advertisement

Your headphone & headphone amp history

Canamp + AKG 701s for several years, now
Weiss 202 and Chord Mojo + MrSpeakers Ethers
Also a pair of Sennheiser IE800s for use with the Mojo or iPhone/MacBook/iPad

Canamp + AKG 701s for several years, now
Weiss 202 and Chord Mojo + MrSpeakers Ethers
Also a pair of Sennheiser IE800s for use with the Mojo or iPhone/MacBook/iPad

Word on the street is the AQ Dragonfly RED sounds very good with the IE800s, Steve. You're welcome to borrow mine if you wish ;) If you want more headroom on the move, it's a no-brainer - I personally had this problem with certain albums and it was frustrating. The added detail, realism and separation is a bonus too. I didn't think I would like it but ended up buying one for my dad, then another to replace mine which was gifted to him as I missed it. It is behind the Mojo but i'm not convinced I could pick either out blindfolded. Arguably the best £170 I have spent.

I didn't realise you still have the 701, funnily enough I keep thinking about re-visiting them with my new kit. I had a pair many years ago but a benchmark DAC1 got nothing out of them, I knew they had so much more to offer but gave up after 2 different DACs - MDAC and Benchmark. I couldn't believe how much power they needed.

Slee Solo srg with Sennheiser hd600 - Chroma md2;
LD1+ with Beyer dt990 - Grado sr60, sr225;
X-can V8p with Hifiman 400i; Grado sr80e
LD2+ with Akg K340 - Grado Rs1e
Stax 006ts with sr303, sr407

I love headphones

From what I can remember;
Sennheiser HD800
Weiss DAC202
Grado PS1000
Naim DAC-V1
Chord Hugo
Stax 009
Stax 007t Kimik
Grado PS500
Mcintosh MHA100
Sennheiser HD800

Damn, nearly £25,000 worth of kit. Need a glass of wine......

Well, today I bought my second Mcintosh MHA 100 headphone amp/Dac, to compliment my HD800s. Had to sell the first one due to changing careers and needing to fund things. It was the hardest piece of equipment to sell, as I loved it. It's taken me 18 months to be able to justify another and it is sounding fantastic. Back in headphone heaven.

Also, very intrigued about your thoughts on the Stax setups you've had, and why you ended up with HD800 (as I appear to be going in the other direction). I found Stax 404Sig/006T compared very favourably to HD800/Phonitor (they're extremely close in most respects, but I just find the Stax that bit more engaging).

Sorry for delay, have only just seen new posts. I've had 3 Hugo's, each time trying to like and 'get' the fuss. The last one made me realise that for me the bass was not particularly tuneful, and I have now given up trying to like it. I liked the Weiss more, but I had the PS1000 at the time, so would be hard to directly compare.

When I had the Stax, I had a Rega Isis valve plugged into the 007t. The sound was very natural and un fatiguing, but the soundstage was a bit narrow for my liking, but a lot of other strengths. For a long time I thought I had found my perfect headphones with the PS1000, but as soon as I took a flyer on a second pair of HD800s I saw the shortcomings of the Grado. The combination of Mcintosh/HD800 is everything I want in a headphone system.
I was in the process of selling my HD800s to give up on hi fi and buy a motorcycle, but couldn't come to terms with spending all the money, and selling the 800s for a pittance. The MHA now gives me a good reason to keep them.

advertisement

Back