advertisement

Your first real hifi

Dual 710, Ortofon VMS20, various home made amps and speakers, circa 1976.

Cartridge swapped to Stanton 881, various amp/speaker rebuilds in late 1970s.

Upgrade to Rega 3/Grace 707/Supex 900 is about 1980.

Briefly lived with borrowed Naim amps in 1980, revised home made ones thoroughly trounced them. Eventually replaced home made speakers with bought ones (NZ brand, nobody would have heard of) in about 1982.

mine was a piano cassette player with a speaker I found in a skip wired of the back of terminals on the back off the resident loudspeaker.

mine was a piano cassette player with a speaker I found in a skip wired of the back of terminals on the back off the resident loudspeaker.

Luxury! And you try and tell the young people of today that.... :D

:cool:

PS: Difficult to convey a broad Yorkshire accent in a forum post...

First one on leaving school; Garrard sp25/Goldring G850, Leak Delta 30, Richard Allan Pavanes.
Then 18 months later PL12D/Ortofon M15E Super for a bit replaced with Technics 120/SME 3009 11, Goodmans 110 reciever, Tannoy 12" Monitor Golds in corner Yorks.

Hi

Garrard SP25/Goldring cartridge with some Technics amp and cassette deck, latter had the cassette held at about 45 degrees, speakers were Omar monitors. All except TT bought from B&B hifi in about 1979.

Technics stuff swapped for a radio control car (PB International ?) from Maidenhead RC models and replaced with Crimson Electrik 510/520 (probably from Billy Vee) and a Rega Planar 3 and AT31E from Reading Cassette & Hifi.

It all sounded really good to me - rose tinted ear muffs are great.

Graham

Hi John

I'm not but my parents are, well SW London to be precise. I was born in Windsor (sounds more posh than it is !).

Any reason ??

Graham

hi

everyone knows the NAd 3020 but a little old now ..... Can it Still ..

fight & play the same as it always did? what do you think does the kit?

with thanks julian..its 2011 NOW.

College student but worked part time to pay my mum off (lovely Mum took out the interest free loan for me!)

Pioneer rack system (spent ages choosing which bits I wanted and I thought it looked the dogs. And the sound too!)

With AR18s

All from Billy Vee

That was proper enough for me..... lasted years until I bought s/h Sondek and Arcam Alpha amp.

hi

everyone knows the NAd 3020 but a little old now ..... Can it Still ..

fight & play the same as it always did? what do you think does the kit?

with thanks julian..its 2011 NOW.

I never rated the 3020 at all - my mate Glen had one so we did a comparison with my 'cottage industry' Crimson 510/520. The NAD was blown into the weeds all the way into the next county.

Glen was not at all happy.... (even trying to placate him with the Crimson cost £80 more so it was bound to win etc etc did not help)

Student system also, but had a few nice bits and pieces from my dad from about the age of 12.

LP12/SME 3009II/K18
Mission DAD7000
Cyrus2 + PSX
DIY speakers & Monitor Audio Studio 6

All S/H and from bargain/pro shops in and around London.

Technics cassette deck of some sort with nice VU meters and fake wood cabinet.
Home-made amplifier: pre was from an Akai schematic found in a magazine, amp from an article in Elektor with good old SN3055 output transistors, all in my own cabinet made from angle iron. Weighed a ton but never got around to making a cover for it, so looked a bit industrial.
Home-made 3-way speakers using Siare components, 25 cm bass driver etc. Never got around to veneering them, so they looked a bit industrial too. Made a pair for my father too but he got a cherry veneer.

It worked OK.

After high school (1994) I moved in with my girlfriend at the time and 'bought her' a Technics stereo receiver and matching CDP, and a pair of JBL monitors for her birthday. I figured at the time it was really a gift for myself. About 6 months later, it became pretty clear it was her's when I got kicked out.

Went off to college 2 years later and bought an NAD 304 integrated, NAD 523 CD changer, and PSB Century 100i monitors over the course of a year. When I got the 304, I connected it to my Sony PS1 (not sure why everyone raved about it a few years ago!) and some white van my father had in his basement. I bought the PSBs pretty quickly, due to the crap nature of the white van speakers. Those got contact to my fraternity to use as party speakers. Worked pretty well in that role!

Over the course of the last 11 years since college, my system has evolved to my current one - Bryston B60 integrated, Rega DAC, and Audio Physic Yara Bookshelf. I upgraded piece by piece a few times. Couldn't be happier, and I know I'm done for a very, very long time. Maybe a cable or two here and there, but that's about it. Once I move, I can break out my TT from storage - Pro-Ject 1Xpression, Speed Box II, and Dynavector 10x5.

21st money and savings and off to Billy Vee for:

Dual CS505-2 Ortofon Cart. (Also had Nagaoka MP11 and Grado GT eventually)
NAD 3020
Kef Cantor 2
QED 79 strand.

Loved it.

The NAD is still in service at my Daughters University.

Pioneer PL12 AC with Shure M-44/7
Sansui Receiver
Sony TC 186 Cassette Deck
Baker Major 2-way kits with 30cm Bass in heavy home made infinite baffle veneered cabinets, sized on Wharfedale Dovedale dimensions.

Still own the turntable and cassette deck (along with most of everything else i've bought since). Speakers were very efficient and nicely finished with alloy angles fastened to the front baffle and grille inserted into the alloy frame. Wish I hadn't sold either the speakers or the receiver, isn't hindsight wonderful!

advertisement

Back