advertisement

your first CD

Remember it well, Phillips CD104, Human League " don't you want me". Extremely impressed and ended up purchasing with a Nad 3020a and MS10 speakers. In comparison to the Amstrad super crappo rack system I had at the time it was an absolute revelation.

My first CD was a live Durutti Column one, a Japanese import I think. I bought it thinking it would come in useful when I eventually got a CD player, though I got drunk later that evening and left it in the back of a taxi (along with a guitar lead). I've been trying to figure out what it was ever since, but I can't place it.

It was quite a few years later that I eventually bought a CD player, a Rotel RCD965BX, and I grabbed The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld and REM's Automatic For The People on the way back home with it. I bought it because I was sick and tired of tick and pop on the electronica stuff that made up much of my diet in those days, in fact I'd returned about three copies of the Orb album hence it being my first CD.

My first CD was Floored Genius, a Julian Cope/Teardop Explodes compilation, it got played so often it's knackered. I haven't been able to play the final track Safesurfer for years, and now Beautiful Love and Out Of My Mind On Dope And Speed have fallen silent too.

Metallica - ride the lightning.
Still got it, still listen to it. Wasn't very old when I bought it.

The first CD I heard was played through a Mission shoebox amp and Heybrook HB1 speakers. It nearly took the enamel of my teeth it was so harsh. Lou Reed's Transformer was in the I-can't-remember-which CD player

My first CD was a live Durutti Column one, a Japanese import I think. I bought it thinking it would come in useful when I eventually got a CD player, though I got drunk later that evening and left it in the back of a taxi (along with a guitar lead). I've been trying to figure out what it was ever since, but I can't place it.

It was quite a few years later that I eventually bought a CD player, a Rotel RCD965BX, and I grabbed The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld and REM's Automatic For The People on the way back home with it. I bought it because I was sick and tired of tick and pop on the electronica stuff that made up much of my diet in those days, in fact I'd returned about three copies of the Orb album hence it being my first CD.
The Durutti CD was called Domo Arigato. It was also my first CD and I listened to a tape of the CD for about 2 years until I bought a CD player.

Might it have been Domo Arigato, Tony? By the band that caused me to buy a CD player (a Sony CDP M79) when my local record shop told me the Durutti Column's then new album Obey The Time was not being released on vinyl. Liars!

Continuing on the theme of lost Durutti Column, my brother lost my 'Obey the Time' on a camping holiday - come to think of it he has still not replaced it, though he did give me the empty cd case back.

My first cd's were Tears For Fears album "The Hurting" and Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" played on my Marantz CD73 that if I remember right cost me £470 or thereabouts. I had an LP12/Ittok/Asak set up then with Naim amps and Kans too. Still have the CD73 and it still works. I shall have to hook it up one day and see how it sounds. The cd's I still have and are original releases and the Tears For Fears sounds much much better than the re-release you can buy now.

Do you remember your reaction on hearing your very first CD if all you were used to up till then was tapes and LPs?
Yes, I remember my reaction very clearly, I thought the sound was very tinny, like a cheap little transistor radio.I think the player was a Philips, in a local Hi-Fi shop. I couldn't imagine ever liking the new format. It was nine years later before I bought a CD player. Twenty one years later I hardly ever listen to the little silver discs, but in between times they provided some wonderful musical moments.

I don't remember if the first CD I heard was Donald Fagen's "Nightfly", or "The Tango Project" on Nonesuch, but it was one of those, the two de facto standard CD demo discs for the Spring of 1984. The player was one of those vertical jobs, a Toshiba or Kyocera I think. I thought it all seemed zippy and unsubtle sounding. I could stay in the room a lot longer with the early Philips Magnavox top loading player.

My first CDP was a Yamaha something or other around 87/88. I was amazed how some cd's sounded better than others and for a while would only buy on cd if it was DDD. This was based on a Sting cd that sounded as good as my Oracle Alexandria and a pile of AAD cd's that were unlistenable.

A few years later for my MBA dissertation I wanted to explore how the new technological advances with CD would make vinyl redundant and what strategies Linn would have to adopt as their market leading LP12 was made redundant. Who would have thought there would still be a market for turntables 25 years later and that the CD's own life cycle would be under threat from new technology.

In Order. Philips CD150, Plastic drawer 14X4 Oversampling, Philips CD360. Meridian 204, Arcam Delta with DPA PDM1 then upgraded to Series 2, Meridian 200 and DPA PDM1 Series 3(2 box DAC). Meridian 200 with DPA SX128 followed by a Chord DAC64 when the SX128 stopped working. First Actual CD was probably Tears For Fears The Hurting.

My first CDP was a Yamaha something or other around 87/88. I was amazed how some cd's sounded better than others and for a while would only buy on cd if it was DDD. This was based on a Sting cd that sounded as good as my Oracle Alexandria and a pile of AAD cd's that were unlistenable.

A few years later for my MBA dissertation I wanted to explore how the new technological advances with CD would make vinyl redundant and what strategies Linn would have to adopt as their market leading LP12 was made redundant. Who would have thought there would still be a market for turntables 25 years later and that the CD's own life cycle would be under threat from new technology.

Indeed. In the mid '80s, the Internet was still several years away, and even if datacomms existed, it was at that time 9600bps dial-up modems and no wi-fi, so the concept of being able to stream data just wasn't in anyone's thinking.

However, I'm not convinced about LP sales being anything but a temporary blip of fashion. Downloading and streaming is just too ubiquitous that physical media is going the way of the dodo. Old-timers such as me will persist with our LPs and CDs, but I can't see young people wanting to build record collections.

S

I imagine that the first CD I listened to was probably an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical as oddly my Granny was the first person I knew who owned a CDP, a horrible little Amstrad Micro System (which is still going, but fortunately has been relegated to dining room duties after my uncle bought her a half decent CDP for her lovely old Pioneer receiver and Celestion Dittons)! The first CD I bought myself was called ChartBusters, a compilation including Cotton Eye Joe and the Scatman... No prises for deducing that I was 12ish at the time!

The Philips compilation CD that came free with the Philips CD100. Still got it; and the player, though that needs fixing. Are they fixable?

advertisement

Back