass and treble tone controls all the way up. They seemed very un-naturally trying very hard to "impress", causing fatigue after first few minutes of listening.

Now there are people, who swear by them, and I can totally understand that. Just .. try before you buy, especially with these. :)

PS: Yes, I had the "old" black Pro version on demo, not the low-impedance 2005 (?) variants.

I've demoed quite a few over the last few months, right up to Sennheiser HD800's and keep coming back to the HD600's. Easy to pick up a second hand pair for under £150. Saying that, they didn't perform at this level until I partnered with a Lehmann Linear amp.

another vote for HD600's. I will always own a pair. They're probably my favorite single piece of audio gear.

Up to £150,
I think I'd prefer open back,

Even the Beyers DT 150 or DT 250 are closed types, IMO they walk over 770/880/990
DT150 are pig ugly but that sound is good
The DT250 more tight to ear both among my favorites, very fair priced too
they need a good amp thou

another vote for HD600's. I will always own a pair. They're probably my favorite single piece of audio gear.

I was about to say something similar.

Went through a stage of trying all sorts of headphones, but HD600 were, and still are just 'right' to my ears. If I buy headphones now it's in the full knowledge that they will be a side-show.

I think amp pairing is important to get the most out of them - I recently bought a Bottlehead Crack specifically for the job. Haven't tried it yet - needs building!

N

HD600s and DT990pros are close in absolute performance with slightly different presentations to my ears. I kept the latter - they are cracking value for money.

HD600s are good. Nowhere near as good as HD800s but nowhere near as expensive, and much easier to drive. I'd look no further, if you can find a pair at that price...

HD600 or HD650 depending on whether you like more relaxed/smooth (650) or neutral/acccurate (600) response.

The good thing about Sennheiser is that getting spare parts / repairs is straightforward in the UK, which was the problem on my old Grado's.

Easy choice, AKG Q701's by far the most revealing,widest sound stage enjoyable headphones under £500. I love mine.

Nick

Having tried most of the one's mentioned so far,i have settled on Grado RS1's,there is just something engaging about the way they sound....

Don't forget to factor in comfort. No point having the best sounding headphones if they hurt or are uncomfortable. HD600s are quite comfy, I found AKGs (on-ear type) to be less so. HD800s comfiest of all :)

advertisement

Back